Views: 650
Size:  86.5 KB

Name:  P1030194.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  94.8 KB

Name:  P1030209.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  263.9 KB
    Last edited by Brian in SLC; 03-17-2014 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Photo's out of order...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice report!
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

4. Likes Brian in SLC liked this post
    Way to go! Looks like you were well prepared for flow/ice/snow/cold. Did you anticipate the MIA return to be weather hazard ~free?

Blog Entries
    Hmm...was expecting much more snow.

Nice pics....but brrrrrrrr
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

We had reasonably good intel from a couple of sources...but...no assurances the MIA would be in good shape. We had shoe spikes, but, didn't don them.

Given the aspect of the MIA and the snowpack up high (or lack of), it seemed like a fair chance we'd be snow free on the git out.

Really unusual that the Lava Point road is open (road to West Rim trailhead not open) at this time of year. That was our kickstart for sure. Also had a source or two that had been in the area ice climbing a month prior. They were surprised how much flow was in Kolob...and...still...so was I when we got to the Boundary/Kolob confluence. Glad to have wetsuits and be in the sun for most of the pools!

8. Likes Mountaineer, ratagonia liked this post
    Love that canyon, but my hat's off to you for stepping in that water this time of year. Looks cold! :-)

Oh the "dues" on one side, and then the glee/adventure and unique March visit on the other. Something different than the norm, but par for the participants I suppose. An extra walk down to the road from the campground, then the walk through the woods to the head of the canyon. The canyon itself, a hidden beauty, and that wondrous stretch down Kolob. But the conditions, beyond what most of us have experienced. Then the march up the "yikes" MIA, walk up the road, and then up again to the campground. Big time, Long day! Low snow pack and an eye for a unique trip (plus some fit folk) make it a Spartan trip report. Reminder of years gone past, with one no longer with us. We'd stay at the campground, leave mid morning, drive down the road, walk to the canyon, rap down B and then ascend back up the lines. Drive back to the campground, mid afternoon, he'd drink and I'd go to the lookout. The MIA route has been in the rear view mirror for a decade - we quit doing it - had more glee going down and back up all those nearby canyons. But on a day in March, maybe this trip, transcends the balmy days of mid summer? Another notch and entry in the black book I suppose. (and for the casual viewer, beware, what they did - BEEG ADVENTURE - distance, daylight, temps, water, snow, ice; don't be tempted to follow lest you have the DNA or drive that these two do)

Long ago, got connected, to the Oaks, Boundary and Kolob corridors. But also disengaged from the MIA exit. Each traveler, takes his/her path. Sharing a trip with another you are close to - that's not boundaring but binding. Connecting with a partner that may ache, but doesn't whine, and in turn shares the glee! On a BIG outing in March. Wow. Somewhere, someone, filled with a bit of envy.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by reflection View Post
    Oh the "dues" on one side, and then the glee/adventure and unique March visit on the other. Something different than the norm, but par for the participants I suppose. An extra walk down to the road from the campground, then the walk through the woods to the head of the canyon. The canyon itself, a hidden beauty, and that wondrous stretch down Kolob. But the conditions, beyond what most of us have experienced. Then the march up the "yikes" MIA, walk up the road, and then up again to the campground. Big time, Long day! Low snow pack and an eye for a unique trip (plus some fit folk) make it a Spartan trip report. Reminder of years gone past, with one no longer with us. We'd stay at the campground, leave mid morning, drive down the road, walk to the canyon, rap down B and then ascend back up the lines. Drive back to the campground, mid afternoon, he'd drink and I'd go to the lookout. The MIA route has been in the rear view mirror for a decade - we quit doing it - had more glee going down and back up all those nearby canyons. But on a day in March, maybe this trip, transcends the balmy days of mid summer? Another notch and entry in the black book I suppose. (and for the casual viewer, beware, what they did - BEEG ADVENTURE - distance, daylight, temps, water, snow, ice; don't be tempted to follow lest you have the DNA or drive that these two do)

Long ago, got connected, to the Oaks, Boundary and Kolob corridors. But also disengaged from the MIA exit. Each traveler, takes his/her path. Sharing a trip with another you are close to - that's not boundaring but binding. Connecting with a partner that may ache, but doesn't whine, and in turn shares the glee! On a BIG outing in March. Wow. Somewhere, someone, filled with a bit of envy.
    You missed the BIG POINT Steve. Brian did a canyon IN THE UNITED STATES!

What is the world coming to!!!

Tom

12. Likes Brian in SLC liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    You missed the BIG POINT Steve. Brian did a canyon IN THE UNITED STATES!
    What is the world coming to!!! Tom
    Hey, I'm good for around one per year...so I'm still legit enough to give you a bad time! Ha ha.

Yeah, Steve...I thought about you guys jugging up those rappels and considered it. Remembering hearing about it with some clarity. I had the distances written down for future reference...but in the end, really wanted to walk down a bit of Kolob and hike up the MIA. Guess I'd forgot how much fun the road, in the cold wind, at the end of the day, was. Be a good route for sneaking a moped into...ha ha.

Risk. Worth a ponder. Low margin in some ways. We started early and I'd done the route fairly fast solo before. I knew my partner was up for it.

First winter descent? Ha ha...who knows...

All the best to you and yours.