Thread: Deaf Smith Canyon (Cottonwood Heights, SLC)

Deaf Smith Canyon (Cottonwood Heights, SLC)

I'm curious to know if there are access issues to this canyon. I've read that you have to cross private property to access this canyon, and that the owners, based on previous experiences are not willing to let hikers cross on private property. The 2 places I see that access the canyon are off Golden Oaks Dr or Golden hills Canyon Rd, both have "no trespassing" signs. So my questions are:

1. Is there another location that I can use to access this canyon, that doesn

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've been wondering about this too. Last time I was up that canyon was when they were building those houses. The road was posted closed right after that.
    I also wonder if it is feasible to go across the mountain face outside the subdivision on the south. Might be too steep or overgrown. I would like to try and get back there some time this summer.

It's been a long time since I last did this hike. I accessed from Golden Oaks Dr. I knew access was an issue so I parked about 1/4 mile away, jumped out of the car, and moved quickly and quietly until I was away from houses and into the canyon. No one bothered me.

Another like trick I use in these types of situations is when parking in a neighborhood I park so my vehicle is on the property line between two homes. That way the homeowners believe the vehicle has something to do with his neighbor and wont pay it any attention unless it sits for more then a day.

I'm not advocating trespassing, but I do have a problem when several homeowners have the ability to deny access to thousands of acres of Forest Service Land that belong to me (and you).

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    It's been a long time since I last did this hike. I accessed from Golden Oaks Dr. I knew access was an issue so I parked about 1/4 mile away, jumped out of the car, and moved quickly and quietly until I was away from houses and into the canyon. No one bothered me.

Another like trick I use in these types of situations is when parking in a neighborhood I park so my vehicle is on the property line between two homes. That way the homeowners believe the vehicle has something to do with his neighbor and wont pay it any attention unless it sits for more then a day.

I'm not advocating trespassing, but I do have a problem when several homeowners have the ability to deny access to thousands of acres of Forest Service Land that belong to me (and you).

YMMV
    It’s so frustrating that a few homeowners can prevent access to a beautiful canyon. It seems that most people that I have heard that have done this canyon have a similar plan, of quickly moving past the residential area quickly and quietly. From what I see on Google Earth, there are ways around, but they require much more effort and time.

If the forest service would stop dragging ass and get the BST finish this would become a non-issue.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    If the forest service would stop dragging ass and get the BST finish this would become a non-issue.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3
    This ^^^. They spend all the AF Canyon fees on primping the canyon with bathrooms when what they need to do is provide access.
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

We live in the neighborhood and walk up there quite often. I really don't think hiking there is a big deal. Best way to enter in my opinion is straight up Golden Oaks Drive after parking on Kings Hill Drive. If you take a left at the top of that dead end drive, head east for a minute, then cut back south, you will get to an upper trail that will take you right to the TH (although a steep entrance). You can see it on Google Maps. By taking that little trail, you walk above most houses on Golden Hills and you'll get a good view of the valley while you do it. Once in Deaf Smith, you can go left or right but the left is the main I'd say.

Alternatively, you can go straight up the face to get to a sub ridge of houndstooth that will overlook Deaf Smith. Very steep and you make your own trail about halfway up. Towards the top, you have to cut right, up, then back left (n) to get around the scrub oak.

These from a few weeks ago straight up the face.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

And a few shots from that face from last winter in snow. Sorry about the quality. Stealing from my Facebook page.
    Attached Images Attached Images