Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some tire recommendations

I need some tire recommendations

I have a stock 2000 4runner and I'll need to get new tires in order for it to pass inspection in June. I use it a lot on pavement, so I don't want anything so aggressive that my mileage will go way down, but I also use it for driving on some fairly rambunctious dirt roads. So, what I need is a good all-round tire. Any suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Cooper Discoverer ATR
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

I just put discoverer ATPs on my tundra last summer and I love them. Not quite as aggressive as the duratracs I have on my 4 runner, but you said something a little more tame. The ATPs are also a really good price

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar.. I have those on both my 4Runners. Damned fine tire for street and offroad. Strong puncture resistance and tough sidewall.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar.. I have those on both my 4Runners. Damned fine tire for street and offroad. Strong puncture resistance and tough sidewall.
    What do they cost? $450 each?
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    What size do you have? Are they the stock size?

I've had these on our Tahoe for almost a year now and have zero problems with them and so far have been nothing but pleased. Smooth, tough and just aggressive enough. Definitely a step up for BFG as the All Terrain T/A and Mud Terrain T/A are getting pretty dated tech wise.

Name:  Rugged Terrain TA.JPG
Views: 285
Size:  127.0 KB

We had Terra Grapplers on before and got about 55K before they were worn out. Excellent all around tire, low maintenance.

Name:  Terra Grapplers.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  60.5 KB

Michellin MS2. Best tires I've ever had.

Some of my clients use them on their vehicles and travel up and down the mountains virtually every weekend, in all kinds of weather. They swear by them, I do too.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

I need some tire recommendations

Michelins are a premium ride, but they come at a premium price.

Like I said, my discoverers were a great tire at a great price. They may be a little heavy for a 4 runner though, mind are E load rated...

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Michelins are a premium ride, but they come at a premium price.

Like I said, my discoverers were a great tire at a great price. They may be a little heavy for a 4 runner though, mind are E load rated..
    I almost bought the Discoverer ATP's over the BFG Rugged Terrain T/A's, but I just didn't like the look of the lines on the sidewall--I know, stupid reason.

The ATP's do come with a 55,000 mile warranty and excellent reviews though. And they have plenty of sizes to fit a stock 4runner in the correct load range.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sun Dance View Post
    What do they cost? $450 each?
    No, they were less than $200/each and yes - I am running stock size for my 4Runners.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

This would be my choice also and they are on sale at discount
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395079388.161010.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  14.6 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second the BFG Rugged Terrains. That is what I run and they are a good all around tire.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    Crowdfunding for the outdoors... http://www.gearbacker.com/join-community. Gear Backer is always looking for people to join our writing, blogging or social team. Join our Community and let us sponsor your next adventure.

I like Duratracs. I used MTR's for years but am not crazy about the mileage I got from the kevlar ones so switched. Duratracs are much quieter and have excellent traction on/off road.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

I have been running retreads on my nissan for a while now. I love them $100 bucks a tire for BFG A/T. www.treadwright.com I would vote for the BFG rugged terrains as well, excellent tire. I have the cooper ATP on my work truck. I personally think they are a terrible tire. They are horrible in the snow/dirt in comparison to the BFG A/T. Treadwright's "kedge guard does amazingly well in snow and ice as well and is only a few bucks more per tire. Personal preference though. They are also on a beat up POS Ranger so take that into account.

I believe the Goodyear Triple Treads come in a size to fit your vehicle. I run them on my Subarus, they do great in everything from snow to gravel. I wouldn't do anything too serious offroad though.

If you have any plans of hot desert leave the coopers at home and get a real tire.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

So here it is:

Toughness - goodyear AT kevlar

Mileage - Michelin

Value - cooper ATP

Traction - duratracs

LNT

I run the BFG AT KO on my Tacoma. I did not do the e rated one. No need for that much extra stiffness and rotational mass. I've been very pleased with it. It originally came with the BFG Rugged Trail tire. Those were weak in snow and wore pretty quickly. The BFG AT wears well, is tough, versatile and I tend to get about 80K miles out of a set.

The Duratracs are a good tire, excellent traction, but they wear quickly, only about 40K for a set from what I've seen.

I have big o a/t tires on my truck they have thick sidewalls. Thicker tread. I have driven them 45,000 mile in the last two years on highway and mining roads with no problems.

I also like the Michellin MS2

Don't go cheap on your tires they are very important.

Quote Originally Posted by phatch View Post
    The Duratracs are a good tire, excellent traction, but they wear quickly, only about 40K for a set from what I've seen.
    I suppose the same could be said for Super Swampers, but that's what they're made for.