Thread: Fat Tire Bikes - What the Big Deal?

Fat Tire Bikes - What the Big Deal?

I had somebody (a non biker) ask me that yesterday and I had no answer. I know you can ride them on the snow...

I've seen several manufacturers jumping on the wagon and I know they are really popular right now.

Why? What are the benefits? Is it just a fad?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Stability in dirt, mud and snow and great for catching air. My office is huge in the mountain biking thing and most are moving away from 29's to Fire Tire bikes..
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Interesting, seems like a lot of mass to pedal?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    I had somebody (a non biker) ask me that yesterday and I had no answer. I know you can ride them on the snow...

I've seen several manufacturers jumping on the wagon and I know they are really popular right now.

Why? What are the benefits? Is it just a fad?
    great for the playa silt at Burning Man

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Interesting, seems like a lot of mass to pedal?
    Yes it is. A lot more friction, which means more energy needed to pedal. Think about the difference between pedaling a mountain bike and a road bike on the street. Try keeping up with the roadies on a mountain bike. Not gonna happen. The fat tire bikes are not as good for every day riding. But they are great for snow and mud.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I work at a bike shop here in meridian idaho. Fat tire bikes are so damn popular this year. From November to January we sold about 30 salsa muks/beargrease ranging from 2-5k. Some people it's their only bike most others it's like their fifth. Most these customers aren't really concerned with going fast and the fat bikes seem really sure footed and stable. For the people that are riding them in the summer, they're building up 29 plus wheelsets (29x3.0) which will fit straight on to the salsa frames.

After riding one (carbon beargrease) in a relay race a few weeks ago, I would conclude riding bikes in snow even with fat tires makes little to no sense. However, sand is a complete hoot and it's just hilarious riding wheelies down the block on them.

There is a definite fun factor to fatbike riding. It's a whole different feeling, especially going downhill. More of a floating feeling. I don't think I've ever 'whooped and hollard' more on a bike than when flying (floating) down the Alpine Loop road on 5" of fresh snow! We have also been able to pedal the same summer mtn. biking trails (Ridge Trail #157) once they get packed down by snowshoe'rs. You can't do that on a regular mtn. bike tire. Would I ever ride it during the summer along the Wasatch Front? No. That's what mtn. bikes are for, but I don't begrudge those who do, and we'll start to see more and more guys doing it this summer.
    Are we there yet?

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    I came to the conclusion I hate road biking so I sold my Amira and bought a fat tire picked up a 2014 Salsa Mukluk 2 off of KSL. I LOVE it! First ride was out on Guacamole Mesa. I had a blast. Yes after riding the extension on the mesa I was exhausted and getting that bike up little hills was easier if I got off and walked but I still had a grin a mile wide on my face. And few sand spots I rode through so easy I can't wait to try this in a long stretch of sand. Next trail was Bearclaw Poppy. Slow going up and hella bumpy coming back down! I did want my full suspension at that point...but I was still smiling! Next trail BST in Ogden. Extremely slow but I rolled over rocks like nothing was there. I figure by the time I fix my flat tire on full suspension and start riding it I should fly after pedaling my fatty everywhere. Very last trail was one in the hills of Idaho Falls. Soft dirt and loose rock... again nothing but smiles on this girls face. Only thing I haven't done yet...is ride in the snow. I can't wait!!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Chere'

11. Likes BruteForce liked this post