Thread: Got any GPS recommendations?

Got any GPS recommendations?

My Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx that I bought several years ago isn't connecting to the satellites like it used to. I want to get a new once since I've started to lose confidence in the one I have. I'm looking to buy a new GPS and was wondering which GPS everyone on the forum recommends using? and why? Any recommendations?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I like my etrex 20. Cheap, small and descent battery life. The PC software, Basecamp is easy enough to use yet powerful. Tons of free maps are available online. I think it is also listed as IPX7 (sp) but I've never dunked mine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I use the Garmin eTrex 30. They run about $270. REI should be sending out 20% off coupons this month, March. I like the GPS because it does NOT have a touch screen. Touch screens are easier to damage, but are nice if you do a lot of GPS work. The eTrex 30 has the 3-axis compass so when you stand still it will still point to the next way point. It also has a barometric pressure sensor, which will give you better altitude measurements.

I have found that it takes a few minutes to lock on to satellites if I am in a completely new area. If I turn it off, then hike for a few days, it remembers where the satellites were and locks on to them in under a minute. Unless you do a lot of GPS work, I think the eTrex is the perfect GPS for the backpacker that uses it to locate themselves on a map.

5. Likes CanyonBarbie liked this post
    I love my Oregon 450. I miss my Map60 CSX a little though, but I don't miss the ancient method of toggling the cursor to write text and move the cursor. The touchscreen is a dream to use, write text and navigate. The only downside I've found to the 450 is diminished battery life, only about 12 hours on a set of rechargeables.

Garmin is discontinuing this particular model but on the plus side, you can get a new one shipped to your house for $199 right now on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Garmin-O...item2ecbd1fdfc

eTrex 20 is what I use, good value, does the job - excellent satellite lock (including Glonas)

Map and Compass baby!!!!

9. Likes ratagonia, CanyonBarbie liked this post
    Use to have a 60 csx now Oregon 450. Both have their advantages. 450 more user friendly. Touch screen is nice.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mzamp View Post
    Map and Compass baby!!!!

Bad Ass!
    I wanted to remember what true love feels like. My love for adventure, my love for the beauty of this place, and places like it, and my love for the struggle that it takes to see it, for with adventure, you always get back what you put in.

Quote Originally Posted by mzamp View Post
    Map and Compass baby!!!!
    I navigate using nothing but the sun and stars. A map and compass is for pussies.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

13. Likes CanyonBarbie liked this post