Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help choosing between canyons

I have been told that Knotted Rope has stopped people going down the canyon when the potholes have been flushed clean of sand, but that was a long time ago.

The sand level seemed low when we went through last fall. Fun going downstream, but I'd bet very difficult going up. "Turning around and going home" is a big deal to me. Wasting a canyon day is a crime!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    I have been told that Knotted Rope has stopped people going down the canyon when the potholes have been flushed clean of sand, but that was a long time ago.
    Same old story.... it's all pretty easy so long as you are not outside your skill set.

The only folks Knotted Rope has ever stopped is those who were not prepared.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Going up Quandary bypass, then down direct and back up bypass then down Knotted Rope was one of my favorite days canyoneering.

Quandary generally wasn't that great, however the Direct portion, as short as it is, is fantastic. Also, the view of Direct while going up the bypass (like Shane's pic) is one of my top 'this is absolutely amazing' canyoneering views.

I thought Knotted Rope was a riot, and was damn near giddy. It was completely full of water though. I think Bob had other experiences with it low.

If they are both full of water and you can navigate up Quandary I couldn't recommend it enough. Defer to Shane as he is the expert here though. I was shown the way by Tom so it probably isn't as easy to find your way up as I remember it.

It is a long hike, I believe it was around 11 hours with 4ish hours of suck and the rest super fun.

5. Likes Taylor liked this post
    A comment related to your original post: You have The Squeeze on your list. If your group hasn't done it yet, do not miss this canyon! The Squeeze is absolutely fantastic. I have done Quandary a few times and it's good wet or dry. When full of water(last year) we jumped and splashed through the direct section. When dry, there are some very good potholes to overcome.

If you're choosing between Capitol and the Swell, save Capitol Reef for another year. YMMV

7. Likes mcweyen liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    "Turning around and going home" is a big deal to me. Wasting a canyon day is a crime!
    Just a quick heads up.... that attitude is probably the number one reason for search and rescue.

It is often combined with questionable weather, preparation or skills, which combine to form the perfect recipe for disaster.

Sometimes it's wise to pack up and live to play another day.

YMMV

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

9. Likes hank moon liked this post
    Does this crack go through? Can this be part of the bypass?

Name:  QuandaryBypass.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  96.2 KB

The bypass allows you to go around just the section of big, deep, potholes and is a good mile south of the point you have marked.

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-03-12 at 8.34.28 PM.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  142.2 KB

Awesome, thank you much! Wasn't seeing it on any of the routed maps I've looked at.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Absolute Gravity View Post
    Going up Quandary bypass, then down direct and back up bypass then down Knotted Rope was one of my favorite days canyoneering.

Quandary generally wasn't that great, however the Direct portion, as short as it is, is fantastic. Also, the view of Direct while going up the bypass (like Shane's pic) is one of my top 'this is absolutely amazing' canyoneering views.

I thought Knotted Rope was a riot, and was damn near giddy. It was completely full of water though. I think Bob had other experiences with it low.

If they are both full of water and you can navigate up Quandary I couldn't recommend it enough. Defer to Shane as he is the expert here though. I was shown the way by Tom so it probably isn't as easy to find your way up as I remember it.

It is a long hike, I believe it was around 11 hours with 4ish hours of suck and the rest super fun.
    Actually, RAM showed US that up-route, which I had not done before. It is a classic Ram route, finding clever ways to sneak around the difficulties. I would not be tempted to try to describe it. I think it is unlikely for someone to find it without a good description from Ram, though I think I could find it if I was physically there.

Knotted Rope is a hoot when full of water. Not as full, not so much fun. I agree with Bob that getting UP Knotted Rope could easily be a no-go. Although you might be able to reverse my ridge-walk route: http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/image...dRidgewalk.pdf

However, my suggestion would be to do Quandary Direct. If it works well and is almost full, then perhaps Knotted Rope. Both better to do from Hidden Splendor, as is The Squeeze via the Miner's Route. Enough information for that here: http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/...ary-sept-2012/

Tom

14. Likes mcweyen liked this post
    Going up Knotted Rope is not something every overweight middle-aged weekend canyoneer and his girlfriend is going to be successful at.

Going up Knotted Rope is how you separate the players from the posers ;-)

It's a fun test piece with little downside for failure other than damaged pride.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

16. Likes mcweyen liked this post
    On this trip, we'll have some legit and some who might not make it. If I were to cherry pick the crew, we'd get through, but I'm going to play it safe after what I've read here and go the Ramp Canyon route. Us Boise people get so few days in the awesome Utah canyons that a wasted day would really be a bum deal. I think we'll add a little onto the Quandary day and go to the top of the Reef where Knotted Rope starts just for the view. Since we only have three days in the area, I think Quandary, The Squeeze and Cable is the way to go. It also fits our overall course of travel of the whole trip to do Factory Butte over Hidden Splendor. Thanks for all the advice!! Much appreciated!

18. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Actually, RAM showed US that up-route, which I had not done before. It is a classic Ram route, finding clever ways to sneak around the difficulties.
    That's pretty funny. I remember you two taking different paths up certain parts of the route and I followed you, thinking it was your route and you knew the best way up.

20. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Absolute Gravity View Post
    That's pretty funny. I remember you two taking different paths up certain parts of the route and I followed you, thinking it was your route and you knew the best way up.
    Except in Zion, when given a choice of following Ram or following me, follow Ram.

I often choose routes that are less-steep, as Ram is stronger than me.

Tom