Thread: Winter Mountaineering in Colorado

Winter Mountaineering in Colorado

Kessler (my 11 year old son), Shaylee (my 9 year old daughter), Kimberly (my wife), and I had planned to go to the Section House (cabin) on Boreas Pass for some peak climbing over Presidents Day weekend. Unfortunately, the weather forecast was for another blizzard! It seemed to be a common trip this year whenever we planned a trip!

We had hoped for a good trip anyway and hoped that we would have reasonable conditions enough that we could climb a peak or two.

It actually turned out to be a good, but challenging trip!

Kimberly with Bald Mountain in the background. If you look close you can pick up our tracks all the way along the ridgeline.

February 14

Although the weather forecast was bad, we decided to head for Section House Friday night anyway. We could at least try it and turn back if necessary.

[FONT=Verdana]We didn
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. Likes powderglut liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice trip.
    It truly amazes me that after all the snow that has fallen in the state, the ridges are practically devoid of snow from the wind. Too much big wind this year.

It truly amazes me that after all the snow that has fallen in the state, the ridges are practically devoid of snow from the wind. Too much big wind this year.
    Yes, I think it's always super windy up there. The advantage of that is that the ridgelines themselves offer safer avalanche free routes, as long as you stay on the crest.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.