Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zions in May

Zions in May

Looking for suggestions for canyoneering in Zions in May. I've been down Mystery and Birch Hollow, but nothing else in Zions so far. Don't know if waiting till heat of Summer is significantly better or not.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

May can be chilly if you're doing wet canyons, but with proper protection its not bad. That time of year I would suggest spry and pine creek as really good canyons. Also that would be a great time to do fat mans misery, the canyon is short and there is a lot of hiking involved so doing it when its not as hot during the day is a great idea. There are some that dislike Behunin, but I had a blast when I did it for the first time so I would consider that one as well. The problem with waiting for the heat of the summer is then you either have to start at a ridiculous time in the morning or end up doing the approach hike in the heat.

Is it Zions Bank that people confuse with Zion National Park ??

5. Likes walkthetaco liked this post
    Must be. Seems to be a Utah thing. Usually it is the out of state tourist that happen to mispronounce places they are visiting, but in Utah, it's all the in staters mispronouncing the National Park. No one from out of state that I know of calls it Zions, but you hear it all the time from Utahns. I think it is because of the bank.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deagol View Post
    They are hard to confuse.

Kokopelli - Zions Banks are effectively climate-controlled and well insulated from the elements, so I do not think there will be any difficulties with discomfort while you are there.

Tom

8. Likes xxnitsuaxx, walkthetaco liked this post
    Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions

You guys are going to waste away your lives trying to convince everyone in Utah to say say ZION instead of ZIONS. and guess what, it doesn't even matter!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

That bank name has always drove me crazy. Shouldn't it be Zion's bank or Zion Banks? Zions Bank is all wrong.

And yes, the mispronouncing of the park name gets me also.

11. Likes deagol liked this post
    That bank name has always drove me crazy. Shouldn't it be Zion's bank or Zion Banks? Zions Bank is all wrong.
    It appears that it was intentional. Looking it up, it used to be Zion's until they merged with Utah Savings and Trust Company and First National Bank in 1957 and then became Zions First National Bank.

You guys are going to waste away your lives trying to convince everyone in Utah to say say ZION instead of ZIONS.
    Nah, everyone knows where Zions National Park is. It's right by Springdales. Duh!

Anyway, some more people should answer kokopelli's question (Tom?). It's been a dry year thus far, so it's possible that canyons will be under summer conditions much earlier than normal. Even Echo Canyon was snow free and nearly dry in mid-May 2007 when we did it.

It's too early to tell how things will shake out by then, but some canyons worth considering would be Hidden, Behunin, Misery, Spry, or Icebox. If conditions continue to be dry, there would be a lot more options (for somewhat normal [if there is such a thing] conditions-obviously canyons have been descended in winter and during the off season). Imlay might even be good in May if you are prepared. The potholes may (or may not) be mostly full then. Orderville or Right Fork might be good with a good wetsuit.

Anyway, reservations for May opened up March 5. If you want a permit for a popular canyon, at least on a weekend, the earlier the better.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

13. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Anyway, some more people should answer kokopelli's question (Tom?).
    I answered the question he asked. If he asks about Zion National Park, I would be glad to offer up an opinion on that.

We have different words to label different things to keep them distinct.

(Hard to say about May in Zion National Park. A lot can happen between now and then. Might actually have some winter.)

Tom

I actually grew up in Chicago area, but I've lived in Utah so long now that I guess I've been corrupted.

16. Likes jman liked this post
    I didn't want to mention any of the harder ones like Imlay since from the two canyons listed and lack of experience mentioned I figured he was a beginner. Icebox is an awesome canyon and not that hard, but it is a LOT of work for the canyon you get. What you get though is quite scenic and worth it at least once though. If my assumption was right and you are a beginner, make sure you take the north pass route.

Quote Originally Posted by kokopelli99 View Post
    Looking for suggestions for canyoneering in Zions in May. I've been down Mystery and Birch Hollow, but nothing else in Zions so far. Don't know if waiting till heat of Summer is significantly better or not.
    http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/zion/

http://www.store.canyoneeringusa.com...78&id=10914091

Jus' sayin'...

While cashing a check at Zions today I asked the cashier if anyone had ever rappelled through the ceiling into their bank vault, Mission Impossible style.

She said yes, that she could show me how to, but then I couldn't tell anyone. She then said it would be OK if I wanted to show other people in the future.

I was very confused, but agreed to her terms and conditions.

So, Kokopelli, now that this beta has been shared with me, I can show you how to rappel in Zions this May. I just can't tell you about it on the interwebs.

20. Likes ratagonia, SRG liked this post
    Cardinal Sins of Canyoneering

1. Pushing over goblins
    2. G-pick
    3. Trespassing on the Navajo Nation
    4. Spraying beta about the Fiery Furnace
    5. Taking noobs into Chambers
    6. Making woopie on the watertank near the MIA
    7. Referring to Zion as Zions

22. Likes Brian in SLC, Kuya, pikan, jman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions Zions
    Calling our beloved park Zions is worse than CANCER, Blakes!

24. Likes Kuya, pikan liked this post
    The Zions thing

Kinda OCD.

It actually annoys mainly only utah people. Especially the ones who can't pronounce the 'A' in Hurricane.

"Zions" images. Straight from Bing
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394165135.617201.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  4.3 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26. Likes SRG, jman liked this post
    My recommendation is to do whatever canyon you feel like doing and are prepared for. Most canyons in "Zion" have been done at all times of the year.

28. Likes Taylor liked this post
    My favorite canyon to do in Zion in May is: anything you can get a permit for. There is no bad time of year to do a canyon in Zion, there are only poor gear choices.
    @Scott P, you can't drop a line like #6 above without sharing details. Spill.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post

You guys are going to waste away your lives trying to convince everyone in Utah to say say ZION instead of ZIONS. and guess what, it doesn't even matter!
    Yeah, I have already spent many years on this mission, and sadly I haven't yet converted a single soul

Scott P, you can't drop a line like #6 above without sharing details.
    It wasn't me who did it, but it is one of the rumored incidences that lead to the closure of Oak Creek. It's on an old canyons group post, but the search function on that forum doesn't seem to work anymore.