Thread: Englestead Exit....

Englestead Exit....

So I have a trip for Englestead coming up in May and I was wondering which exit to take. Is it preferable to just exit out of Orderville to avoid the shuttle or continue down the Narrows?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The exit down Orderville is a pretty hike and I would strongly suggest it if you've never done it. The section of Orderville above Englstead isn't as spectacular. So take your pick: a longer day with more hiking and more scenery or get done quicker with a smaller shuttle. For me, the longer day has been worth it every time.

I agree with burley, I've done both and while each way had its own charms, the exit down orderville and out the narrows is by far the more scenic of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    I agree with burley, I've done both and while each way had its own charms, the exit down orderville and out the narrows is by far the more scenic of the two.
    Thanks Thomas and Burley....Is the exit up Orderville hard to identify?

No, when you get to orderville its obvious, turn left to go down canyon and turn right to head up.

No, when you get to orderville its obvious, turn left to go down canyon and turn right to head up.
    Thanks, just wasn't sure if there was a climb out that could be missed if exiting up orderville...

If you are planning on exiting up then I would bring a GPS and mark where you park your car. Its not that hard to find in the light, but if you get delayed for some reason and end up coming out in the darknthen there are a spots where the social trail becomes less obvious and its easy lose. When you hit orderville/englestead jct you turn right and hike for I think it was about an hour or so, but that just from memory. Then when you get to the head of the canyon off to the right you head up a steep hill for maybe a 100 yards and from there its fairly easy walking with a well worn trail leading back to the cars.

Englestead without going down Orderville is like getting married and skipping the honeymoon.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Agreed the exit down Orderville is better than going up. The only problem you may have is the Narrows (and all tributaries) are often closed during parts of May due to the river running high. I don't know how the snow pack is looking for down there.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonater View Post
    Thanks, just wasn't sure if there was a climb out that could be missed if exiting up orderville...
    You might want to look at a map. This would perhaps indicate what you are in for. Also, there are five tons of information about this on the interwebs, if you wanna do a little searching. (apparently not).

There is a short chimney climb near the Park Boundary, somewhat difficult. There's bolts right there, so you can top-rope all but the first person. I found it challenging during a flashflood...

The jeep trail down to the cul-de-sac in Orderville is challenging, even for fully-capable vehicles. Obviously, it takes two fully-capables to spot a car there.

Overall, it really does not save much time to go UP Orderville partly because that car-spot takes about an hour to do. Can also park at the Orderville Corral, just off the North Fork Road, which is 2WD compatible. Shorter car spot, somewhat longer hike. Overall about the same.

In the unlikely event that the Narrows closes for snowmelt flood, going up Orderville would be the only choice.

Tom

12. Likes Taylor liked this post
    Several years ago we hired a shuttle from one of the outfitters in Springdale to drop us off at the top of Englestead. (I think it was Zion Rock and Mountain Guides, but others offer the same service.) It was $30 or $35 a person at the time. In my opinion it was worth it not have to recover a vehicle.

I've hired shuttles several times for Orderville tributaries, if your time is valuable they are very reasonably priced.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

15. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
    I would whole heartedly agree with the above.....
    Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Nobody goes up Orderville from Englestead, that would be crazy....

Down is were the goods are....(until you reach the "stick" people.)
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

18. Likes Canyonater, Taylor liked this post
    "The stick people". That's awesome, never heard them called that.

Add another vote for going down Orderville after Englestead.

20. Likes Canyonater liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Nobody goes up Orderville from Englestead, that would be crazy....

Down is were the goods are....(until you reach the "stick" people.)
    Agree with down versus up.

"Stick people"...I prefer the "Poopy posse".
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Thanks everyone for the input. Always good to get current opinion in my opinion. Looks like I will be changing my permit to exit down Orderville...