Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CRITR rappel device demo

CRITR rappel device is here http://canyonwerks.com
    Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and feedback!
    Todd and Desi
    Name:  critr final.jpg
Views: 2642
Size:  48.0 KB

2. Likes Kuya liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm not really in the market for a new rap device but this makes me want one! Will definitely consider it after my ATS wears. I love the ATS and this looks like a similar yet improved design. I like the larger hole and never really use the dual belay holes. I guess it's nice to have one just in case.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Hey Canyonexplorer
    Yes, it is kind of though you took an ATS (or Pirana) and said: what if there were REALLY BIG things to hook the rope(s) around instead of little hooks?
    One of the weird (and happy) results from the CRITR design, is that the rope 'twisting up' is greatly reduced. (Still not completely sure why).
    Having the ability to add (and subtract) friction on rappel is nice too.
    We hope you get a chance to take a ride on one- lots of people in Vegas using CRITRs if you get out this way, and...is there a canyoneering shop in Arizona you would like to see carry them?
    Best, Todd and Desi

Quote Originally Posted by harness man View Post
    is there a canyoneering shop in Arizona you would like to see carry them?
    Arizona Hiking Shack would be a natural.

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    Arizona Hiking Shack would be a natural.
    Agreed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Send my funds waiting for delivery.:)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

9. Likes harness man liked this post

Name:  CRITRs in HEAPS.jpg
Views: 1416
Size:  76.2 KB
    The CRITR in HEAPS Canyon Zion National Park....4-8-14 four of my canyoneering friends and I descended Heaps...three of us used the CRITR...I can not say enough good things about it...as everyone knows the most famous part of Heaps are the last raps including the 280' free hang at the end...I had a sixty pound pack between my legs and my descent was flawless....I spun less than twice over that dis...tance....and spinning is a huge issue on a long free hang....the CRITR is super easy to adust on rappel and even on a free hang I used their middle setting...this picture is in the middle of Heaps...the person in Orange has the new orange CRITR and the person on the right has a silver prototype...there is no better rap device on the market PERIOD.
    Posted by Bryan Aitchison on Canyonwerks,LLC facebook page on 4-9-14
    Thanks and Congratulations Bryan!
    Todd and Desi

12. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Well I didn't do Heaps, but I took my new orange Critr thru Keyhole and Pinecreek today. Best device I've ever used. You can effortlessly add friction on the go. Start the rappel at lightest setting and just weave the rope thru the hooks when needed. Friction on each setting feels like an atc but the hooks are the difference makers.

Thanks for your feed back Mark!
    The CRITR is kinda fun, huh?
    Steve and Carl on the CRITR in Keyhole this weekend

Name:  Steve and Carl CRITR in Keyhole.jpg
Views: 1318
Size:  77.0 KB

Buzzed thru Mystery today, I'm sold.

16. Likes harness man liked this post
    Nice!!!
    Pictures???

Some reason in the last upgrade of Bogley I struggle to upload pictures.

Received my CRITR about two weeks ago. Been practicing in my garage and I will finally use it in Pinecreek this Saturday. Pumped to get some rope grooves in it!
    Grab life by the rope!

Phil

20. Likes harness man liked this post
    Hey Phillabb
    Let us know how it goes! (pictures please)
    Best, Todd and Desi
    And: "grab life by the rope" could be a great T-shirt...

CRITR wear update:
    Desi and I have been rapping on our original CRITRs since their inception but have NOT managed to wear one out yet!
    We are week-enders though, and have not been in as many sandy canyons as many of you.
    We would like to break test five worn out CRITRS.
    IF you have a WORN OUT CRITR (as in, really trashed) then post photos (of both sides of your CRITR) here, and if we decide it really is done (like sawn at least 1/3 to 1/2 way thru!) then we will provide shipping and replace your worn one with a BRAND shiny new CRITR.
    yes...FREE CRITR
    Needless to say, this offer is only good for the first five destroyed CRITRS
    BEST
    Todd and Desi http://canyonwerks.com

23. Likes hank moon liked this post
    I have been using my new CRITR for 2 weeks now and find the rope twists much more than Harness Man suggests. I'm using the CRITR single strand, position A (no additional friction) on a used Imlay 8.3mm Canyon Fire rope.

The rope may un-twist itself if the rope is free-hanging, but personally I like the end of the rope to still be in the ropebag at the foot of the rapell.

Suggestions welcomed.

Rob

25. Likes harness man liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    I have been using my new CRITR for 2 weeks now and find the rope twists much more than Harness Man suggests. I'm using the CRITR single strand, position A (no additional friction) on a used Imlay 8.3mm Canyon Fire rope.

The rope may un-twist itself if the rope is free-hanging, but personally I like the end of the rope to still be in the ropebag at the foot of the rapell.

Suggestions welcomed.

Rob
    I suggest focusing on the real benefits of this very good device and ignoring the marketing stuff. :)

(sorry, Todd - couldn't resist)

27. Likes harness man liked this post
    Hi Rob and Hank
    All marketing aside, our experience has been that the CRITR reduces rope twist, but does NOT eliminate it.
    Rope twist is the result of many factors, and the rope itself plays a major role:
    One thing for sure with ALL rope brands, regardless of the condition (stiffness, etc) is that if the rope goes in to the bag with twists, it will always come out of the bag with twists.
    And twists have a tendency to accumulate over time if most rappellers on the rope are rapping right handed (left handed people on the same device will help to un-twist the rope).
    Desi and I try to stretch our ropes out in the yard and work out any residual twists so we are hitting the canyon with the rope"fresh".
    Sometimes (depending on the rope brand and diameter) stiffness may contribute to the tendency to twist.
    Washing the rope (even with a little fabric softener) can really improve the handling of a older stiff rope.
    (There is a thread on this here somewhere- Tom comments on this...)
    Our bench mark for rope twisting is the ATS (the device we used before the CRITR) and we have found the CRITR to be a significant improvement by comparison.
    Hope that helps!
    Best, Todd and Desi

29. Likes hank moon, ratagonia, deagol liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by harness man View Post
    CRITR wear update:
    Desi and I have been rapping on our original CRITRs since their inception but have NOT managed to wear one out yet!
    We are week-enders though, and have not been in as many sandy canyons as many of you.
    We would like to break test five worn out CRITRS.
    IF you have a WORN OUT CRITR (as in, really trashed) then post photos (of both sides of your CRITR) here, and if we decide it really is done (like sawn at least 1/3 to 1/2 way thru!) then we will provide shipping and replace your worn one with a BRAND shiny new CRITR.
    yes...FREE CRITR
    Needless to say, this offer is only good for the first five destroyed CRITRS
    BEST
    Todd and Desi http://canyonwerks.com

Hey Todd and Desi!

It's Bronic. Mine is very worn. I'm about to purchase a new one. I've done many long canyons with it including Heaps, Imlay, Poe, Englestead, Spry and the Maze twice. I have single stranded and double stranded alot. Can I send mine back to you guys for testing?

PS: I found Spry with sand and water to wear it and my carabiner down very quickly as you'd expect.

Let me know.

Thanks!
    Bronic

31. Likes harness man liked this post