Thread: Making Plans

Making Plans

Every spring I like to take a trip down to Southern Utah or Arizona backpacking in the canyon country. Anybody have any recommendations? I love the slots, but I don't have any rope or gear, so I can't do anything super technical. Here are some that I have done, so that you don't waste any time recommending them: Coyote Gulch, Buckskin Gulch, Willow & 40 Mile Gulch, Dark Canyon, Death Hollow, and the Escalante River. I would like to try some place new, so if you have any great places that I did not already mention, that would be awesome. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You could always take your dog up Big or Little Cottonwood.

Anyway, which part of spring? There is a big difference for recommendations from say late March vs late May.

Also, are you looking for hikes with wading or do you want to avoid water? Is swimming OK? Are you taking your dog? How long of a hike? 20 miles or 120 miles?

One recommendation for April would be Grand Gulch, but you can
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I think I will be avoiding the cottonwoods for a while. ;) Lol. I will be going mid May. Does not necessarily have to be dog friendly, as I have arranged for them to be taken care of while I am gone if need be. I would like it to be 3-4 days with no more than 40 miles. And I don't mind swimming at all!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Hola ahansen,
    Have you checked out Canyoneering 2 by Steve Allen? It's a good book... and thorough. Lot's of info on non or minimally technical canyons. It's a good book... and thorough.

I know it doesn't answer your question at all, but if possible you may want to consider buying a harness/rappel device($75) and then posting on here stating your experience level and looking to tag along with a group.
    Having the gear/skills for technical canyons would open up many beautiful slots for your viewing pleasure!

I haven't read that one. I'll have to check it out. Thanks. :) I'm considering getting more involved in the technical stuff. Maybe I'll have to invest in some gear soon!

I will be going mid May.
    Escalante is prime in mid-May, especially since most canyons have water. Bull Valley Gorge/Deer Creek/Willis Creek is good then too. Halls Creek Narrows is really good in may and there is lots to explore.

The possibilities for Escalante are endless. One great loop is the Choprock/Silver Falls Loop. Egypt/25 Mile Wash is another. You can visit places like Neon Canyon and Ringtail along the way.

For any of the above, bring a pair of lightweight long pants in case the deer flies are out. Mostly, the only bite bare legs.

Canyoneering 3 covers many loop routes in the Escalante area and is best source for loop hikes there. It is the best book in the canyoneering series.

Canyoneering 2 is an OK book and has several loop hikes, but be aware that most of them cross a bunch of well used roads, so it seems weird (to me) to carry a full backpack on a week long trip if you are going to be crossing a bunch of well used roads.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by ahansen60 View Post
    Every spring I like to take a trip down to Southern Utah or Arizona backpacking in the canyon country. Anybody have any recommendations? I love the slots, but I don't have any rope or gear, so I can't do anything super technical. Here are some that I have done, so that you don't waste any time recommending them: Coyote Gulch, Buckskin Gulch, Willow & 40 Mile Gulch, Dark Canyon, Death Hollow, and the Escalante River. I would like to try some place new, so if you have any great places that I did not already mention, that would be awesome. Thanks!
    Something different!?
    Maybe a little bit of Marble Canyon GCNP?

http://www.zionnational-park.com/sou...and-canyon.htm

Something different!?
    Maybe a little bit of Marble Canyon GCNP?
    I really like Marble Canyon, but be aware that it can be really hot in mid-May, especially hiking back out!

X2 for Grand Gulch.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I really like Marble Canyon, but be aware that it can be really hot in mid-May, especially hiking back out!
    That's the beauty of it Scott! Hike in, set up camp, take a nice dip in the 50 deg. water, head on downriver to Vaseys, fill up jugs of water, come back to camp, have a nice boulder session on the limestone wall, cast out to catch a few trout for dinner (assuming you brought a pole and license?), scour the eddy beach shore for some "river schwagg", settle back and enjoy the evening! Head down to the exploratory damsite drilling, a little further down gaze across at Redwall Cavern and imagine Powells journey. Head back to camp and gather some more fresh water at Vaseys. Check out some of the ruins on the bench above camp, take a stroll up South Canyon, back to catch some more trout, settle in for the evening. Wake early, take a 5am morning dip to rid the head of cobwebs, pack and be out to the car by 12pm! Yeah.....that's what I mean!

12. Likes Taylor, walkthetaco, ratagonia liked this post
    Marble Canyon sounds pretty cool, but it sounds like it may not be enough for a 3-4 day trip. I have heard really good things about Grand Gulch as far as the ruins go, but is the canyon very pretty? Also, I forgot to mention one thing in my original post. It is very likely I will be hiking alone, so a shuttle hike is most likely not going to be an option. Unless anyone wants to join?

I have heard really good things about Grand Gulch as far as the ruins go, but is the canyon very pretty?
    The canyon is pretty, but not in the same league as places like the Escalante Canyons scenery wise. The scenery is still good and the ruins better. Although I've done Grand Gulch in May and it wasn't bad by any means and was pleasant, I still prefer canyons with running water that time of year. It's certainly tolerable and nice then. It's probably best to do a shuttle route, though for a trip down Grand and out Bullet, it's usually easy to catch a ride.

Anyway, I do have a webpage for Grand Gulch and Bullet Canyon if you are interested.

http://www.summitpost.org/grand-gulch/213591

http://www.summitpost.org/bullet-canyon/213887

That's the beauty of it Scott! Hike in, set up camp, take a nice dip in the 50 deg. water, head on downriver to Vasey.......
    Yeah, something like that would work for a short trip. I'm used to doing the longer hikes for backpacks, i.e. down Bridge of Sighs and out Vaseys. Longer hikes in Marble Canyon tend to be hot since you are traversing benches far from water for much of the time. The technical canyons are good though, especially for short trips. South Canyon could be OK for May, even though it averages near 90 in the day.

Thanks for the info Scott. I might still do grand gulch at some point, but, like you, I think I want to hike something with more abundant water for May. Got any suggestions for the Escalante area that I haven't already done?

Same ones mentioned above:

One great loop is the Choprock/Silver Falls Loop. Egypt/25 Mile Wash is another. You can visit places like Neon Canyon and Ringtail along the way.

I looked in one of my hiking books and saw this loop for that area. Would this be my best route to take to see that area? Would it be worthwhile to take a side trip up to Choprock? From what I've read, Choprock sounds really technical. But maybe that's a different part of that canyon?

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1394185518764.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  32.7 KB

Would this be my best route to take to see that area?

It would be a very good route and very scenic.

Would it be worthwhile to take a side trip up to Choprock?
    Yes, if you have time. Neon and Ringtail are more on the way, so if you are short on time, hit those first, but if you have a day to spare to explore Choprock, that would be nice too.

From what I've read, Choprock sounds really technical. But maybe that's a different part of that canyon?

It's the South Fork of Choprock that is the technical fork often spoken of. The Main Fork is a walk through. You can still walk to the bottom of the drop in South Fork too, which is pretty.

I'm not seeing neon or ringtail on the map anywhere. Maybe I just need to do some better googling. :)

Quote Originally Posted by ahansen60 View Post
    I'm not seeing neon or ringtail on the map anywhere.
    Those are names the canyoneers gave the slots. You will not find those names on any USGS map.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3