Thread: Toroweap in early April

Toroweap in early April

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are thinking of going to Toroweap during the first week of April. We are hoping to rent a 4wd vehicle either from Kanab but not sure where to find one. Any ideas?

Any ideas on the weather at night? We will be in Las Vegas the week prior for a conference and wont have lots of outdoor gear to camp but might try car camping if we can rent a large enough vehicle to sleep in.

Any advise, insight is greatly appreciated,

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

please elaborate

you are going to TuWeep (Toroweap) hoping to do what, exactly?

P.S. Please read the story of John Riffey, the last true jack-of-all trades ranger at TuWeep before you go.

http://si.com/vault/article/magazine...9713/index.htm

I also suggest that you take a bag of fresh fruit and veg (or at least fruit) for the Ranger and his assistant - if they are not home you can leave it inside the screened porch (where critters cannot get at it) and also leave anote in the other door - just keep an eye open for rattlers!

I had the great pleasure of spending time with the Rangers while waiting for the tow truck for my Jeep.

4. Likes walkthetaco liked this post
    Express Rental in Kanab rents at least one Jeep Cherokee for dirt road use. We rented from them after our Jeep broke down.

http://www.xpressrentalcarofkanab.co...ntal-rates.cfm

Another good trip is to drive to trailhead for Shamman's Gallery, in the same area - sort of - and camp, do a day hike to the gallery, camp again, drive out next day. 2 nites at same camp is nice.

Now to be fair - there are a millions of roads in the route to the trailhead, you only need ONE of them - it begins at a water tank that is NOT a tank -its a pond. We took several detours on our way in to the trailhead.

Our weather was great in May 27, and a tad warm, 1st week of April will be cooler.

You do not need a lot of stuff to go car camping, you can improvise a lot of it.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
    please elaborate

you are going to TuWeep (Toroweap) hoping to do what, exactly?

P.S. Please read the story of John Riffey, the last true jack-of-all trades ranger at TuWeep before you go.

http://si.com/vault/article/magazine...9713/index.htm

I also suggest that you take a bag of fresh fruit and veg (or at least fruit) for the Ranger and his assistant - if they are not home you can leave it inside the screened porch (where critters cannot get at it) and also leave anote in the other door - just keep an eye open for rattlers!

I had the great pleasure of spending time with the Rangers while waiting for the tow truck for my Jeep.
    Todd Seliga is the "Ranger" at Tuweap. He is probably the most informed person on the planet in regards to hiking or backpacking GC. If you don't see him around, then he's probably out on patrol somewhere on the NR or down in the canyon itself! Todd is very nice and loves fruit!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
    Another good trip is to drive to trailhead for Shamman's Gallery, in the same area - sort of - and camp, do a day hike to the gallery, camp again, drive out next day. 2 nites at same camp is nice.

Now to be fair - there are a millions of roads in the route to the trailhead, you only need ONE of them - it begins at a water tank that is NOT a tank -its a pond. We took several detours on our way in to the trailhead.
    The turnoff (east) from the Tuweap road is at around mile 32 from Hwy 389 at "June Tank".

Thanks guys - I called the car rental place in Kanab and reserved a vehicle. They said these vehicles are specifically for going off road and he was fine with us using it to go to Toroweap.

I hope the weather is ok and the roads are passable. We have been out to the Coyote Buttes area many times - both north and south and know that Houserock Valley Road (and other roads) can be impassable after a rain.

We will mostly be doing photography and some hiking in the Toroweap area. Shammans Gallery looks interesting.

We are also looking for new things to do in the Kanab/Page area.

We have done Horseshoe Bend, Waterholes (many times), Antelope upper and lower many times, Wirepass/Buckskin/Wave/ Coyote Buttes South and White Pocket ( would love to go back). We have visited Zion and Bryce but want to stay away from the crowds and tourists.

A few other things if you are interested:
    Fort Pierce Heritage Site http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/st__g...rt_pearce.html
    Indian Canyon Pictograph site just W of Kanab http://www.zionnational-park.com/moquith-mountain.htm and http://adventr.co/2011/10/south-fork...n-pictographs/
    Mt. Trumbull Trail - http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/rec.../backpack.html which is the highpoint of the Uinkaret mtns.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    Todd Seliga is the "Ranger" at Tuweap. He is probably the most informed person on the planet in regards to hiking or backpacking GC. If you don't see him around, then he's probably out on patrol somewhere on the NR or down in the canyon itself! Todd is very nice and loves fruit!
    Todd "saved my bacon" with his satellite phone when our Jeep broke down and we had no cell reception. This was in spring. So when we came back in fall, we made a special side trip with veges and fruit.

Good to know about bringing gifts to the ranger - I will make sure to do that! I will be sure to let him know it is from me and the Bogley community :)

My husband seems to think the ranger would rather have beer......

Quote Originally Posted by Bobuddy View Post
    My husband seems to think the ranger would rather have beer......
    Your husband needs to know Todd! He lives on "birdseed and dried fruit"!!!!!! A few years ago I met Todd for the first time after I hiked down to Lava Falls to take some beer, veggies and chocolates to a river trip that was running short of supplies on a 30 day Grand Canyoneering Trip. Todd had spent a week or so with the trip and needed to hike out to his home (ranger station at tuweap) so he could get back to his duties. He had a HUGE Backpack and 2- full of gear 5 gallon buckets (one in each hand). I offered to carry the buckets as I was now empty of my pack. He just grinned and declined the offer. He still arrived at Vulcans Throne ahead of everyone else hiking out that day (Ram, Tom, Guy). He's a little hamster on a wheel! He's hiked from Lees Ferry to L:ake Mead twice (unsupported). I think the first time took him like 31 days. The last time I think it was something like 21 days? Beer would just throw a hitch into his lifestyle I think? Not too sure though? Like I said before though he's about the nicest guy you'll ever meet. Always a huge smile from ear to ear and I know he'd appreciate any gesture!