Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zion Canyoneering Rendezvous, Sept. 17-21

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

If you show up with a specific hit list of canyons, especially if they are Heaps and Imlay you will probably leave disillusioned.
    The ZR is a social event. While there may be people who leave the social event to go to a LONG canyon, a full-day canyon, this would be the exception.

Some people may do this, almost exclusively by prior arrangement with their friends. Or perhaps the day after or day before the ZR. Not sure why one would pay money for an event, and then take a day off from the event. Adding an unknown to an Imlay or Heaps trip is not such a good idea - has certainly gotten me very close to trouble in the past.

Yes, you might want to reserve a permit or two if you plan to attend. But also, there will be the opportunity to do obscure canyons, that don't require a reservation (but some of which require a permit).

Tom

2. Likes Spidey liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by gigamosh57 View Post
    On the other side of this, what kinds of workshops are usually offered at the ZR?
    What workshops would you like to see?

Tom

5. Likes Spidey liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    What workshops would you like to see?

Tom
    Good question. I don't know what I don't know, so it would be good to see what kinds of stuff people want to teach. Here's a couple:

• Efficient obstacle sequencing with large groups (2 leaders and lots of beginners, what is the fastest way to get past a big obstacle/pothole)
    • Rescue techniques
    • Gear demos (clothing and technical)

Not sure why one would pay money for an event, and then take a day off from the event.

Maybe I am missing something, but I thought one of the main points of the ZR was to meet new people and descend canyons with them? This doesn't seem like taking a day off to me (unless you are talking about doing a 2-day canyon).

Quote Originally Posted by gigamosh57 View Post
    Maybe I am missing something, but I thought one of the main points of the ZR was to meet new people and descend canyons with them? This doesn't seem like taking a day off to me (unless you are talking about doing a 2-day canyon).
    I think if you opt to do a long canyon, ala any of the big, longer days, then you'll most likely miss any and maybe all events at the Rendezvous. Just a risk, is all.

For example, if you manage to get a permit for Imlay, and, do the short cut...you take 10 or 12 hours to complete the route, toss in a couple of hours for getting there and back from the Pondy, then, even with a fairly early start, you'll miss most anything at the Rendezvous. Mystery? If you're reasonably bit and efficient, maybe a shorter day, etc.

Having attended maybe the first canyon Rondy in the US (Globe AZ?) and the first in Zion(s)...its interesting to watch this activity. Rendezvous are fun. And, they're always on my radar.

Comparing the international rendezvous to the US ones is also interesting. The international gigs are a blast.

If you're not familiar with Zion, and/or a newer canyon person, this seems like a great deal.

If you are familiar with Zion, and done canyons for awhile, only around for Friday/Saturday nights, I'm wondering if some of the events, ala the evening presentations, will be available to walk ins? Might be fun to mingle.

Just putting it out there.
    I have been denied a planned Checkerboard 3 times because of rain and will probably try to put one together for one of the days during the event

9. Likes Brian in SLC liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    Just putting it out there.
    I have been denied a planned Checkerboard 3 times because of rain and will probably try to put one together for one of the days during the event
    That would be a "longer day" event. You could avoid the car spot issue by finishing UP Orderville and walking over to the Ponderosa!

Tom

That would be a "longer day" event. You could avoid the car spot issue by finishing UP Orderville and walking over to the Ponderosa!

Tom
    Longer for sure, but prob a good Thursday canyon to do. I may just camp over on the East side somewhere for the whole event so it may not be too big of a deal. Maybe even just go up the Narrows since that was your recommendation . We will figure it out once the group gets put together. There is never a shortage of people wanting to do stuff. Checkerboard is on a lot of people's to do list including mine and this seems like a good time for it.

I am pleased to announce Sterling as our newest sponsor for the Rendezvous. So if you have ever wanted to try the C IV or another canyon rope from Sterling the Rendezvous is your chance. So get over to the website and get signed up. More exciting things to come.

Spidey

13. Likes Scott Card liked this post

Hi everyone this is Steven. Early registration ends on Aug 1st, which is also when your chance at the Go Pro hero 3 ends. We are going to have workshops, guided canyons, outdoor movies, dinner each night, Pool party, drawings, etc. You don't want to miss this event so hurry and register at the website, just follow the link.
    We look forward to seeing all of you, and making this year incredible!!
    I have confirmations from several attendees of permits for many of the favorite in the park canyons. I will update you with which ones ASAP.

Link,http://www.zioncanyonrendezvous.com/

I am very pleased to announce Rich Rudow will be attending the Rendezvous, and giving a presentation/ Q & A with a showing of Last of the great unknown. We look forward to seeing all of you at the Rendezvous.

I would like to donate these 2 cart golf bags for the raffle. A ladies bag that is a very nice looking pink, and the men's is red and black. I am coming to Zion this Thursday and staying until atleast Sat Aug 2nd. I would like to drop these off to someone in the area. I am unsure yet if we can make the event. So if someone could help me out with the pickup it would be very much appreciated.

Mark.

Name:  photo (2).jpg
Views: 483
Size:  95.6 KB

18. Likes jman liked this post
    I have confirmations from several attendees with permits to most of the canyons in the Park for Thurs. Fri. and Sat. We will also be helping to organize, and guide outside the park canyons.

There are only 4 days left for early registration, and your shot at the Go Pro.

We look forward to seeing everyone down there.

Spidey

Hello Spidey,

I'm interested in attending this event, but It'll be a month before I could/could not commit. How many people can you accommodate? In other words...is it likely to "fill up"?
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Hello Spidey,

I'm interested in attending this event, but It'll be a month before I could/could not commit. How many people can you accommodate? In other words...is it likely to "fill up"?
    Shouldn't be a problem. Other than depending on how late in the game you decide, I might not be able to guarantee you a swag bag.

Quote Originally Posted by iflycr500 View Post
    I would like to donate these 2 cart golf bags for the raffle. A ladies bag that is a very nice looking pink, and the men's is red and black. I am coming to Zion this Thursday and staying until atleast Sat Aug 2nd. I would like to drop these off to someone in the area. I am unsure yet if we can make the event. So if someone could help me out with the pickup it would be very much appreciated.

Mark.
    Mark ran into difficulty coordinating getting these donated. He ended up handing them off to me as I'm local to St George. I camp up around Mammoth Creek occasionally, I'll be there the weekend of Aug 23rd. I'm happy to help get these in the right hands, send me a message and hopefully something gets worked out. :)

I am still trying to get these golf bags picked up from St George. Can anyone help out with getting these to the event and to the right people?

Mark.

I am still trying to get these golf bags picked up from St George. Can anyone help out with getting these to the event and to the right people?

Mark.
    Trying to give golf bags away to canyoneers...that's funny. Apparently difficult too. How much rope will one of those things hold?
    "I approach nature with a certain surly ill-will, daring Her to make trouble"

-Edward Abbey

25. Likes Taylor, deagol, ratagonia, MrAdam liked this post

Mark.
    I sent a private message, feel free to call me.

Is anyone driving from Vegas to the Zion Ponderosa Ranch around 4 PM on Wednesday? I'm flying in and will need a ride one-way...