Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zion Canyoneering Rendezvous, Sept. 17-21

Zion Canyoneering Rendezvous, Sept. 17-21

First off I want to give a huge shout out to Bogley for coming on board very early as a sponsor for this years Rendezvous. Shane for being willing to listen and support it, and Scott for helping get everything rolling as well as supporting it.

Some may know and some may not. Clark and I have taken over the Zion Rendezvous going forward into the future. We do however have huge plans for it most of which are already being implemented.

Our primary goal is first to see it continue, but as an event inclusive to the entire canyoneering community. We are working tirelessly to turn this into something that everyone from every forum, background, creed, bolt philosophy, etc will want to support. Going into the future, this will be the event to attend! Make sure you're there as part of this, the Phoenix year.

If you give us/it a chance you won't be disappointed. If you are when it's over, who doesn't love a good I told you so!

Anyway there are too many details to cover in this post so please follow the link to the Rendezvous website. http://www.zioncanyonrendezvous.com

I don't work at a computer, but I will do my very best to be on here daily to answer questions, P.Ms. and such.
    We'll see you in the canyons, and definitely Sept. 17-21

Spidey

2. Likes deagol, jman, ratagonia liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

http://www.zioncanyonrendezvous.com

That is the most exciting website I have ever visited. If Spidey can pull off half what is promised then the Zion Rendezvous is going to be worth the time and money.

5. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by craigskiles View Post
    http://www.zioncanyonrendezvous.com

That is the most exciting website I have ever visited. If Spidey can pull off half what is promised then the Zion Rendezvous is going to be worth the time and money.

I appreciate the compliment, and I am painfully aware of the responsibility. It will drive me/us to make this amazing, and I promise the weight won't be lifted until it's over.

Thankfully we have some great sponsors like Bogley,and Imlay canyon gear lining up to help. We couldn't do it without them. There are still more to come and more activities to come, stay tuned.

7. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    We are happy to report, that late last week Zion Adventure Company came on board as a sponsor. We are working on some exciting things with them. Great things are continuing to fall into place. See you in September.

Spidey

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those who sign up before the 15th of August will be placed into a drawing for a GoPro Hero 3. The winner will receive it when they check into the event. Someone is going to have a lot of fun during the Rendezvous

Name:  GoProArt.png
Views: 981
Size:  37.5 KB

Clark

Maybe I missed it on the website, still using Ponderosa as base camp?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Maybe I missed it on the website, still using Ponderosa as base camp?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Yes, for this year the Ponderosa is still the base camp. There should be info for it on the website.

My friend and I are seriously considering coming to the 2014 ZR but I am trying to understand the culture a bit.

We started canyoneering just over a year ago and we have each done (10) 3-A/B-III canyons. We are getting our pothole escape skills in order and are going to descend Quandary Direct this summer as a test-piece.

It seems like tagging along with a group to descend a canyon during the ZR is a bit of a free-for-all (unless you come with your own group and a plan).

Are groups that descend the big boys (Heaps/Imlay) generally open to intermediate folks like us tagging along?

What advice would you give someone who wants to come and get a chance to do Heaps?

Quote Originally Posted by gigamosh57 View Post
    My friend and I are seriously considering coming to the 2014 ZR but I am trying to understand the culture a bit.

We started canyoneering just over a year ago and we have each done (10) 3-A/B-III canyons. We are getting our pothole escape skills in order and are going to descend Quandary Direct this summer as a test-piece.

It seems like tagging along with a group to descend a canyon during the ZR is a bit of a free-for-all (unless you come with your own group and a plan).

Are groups that descend the big boys (Heaps/Imlay) generally open to intermediate folks like us tagging along?

What advice would you give someone who wants to come and get a chance to do Heaps?
    The Zion rendezvous, like others is an opportunity to meet and descend canyons with new, fun, perhaps less, perhaps more experienced people. The opportunity to do canyons with others isn't a problem, even just showing up at the Rendezvous with little to no agenda. The question of tagging along on a Heaps, or Imlay trip becomes much more of a sticky wicket. Finding someone or a group of someones that are ok going into Heaps or Imlay with someone they haven't done any canyons with previously is far from a sure thing.

So while I can promise you a ton of fun, and canyons to get into, and groups to meet, mingle, and do canyons with. I can't promise you a shot at Heaps and/or Imlay. Doesn't mean it won't happen but... The Rendezvous will be well worth the time and $ without Heaps or Imlay, although they would be pretty good icing on an already incredible cake.

I hope this helps.

Spidey

Since you asked for advice I can give you a bunch.... Understand I have attended and/or host at least a dozen of these things, but I have no official standing in this particular one.

If you attend with the idea of having a great time, meeting a bunch of interesting people, doing some fun canyons, learning some new skills and networking with potential future partners you will not be disappointed.

If you show up with a specific hit list of canyons, especially if they are Heaps and Imlay you will probably leave disillusioned. It has been my experience that rendezvous are not the place to try and find someone to unofficially guide you through a canyon beyond your skill level. Rendezvous are where you develop the skills and meet potential partners with whom you can plan a future assault on bigger and better canyons.

Your mileage may vary

16. Likes Brian in SLC, pikan liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Since you asked for advice I can give you a bunch.... Understand I have attended and/or host at least a dozen of these things, but I have no official standing in this particular one.

If you attend with the idea of having a great time, meeting a bunch of interesting people, doing some fun canyons, learning some new skills and networking with potential future partners you will not be disappointed.

If you show up with a specific hit list of canyons, especially if they are Heaps and Imlay you will probably leave disillusioned. It has been my experience that rendezvous are not the place to try and find someone to unofficially guide you through a canyon beyond your skill level. Rendezvous are where you develop the skills and meet potential partners with whom you can plan a future assault on bigger and better canyons.

Your mileage may vary
    Thanks Shane, great advice. We still hope to have you there as an official part of it if your schedule works.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

Your mileage may vary
    Thanks for the replies; this is good perspective. I am definitely not looking to force myself on a group and piss people off just to tick a canyon. My friend and I are trying to build our skills and experience to where we are an asset to a group of similarly skilled people doing something as daunting as Heaps.

On the other side of this, what kinds of workshops are usually offered at the ZR?

Thanks for the replies; this is good perspective. I am definitely not looking to force myself on a group and piss people off just to tick a canyon. My friend and I are trying to build our skills and experience to where we are an asset to a group of similarly skilled people doing something as daunting as Heaps.

On the other side of this, what kinds of workshops are usually offered at the ZR?
    We are going to have workshops ranging from an introduction to canyoneering, up to canyon rescue. Some will be taught by Clark and I at DarkHorse, some will be taught by others. Specific workshop itinerary will be posted closer to the Rendezvous. There will be plenty to do if you can't get in a canyon, and plenty to learn.

Hope this helps.

Spidey

We are excited to report The North Face just came on board as a sponsor. We are working with several others still, and will give an update each time we add one. This is going to be the best Rendezvous ever. See you in September.

Spidey

Congrats! Looks like a great event.

Felicia
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

I'm guessing that if we would like to do any canyons in Zion's park, we won't just be able to tag along with another group unless they've got an extra spot on their permit? Or we'll need to apply for our own permits, right?

Quote Originally Posted by chadsaun View Post
    I'm guessing that if we would like to do any canyons in Zion's park, we won't just be able to tag along with another group unless they've got an extra spot on their permit? Or we'll need to apply for our own permits, right?
    I would assume so. Or do any of the numerous canyons on the East side that are not in the park and don't need permits or group size limitations

Have you ever wanted to try a piece of Canyoneering equipment before you buy it? Well the Rendezvous is your chance, we are going to have lot's of demo gear there for people to try out.

Specifically for today I will tell you we are going to have a Demo fleet, of the Adidas Hydro Pro. We would like to thank Adidas for sponsoring this event.

We'll see you in September. Come try a pair of these amazing shoes.

Spidey

25. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
    Specifically for today I will tell you we are going to have a Demo fleet, of the Adidas Hydro Pro. We would like to thank Adidas for sponsoring this event.

Spidey
    Isn't Adidas going to discontinue this they Hydro Pro? Have they all ready discontinued it?

Mac