Thread: CAC Roost Service Project, April 5

CAC Roost Service Project, April 5

On Saturday April 5th the Coalition of American Canyoneers (CAC) will be supporting the Henry Mountains Field Station BLM office on a service project in the Bluejohn Canyon and Granary Springs area of Robbers Roost. Due to high canyoneering traffic, the Roost has required a number of Wayne County SAR rescues in the past several years. It

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Granary Springs could use a cleanup, but what is planned for "cairn and trail ID work"? Other than cow paths, there are no trails there to ID. I really hope you don't mean cairned routes in and out of the forks.

Or do you just mean a sign at Granary Spring or something?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

My wife and I would love to come down and help out. Only issue is that my jeep is not trustworthy at this point to not strand us somewhere. Our new jeep is on order, but I am not sure we will have it by then. That being said, anyone from Salt Lake heading down Friday night and coming back Sunday that wouldn't mind some company for the drive? We will help pay for gas, and I always travel with plenty of beer.
    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

5. Likes outsider liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Granary Springs could use a cleanup, but what is planned for "cairn and trail ID work"? Other than cow paths, there are no trails there to ID. I really hope you don't mean cairned routes in and out of the forks.

Or do you just mean a sign at Granary Spring or something?
    Scott, my response is light on details as the BLM is doing most of the planning and we're providing the hands. My understanding is that the Bluejohn complex may be the most heavily visited area of the Roost. Canyoneer confusion between the east fork and squeeze fork has led to at least one rescue and so part of the idea behind this project is to lessen the odds of such events. I believe this effort may include cairns or minimal signage if they are deemed helpful, and cleaning up multiple pathing, with a side-benefit that hiker impact can be reduced (although as you mention, all the cows in the area may limit the usefulness on that front).

Thanks. I was just wondering. I would show up, but I'll be out of the country then.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

8. Likes outsider liked this post
    Bump. Just a few more details. We'll be meeting up to work on the service project at 9am Saturday morning (April 5). The BLM organizer is estimating 4-6 hrs for the planned work and discussion. Some of the folks associated with the CAC will be basing out of Granary Springs starting Thursday night or Friday morning, with plans to visit some nearby canyons Friday & Sunday. Still room to get involved if interested - see the CAC Facebook event page https://www.facebook.com/events/624316580974954/, or the CAC website http://www.americancanyoneers.org/robbers-roost/.
    Thanks, -john

Final details at

http://www.americancanyoneers.org/robbers-roost/
    or
    https://www.facebook.com/events/624316580974954/

Note that we will have the chance to discuss canyoneering with BLM personnel, not just in regards to the Roost but all areas managed by this BLM office, including North Wash.

-john

What?!? no trip report?

How did this event turn out?

I think the TR will be forthcoming next week.
    Life is Good

CAC Volunteers Help BLM in Robbers Roost

On Saturday, April 5th, 14 volunteers from the Coalition of American Canyoneers assisted the BLM in a service project in Robbers Roost. The CAC had approached the Hanksville office about working together on a service project and the BLM suggested the objectives of cleaning up the Granary Springs camping area as well as addressing a safety concern shared by the BLM and Wayne County Search and Rescue. The volunteers also had the opportunity to provide early input for the Special Recreation Management Area management plan which is being developed by the BLM for the Dirty Devil and Robbers Roost region.

Special thanks to BLM staff members Myron Jeffs and Phil Engleman, and to all the CAC volunteers who assisted.

More details at http://www.americancanyoneers.org/robbers-roost-report/

The Motel 6 is history.