Thread: My son's first grade homework

My son's first grade homework

These homework assignments have the worst instructions. Every one of them are like this and every parent is confused. Even the teacher has apologized for the format they're written in.

Does anybody have any idea what the hell the method is on this sheet? I'm still looking to find a correlation with the number 10.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1393288459322.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  29.7 KB

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yes, I know what they are talking about, but I'm skeptical that it really helps on simple problems like the ones in the examples.

This should explain it better:

http://forms.hmhco.com/gregtang/pdf/gt_makea10_blm.pdf

It does come in handy for complicated arithmetic, but doesn't have as much advantage for simple arithmetic. It does show kids patterns, so maybe that's what they're trying to teach them.

If you know how to use number patterns, you can do math very quickly (especially algebra and arithmetic), though in modern days number pattern math has become somewhat obsolete (due to calculators and computers). Still, I'm surprised they teach it in first grade, though it does teach kids to look for patters and how numbers and bases work.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I've taken numerous advanced mathematics courses, and I admit I am stumped.

"No Child Left Behind"
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I've taken numerous advanced mathematics courses, and I admit I am stumped.
    The concept (and it's an old one dating back centuries) is that numbers ending in zero are faster to add or subtract than those numbers that end in another digit.

For example:

622 plus 329 can be converted to 621 plus 330 and the latter should be quicker to solve. It's harder to see with simple problems in the examples because we automatically know what 14 minus 9 is. Teaching kids that 14 minus 9 is the same as 15 minus 10 shows them patters to solve more complicated arithmetic, even though it's harder to see in simpler problems.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Name:  assignment-answer-win.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  20.9 KB

My son's first grade homework

engineering father apparently has trouble thinking outside the box. perhaps he's too complacent in his job. (it's really not hard at all to figure this one out. certainly should be easy for an engineer especially an electrical engineer!)

also i would think any engineer would see the value in needing to figure out someone else's work/method (even if it wasn't the method they'd choose) and determine if an error was made.

Just have him circle all the problems with an 8 or 9 in it and you'll be good since the strategy is "to build up from 8 or 9".