Thread: Hiking Boots or Shoes?

Hiking Boots or Shoes?

Do you prefer hiking boots or hiking shoes? I tend to find the shoes more comfortable. No matter how often I wore the boots, they just gave me blisters.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I do a great deal of bush wacking and straight up mountain "hiking" without any trails. I prefer boots. Why?

-They keep the crap out of my socks/feet
    -They are thick enough to absorb a snake bite
    -They better support my ankles
    -I use steel-toe to ensure that if something heavy falls onto my feet, I wont crush my toes

*I hope I didn't just reply to a SPAM-Bot!
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

4. Likes jman liked this post
    I also prefer hiking boots although I used to just use straight up shoes for the hikes I went to. The reason is that I get ankle support with the boots, that the shoes just don't offer and when you go and do some mountain hiking like BruteForce said, you really need it or you'll have your ankles not only in pain by the end of the day, but if you're planning on doing a hike on the next day as well, you just won't be able to. There are plenty of great quality hiking boots that won't give you blisters and I personally found my hiking boots here. I chose the first Hi-Tec model on the list as most of the hiking I do is done on mountains where the weather suggests a rugged boot that keeps your feet warm and cuz it's also waterproof. It's a pretty decent shoe that really won't get your feet blisters or at least it didn't give me such.

Anyway it all really depends on the type of socks that you'll be wearing too, so take that into consideration as well.

I'm also curious what's the best for desert hiking? Something not too hot but grippy soles?

Well there are actually a couple of Merrell shoes that I found on the link above called the Moab ventilator or something like that. They seem like quite good for desert hiking and I believe that they are pretty decent for a walk in the desert.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipgallagher View Post
    Well there are actually a couple of Merrell shoes that I found on the link above called the Moab ventilator or something like that.
    The Moab Mid Ventilator is really a great shoe for hiking trails and mild off trail hikes. I like that it is light weight, comfortable and so far has been very durable. The footbed is nice and firm so you hardly feel any rocks you step on.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Prod...Mid-Ventilator

When I need a more serious off trail hiking boot, my favorite is the Keen Oregon. Pretty tough and extremely comfortable. Unfortunately, they have discontinued it. Not sure what other boot has replaced it, but I'd be surprised if it even comes close to the Oregon.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I tend to go for anything that's recommended by the troops that have served in Iraq/Afghanistan, then I source via rangerjoes.com. Danner, 5.11 Tactical, etc..
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce