Thread: Moab ATV Trip - July 2013

Moab ATV Trip - July 2013

I just realized that I forgot to post a trip report here from my ATV trip to Moab this past summer. Maybe by doing this now I can alleviate the Ohio winter blues a little bit.

Arrived in Moab and got in a quick ride to Hurrah Pass.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The next day we hit up Moab Rim. It was interesting getting my buddy's Yamaha Raptor up the tough stuff.

Cooling off in an alcove

The next day we hit up Hidden Canyon, the Pickle, and Tushar Tunnel. I do not have any pictures of that, but I did get some Go Pro of the hard obstacles on the Pickle.

Next up is La Sal Pass. This was a nice refreshing ride to beat the upper 90's heat in the valley. However, you had to wear about 5 pounds of bug spray, as the mosquitoes were very bad.

The next day we hit up the South Fork of Sevenmile Canyon. This is a sandy was that you can ride for roughly 2 miles, so it was not very fulfilling ATV ride, however the canyon is abundant with Native American rock art. See my other trip report for more on that.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...pdated-7-22%29

The next day my buddy Jason and I went out and rode Behind the Rocks and Pritchett Canyon in reverse. What a fun day. Extremely hard stuff.

Winching it down backwards off of White Knuckle Hill.

Leaving White Knuckle

Top of Pritchett

What a beautiful area

Winching down the obstacle called Yellow Hill

Down the Canyon

Looking back at the Axle Hill obstacle

Arch!

Fins and Things

On to Hell's Revenge

Jason coming up the steep part.

At the overlook

Hell's Gate was fun!

Looks like a smokin' hot time!

Did you have any jetting issues with your machines coming from near sea level?

Beautiful pics, I really liked the one's from the La Sals. Thanks for posting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    Looks like a smokin' hot time!

Did you have any jetting issues with your machines coming from near sea level?

Beautiful pics, I really liked the one's from the La Sals. Thanks for posting them.
    The only carbed big bore ATV was the green Brute Force (mine) and I did not do anything other than take my airbox lid off. That made me run pretty darn good considering the altitude and the temperature.

Usually when I come out to Colorado I will drop the main jets down one jet size on each carb, and adjust my needle jets down slightly. I have found with Moab that the airbox lid adjustment is all I need.

I did start to run pretty rich when we did the La Sal Pass ride which was near 10,000 feet.

The Raptor and the red Polaris are both fuel injected. They ran a little rough with the heat though. The Raptor would backfire a bit, and the Polaris had some difficulty idling.

The heat did not get to us very much until the Behind the Rocks/Pritchett ride. It was absolutely stupid hot that day. We had the pool at Moab Valley RV park and an air conditioned cabin that helped a bunch. We also spent lots of time swimming in Mill Creek which was a blast!

Thanks!

Zack

10. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post