Thread: Vinegaroon - Death Valley

Vinegaroon - Death Valley

Vinegaroon - Death Valley
    Vinegaroons, the locals call them scorpion wannabes. They look like scorpions but do not have the stinger and when bothered spray acetic acid venting a vinegar smell. They have a whip like tail.

The canyon Vinegaroon sits pretty much parallel to Scorpion Canyon. From a technical standpoint Vinegaron doesn’t quite have the moves of Scorpion canyon. Scorpion has more technical stuff with bigger and more rappels. Vinegaroon still has some nice technical stuff including 5 rappels, an amazingly scenic 85 foot free hang and some great down climbs.

Where Vinegaroon really shines is with the amazing scenery. Scorpion and Vinegaroon both have the same entrance but once up high on the ridge heading down into Vinegaroon the views out over Scorpion, Death Valley, Furnace Creek, Gower Gulch and Zabriskie Point are out of this world. The route starts from the Twenty Mule Team road on the Furnace creek East side, intersects the Black Mountains and pops out on the Death Valley, Bad Water West side.

Death Valley Canyoneering for the most part is a little extreme – some tough logistics, long days and much technical stuff. It is nice to have canyons like Vinegaroon and Scorpion to run through on off or rest days in between the more epic ones. Vinegaroon requires a shuttle but it is short and convenient

We all felt that it was the perfect time to be in Vinegaroon. It was overcast with temps in the mid 70’s and a slight breeze.

Thanks to Bluugnome for the Beta writeup.

Thanks to my canyoneering partners, sons Justin and Lorin, who joined me in this canyon and made it a really fun day and took soem great pictures.

More pictures can be found at
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1149702...Valley02152014
    Attached Images Attached Images                                                       
    Don't believe everything you think.

-Borrowed from a bumper sticker I believe

2. Likes Slot Machine, Lfrench1985 liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

french,
    Thanks for posting. I love seeing trip reports on canyons that I didn't even know existed.

I never knew that Vinegaroons existed either, I'll keep my eye out for em. Are they found in the deserts of Utah as well?

Also,
    ... that's the truth right there, really like that quote.
    -Sam

Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    french,
    Thanks for posting. I love seeing trip reports on canyons that I didn't even know existed.

I never knew that Vinegaroons existed either, I'll keep my eye out for em. Are they found in the deserts of Utah as well?

Also, ... that's the truth right there, really like that quote.
    -Sam
    Thanks for the comments Sam. I don't know if Vinegaroons have ever been spotted in Utah deserts.

-Borrowed from a bumper sticker I believe

Mighty fine Doug, any others join during the weekend? Good to see Justin and Lorin out there!

Did you actually snap that Vinegaroon pic? I don't recall every hearing about them in Utah, perhaps in the desert southwest of St. George?

This was a great trip. Great scenery and great company.

When did we start Canyoneering on the Moon?

9. Likes Lfrench1985, Slot Machine liked this post
    Nice report Doug!