Thread: Rock Canyon. 2/16/14

Rock Canyon. 2/16/14

Saturday we drove the Barracks Trail from Cane Beds to Mt Carmel. We then looped back around through Coral Pink Sand Dunes and drove down into the Elephant Butte area and camped that night. Sunday morning, early risers at 9am we headed down to Rock Canyon. The first potholes were filled with water so I stripped down and went through as to not spend the day with wet clothes and feet. We set up a zip line and sent all the packs, my wife, and my 2 kids safely across. Then the long down climb, the funnest part of the canyon in my opinion. Rap 2 has a pool of water at the bottom, but with a big jump about 6' off the ground you can barely clear it and not get too wet. Rap 3 has 2 new bolts at the anchor since last time. They are up higher and much more accessible than the previous. It also has an ice pool at the bottom but you can swing way right and miss it. Rap 4 was dry. After rap 4, we headed down canyon about 5-10 minutes and took the first cliffband weakness we could and climbed up and out of the canyon. Total trip was just under 4 hours car to car and we in no way hurried. There was plenty of snow, water and ice in the canyon, but it was an awesome trip overall doing the Barracks Trail, camping and getting a canyon in .

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Looks like a good time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Excellent job helping us all fight off the February induced cabin fever!

Nice report Kody!

The hike through The Barracks is one of the best things about the Rock Canyon route. Bailing after the rappels and skipping The Barracks is like getting married and skipping the honeymoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The hike through The Barracks is one of the best things about the Rock Canyon route. Bailing after the rappels and skipping The Barracks is like getting married and skipping the honeymoon.
    Really.

We drove the upper Barracks trail the day before to check it out and it was about 25% covered in ice sheets. Maybe you are correct for a summer route, but a 2 hour hike down the ice river didn't really seem that appealing. Maybe I'm just not as tough as you are though. If you want to come down this weekend I will go through it all with you so I don't miss any of the Barracks that I have seen before and plan on seeing again later this year on a different trip

7. Likes ratagonia liked this post