Thread: First Descents- A history of canyoneering

First Descents- A history of canyoneering

As part of the Snowbird and Utah Adventure Journal speaker series, Dennis Turville will be giving a program about the history of US canyoneering, in which he played a central role. Don't miss this unique (and free) opportunity- March 20, presented at the Wildflower Lounge at the Iron Blosam Lodge, at Snowbird, starting at 600 pm.

3/20 dennis turville
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Calibri]First Descents

2. Likes Slot Machine, Taylor liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sounds cool. Any chance someone could videotape it and upload to youtube for us out of staters?
    canyon to the face??? CANYON TO THE FACE!!!!

Should be very cool. Thanks for posting this Rick T. Looking forward to it.

Bump

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Bump. This is tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik B View Post
    Sounds cool. Any chance someone could videotape it and upload to youtube for us out of staters?
    No chance. I'll be too busy drinking cold brews and shooting the bull with other Bogleyites.

Did anyone go to this? Is Dennis still living in the horse and buggy days and preaching show don't tell? Or has he finally learned of the invention of the interwebs?

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Bump. This is tonight.

No chance. I'll be too busy drinking cold brews and shooting the bull with other Bogleyites.
    ...and you were there....

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Did anyone go to this? Is Dennis still living in the horse and buggy days and preaching show don't tell? Or has he finally learned of the invention of the interwebs?
    I went. He knows all about the internet. His opinion of it and it's effect on the places that he explored are another story, which I'm sure you could guess the nature of.

His position seemed very clear after watching "Gorging".

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    His position seemed very clear after watching "Gorging".
    I never bothered to watch it....

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    I went. He knows all about the internet. His opinion of it and it's effect on the places that he explored are another story, which I'm sure you could guess the nature of.
    Yup.... the major failure of keeping it secret is you don't get to set the ethics, that honor goes to those that share.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Not presuming to speak for Mr Turville but I would say he would prefer none of us ever saw any of the places he "discovered" in Zion and elsewhere. That's just my impression from the film. There are some interesting exchanges between Kelsey and Turville.

First Descents- A history of canyoneering

I think that even if the first person "sets" the ethics, this world certainly has enough sh*t heads to ruin it given enough time. No matter how the dissemination of the information actually occurs, it will reach those who have no respect either way.

Turville's presentation was awesome. He shared some GREAT photos from the 70's and 80's, and a few excellent stories. It was a treat for anyone in attendance. The gigantic chip on his shoulder only added color to his tales.

His position seemed like -don't show AND don't tell. Not really a wink and a handshake kind of guy. It sounds like he really enjoyed having Neon to himself for a couple of decades.

I never bothered to watch it....
    Seriously? You are missing out! Gorging is probably 2nd best canyoneering documentary movie ever made, just behind 127 Hours.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

16. Likes deagol liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rick t View Post
    He’ll present stunning photos, local canyon history and some colorful first descent tales...
    what part of don't show/don't tell did he not understand himself say?

Quote Originally Posted by mzamp View Post
    what part of don't show/don't tell did he not understand himself say?
    If we had a time machine and went back 30 years, he would not have made the same presentation if you held a gun to his head. I got the impression that his small teams shared with nobody.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    I got the impression that his small teams shared with nobody.
    If you believe that you would be wrong. Canyoneering beta at the time, including Turville's group, was shared through one of the local SLC rocking climbing shops. Also if you ever get to look through the Zion Black Book you will find TR's written by some of those guys. It was the best they had but it was basically the internet of his day.

In addition, there was an interesting pissing match at the time between Turville and Trapier over who had the first descent of Heaps.

Is Gorging available somewhere on DVD?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    If you believe that you would be wrong. Canyoneering beta at the time, including Turville's group, was shared through one of the local SLC rocking climbing shops. Also if you ever get to look through the Zion Black Book you will find TR's written by some of those guys. It was the best they had but it was basically the internet of his day.

In addition, there was an interesting pissing match at the time between Turville and Trapier over who had the first descent of Heaps.
    I've been through the Black Book, the whole thing available in 2000, and there was NOTHING, ZIP, NADA from Turville and Bogart.

Trappier was a regular in there, though a TON of his descents were not in there. End of Hidden, Observation Point, Jabob - not in there.

Tom

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Is Gorging available somewhere on DVD?
    The windup, the pitch...

Available in DVD or BluRay from Canyoneering USA

http://www.store.canyoneeringusa.com...=0&sort=normal

Tom