Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slot Canyon Recommedations for Newbies...

Slot Canyon Recommedations for Newbies...

So my husband and I wanted to get out of Colorado this President's Day weekend and hit a slot canyon in Utah. We've done the Irish Canyon and Little Wild Horse/Bell Canyons before. My husband doesn't have much rock climbing experience and I've been out of the rock climbing scene for 6 years now--so we prefer a beginner canyon until we can gain some good climbing experience. We'd ideally like to stay within 7-8 hours of our home (basically SW Denver) and we'd like to bring our dogs (leashed of course). If anyone has any good suggestions, I'd love to hear them. We'd be good with suggestions of canyons that aren't necessarily "slot/skinny" canyons as well. Thanks everyone!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Moonshine Wash and Three Canyon

Thanks qedcook! Those look great!

When you say you are taking your dogs, I assume that you mean completely non technical?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I know of very few dog approved technical canyons... if you leave the dogs home you might find the Moab Canyons fun as most of them are noob/family friendly.

Linky: Stuff to do in Moab

Scott P: We actually did the Irish Canyons with our pooches--which included some small technical portions. It wasn't what I would call a whole lot of fun struggling with them along the technical segments. It's not completely contingent that the dogs go....they've just been cooped up for the winter recently. I suppose to clarify the answer to your question, as minimally technical as possible likely for this trip.

Iceaxe: Thanks for the input! I'll check your recommendations out.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bshelley.Mines View Post
    Scott P: We actually did the Irish Canyons with our pooches--which included some small technical portions. It wasn't what I would call a whole lot of fun struggling with them along the technical segments. It's not completely contingent that the dogs go....they've just been cooped up for the winter recently. I suppose to clarify the answer to your question, as minimally technical as possible likely for this trip.

Iceaxe: Thanks for the input! I'll check your recommendations out.
    Apparently "did the Irish Canyons" can have a variety of meanings.

Tom

What's your point ratagonia? A few short climbs on a climbing rope with our dogs was enough to know that we are not prepared to do it again. I can rephrase for you: "We did segments within the Irish Canyons with our two dogs, which included a handful of small rope climbs."

Thank you to those of you who were kind enough to give me some recommendations! I look forward to spending some time in Southern Utah this weekend and I wish you all safe travels.

What's your point ratagonia? A few short climbs on a climbing rope with our dogs was enough to know that we are not prepared to do it again. I can rephrase for you: "We did segments within the Irish Canyons with our two dogs, which included a handful of small rope climbs."
    I think his point is that when people say they've done the Irish Canyons, it usually means a list of around 8 canyons, some of which there is no way a dog (any dog) can get through. I think we were all confused (myself included) as to what you meant by "we actually did the Irish Canyons". Did you mean one or two of the canyons or doing them all from the bottom? It would be easier to understand if you were more specific as to which canyons. The latter post did clear it up somewhat (I think). I take it that you did some of them either from the bottom or only sections of one or two of them?

That said, I'd second the recommendation for Moonshine Wash. I don't think I'd suggest Three though since there are some big rappels in the forks and the exits would be tough on dogs. The only exit that might be reasonable for a dog might be Junes Bottom, but it's kind of a pain even without a dog.

I'd also recommend coming in Main Fork Bluejohn from the non technical entrance. There is some scrambling, but dogs shouldn't have too much trouble.

Something like Devils Canyon or upper Eardley might be OK for tough dogs, but it's at higher elevation so I'd wait until late March or so.

Farsworth Canyon near Goblin Valley would be fine for dogs.

There are plenty of walk through slots in the Cottonwood Wash area in the Grand Staircase, but I don't know of road conditions right now. That's a longer drive for you though.

Dry Fork Coyote too or maybe Zebra Canyon.

If you wanted to backpack in, there are plenty of slots you can visit in places like Robbers Roost Canyon as well. Same with Happy Canyon.

There are plenty of other slots around too, but I didn't recommend the really popular ones that have scrambling and technical sections since it may or may not be a good idea to take dogs through them on a holiday weekend, even in February.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Completely understandable, however, I don't appreciate rudeness when someone desires clarification. I didn't personally feel I owed too many specifics when the topic of my thread was geared towards recommendations for non technical canyons. I have people going with me this time that have almost no experience on ropes, webbing, anchors, etc. I'd like to think the canyoneering community would welcome some people wishing to gain experience rather than nit pick details--we are new at this after all and are unaware of the reputation of the Irish Canyons apparently. We basically hit a series of the canyon inlets off of the main road--I don't remember the road name specifically, but it led to Lake Powell. We went as far as we dared just to explore, but obviously the dogs were an issue. So in an effort to not feel completely alienated by my experience with Tom--albeit I was attempting to be friendly--I will concede that "we did the Irish Canyons" and will further rephrase to "we attempted the Irish Canyons with our dogs." I welcome anyone to ask me for further details if I am ambiguous at times, but I am in no competition with other members on this forum. I simply asked for some non technical recommendations to avoid crowds. Thank you Scott P for clarifying, I do appreciate it.

13. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Thank you Scott P; I will take your recommendations. I really do appreciate your help.

15. Likes Scott P liked this post
    I simply asked for some non technical recommendations to avoid crowds.
    No problem, but at first we didn't know if you were looking for non-technical or beginner technical canyons. Now we do, so no problem.

I have people going with me this time that have almost no experience on ropes, webbing, anchors, etc. I'd like to think the canyoneering community would welcome some people wishing to gain experience rather than nit pick details--we are new at this after all and are unaware of the reputation of the Irish Canyons apparently.
    Yes, there are no non-technical Irish Canyons. That's why we were all confused. Tom actually has a website detailing some of the Irish Canyons if you are interested.

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/north-wash/

Shane too (it's the ones in the list that have Irish names):

http://climb-utah.com/Powell/index.htm

Nice canyons. Some are beginner friendly, but still technical and you will want basic rope skills. The others are quite difficult and for experts only. If you did want to take your dog you could do Lep from the bottom, if that's not the one you already did. That section would be pretty dog friendly.

Scott P: My original statement was "My husband doesn't have much rock climbing experience and I've been out of the rock climbing scene for 6 years now--so we prefer a beginner canyon until we can gain some good climbing experience." My apologies, I assumed that this statement would infer that I wanted minimally technical canyons--my husband has basic rope skills. Thank you for the links and information, it will likely be a while for me to get my husband and his friend up to speed on climbing confidently. We only get to Utah once or twice a year, albeit I might have some engineering conferences out there that could lend more opportunities. Again I am completely new at "canyoneering", so please if I ever confuse you or anyone else, I would appreciate the chance to explain so there are no misconceptions. Safe travels Scott....

Lower Maidenwater is a great hiking slot canyon in the North Wash area. It's really pretty but often overlooked by the canyoneering community because it's "just a hike".

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Lower Maidenwater is a great hiking slot canyon in the North Wash area.
    I agree too. It's a good one. Since there is a lot of wading, it is fairly chilly in February though. Go prepared.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    "Apparently "did the Irish Canyons" can have a variety of meanings."

Apparently some people take great offense at being told that their communication is somewhat ambiguous.

21. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Will do gentlemen! Thanks again!
    Men do not fight for flag or country, for the Marine Corps or glory or any other abstraction. They fight for one another. And if you came through this ordeal, you would age with dignity. -William Manchester

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    "Apparently "did the Irish Canyons" can have a variety of meanings."

Apparently some people take great offense at being told that their communication is somewhat ambiguous.
    I guess I didn't find this statement that ambiguous: "We actually did the Irish Canyons with our pooches--which included some small technical portions. It wasn't what I would call a whole lot of fun struggling with them along the technical segments."

Welcome to Bogley, Bshell, and, don't worry about Tom being...Tom. He's on that other canyon site too just in case you were thinkin' of jumping ship to avoid this kinda dust up.

Cheers!

Thanks Brian. I don't take kindly to "snarky" comments especially when I am a beginner and I'm trying to get some fresh people into experiencing what Southern Utah offers. I suppose the thread would have been better placed in "hiking", but I wanted a slot canyon. I would assume that Tom needs a resume for each person in the canyons to make certain they meet with his approval, which defeats the fun of getting out in the first place. I'm former military and try to avoid these unsavory encounters as much as possible...but I understand that my negligence to detail can be seen as a "claim to fame" by some when it is actually rather innocent. Thank you for the welcome message and I don't intend to jump ship just yet. I apologize if I came off a bit heated, I tend to say what I think.
    Men do not fight for flag or country, for the Marine Corps or glory or any other abstraction. They fight for one another. And if you came through this ordeal, you would age with dignity. -William Manchester