Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZION: Base Jumper Dies after 1500-foot fall

ZION: Base Jumper Dies after 1500-foot fall

ZION NATIONAL PARK

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Very sad to hear. Hard for me to be completely sympathetic since base jumping is illegal in the park.

Blog Entries
    Interesting journalism phrasing, "completed a base jump to her death"...
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Interesting journalism phrasing, "completed a base jump to her death"...
    That's exactly what I thought. There has to be a better way to phrase that.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Very sad to hear. Hard for me to be completely sympathetic since base jumping is illegal in the park.
    Hmmmmmmm.

To me, the illegality is more or less beside the point.

Basejumping is really dangerous, so it is hard for me to be all that sympathetic, because basejumping is really dangerous.

Great movie on the subject: http://www.7thart.com/films/20-Seconds-of-Joy

In 20 Seconds of Joy, they talk about how people do not usually base jump for more than 5 years. After 5 year, either they are dead, or all their friends are dead. (tends to be discouraging).

7. Likes Taylor liked this post
    Ironic.....we were just up there 1 week ago today. We discussed BASE jumping. Pretty certain they would've traced our footprints in the snow? Sad deal and my heart goes out to friends and family :-(

To "complete" a base jump I believe your chute must be deployed. This one was definitely not complete.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Wonder if the GoPro survived? Just sayin...

from KSL

PARK — Crews on Sunday recovered the body of a 28-year-old Salt Lake City woman killed in a BASE jumping accident.
    Amber Bellows, whom park spokeswoman Aly Baltrus described as an experienced jumper, attempted a BASE jump off Mount Kinesava about 2:30 p.m. Saturday. Her parachute failed to open and she dropped approximately 1,500 feet to her death.
    Her husband, Clayton Butler, who was in Zion National Park with Bellows, hiked down the mountain and contacted park employees about 6:30 p.m.
    Because Bellows was confirmed to be dead, crews waited until daylight to begin the recovery effort. Sunday morning, Baltrus said her body was located and crews recovered it.
    Word of Bellows' death hit the skydiving community in Utah hard Sunday. She had close ties to Skydive Utah in Erda, as well as Skydive Ogden. Representatives from both facilities said they were too upset to talk to the Deseret News and KSL on Sunday.
    BASE jumping is not allowed in Zion National Park. The accident was the first fatal BASE jumping incident in the park, Baltrus said.
    Additional information will be posted as it becomes available.

Read more at http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=2865...A5vlfPK9Eqf.99

ZION NATIONAL PARK

Amber Marie Bellows had been married all of two weeks when she died BASE jumping with her new husband in Zion National Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Amber Marie Bellows had been married all of two weeks when she died BASE jumping with her new husband in Zion National Park.
    And they celebrated their marriage in Las Vegas with a BASE jump

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/201...braty-marriage

YouTube Vid:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUW_qh_h57U

Dayum.

Are they going to push for a felony charge?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Poor guy. He just got married and then he watched his wife jump to her death. I seriously hope he's doing okay.

His blog: http://claytonhoytbutler.com/

This picture was taken only a few hours before the jump. Read this post: https://www.facebook.com/ClaytonHoyt...347987122265:0

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post

Nice.
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post

Did you really just write that ????

She fell for him hard......

Too soon?!?

That's bad man...

Now if it was a fat idiot that got crushed by a goblin he was knocking over, or even a dude swinging off of Corona Arch that didn't do the proper weight test on his new dynamic rope, game on.

But if the person making the illegal BASE jump within a National Park (higher profile than a State Park, mind you) happens to be a cute girl, it's very sad indeed.

Double standard much? In fact not even a whisper of a fine for the guy that jumped. (I hope he doesn't get charged with anything!)

Hell even if it was a dude that jumped and died, you all know there'd be much more criticism, mocking the GoPro / Monster Energy Drink stupid Facebook youth.

But indeed, very sad. Especially since they were just married. Tragic. Condolences to family, friends, and the widower (if that's the correct term). It's just my duty to point out double standards. My stance is NOT that we be harsh on this couple, but to be easier on everybody in general, including others who have died doing activities we deem crazy, whether they're cute or not. I think it's rather shallow to further punish the less attractive.

23. Likes ratagonia liked this post