Thread: Planyoneering

Planyoneering

Every year it happens the same. After a couple months of my interests being elsewhere, my mind wanders to the desert and I catch canyon-fever just as spring is approaching.
    Planyoneering is the best part of February and March by far. This is the time during which I set trip dates and recruit partners, select canyons for the coming season and start gathering beta, pick out a "main event" of the season and make maps.

For me the most enjoyable part of pre-season planning is finding and analyzing unpublished canyons via satellite imagery and other geo-data, then selecting the most promising one and plotting an approach route. The appeal of this comes from the unknown... any given slot could be a dud or it could contain the most beautiful, difficult or unique feature I've ever seen in a canyon.

The two biggest anxiety causing scenarios(other than flash flooding, which can't have it's risk reduced by preseason planning) for me are getting lost and getting "in over my head" in a canyon. Because of this, in Feb and March I spend a lot of time studying route-specific navigation and making maps as well as brushing up on rope work and other in-canyon technique.
    Anyone else enjoy planning for canyoneering as much as me? What do you all do to get ready for the coming season?
    -Sam

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I can't say that I plan for the season, but I do love planning each individual trip. I'm only a 3-4 hr drive to zion/nw/swell so getting out is easier. My planning usually consists of what canyons do I need to do to prep for such and such hard canyon, what skills do I need to practice.

4. Likes ratagonia liked this post

Planyoneering

That's why it's a beautiful thing to only work 2-3 days a week. 12hr shifts.

Mon-fri, 9-5 is for the birds. I don't know why the developed world is so hung up on that paradigm of their work schedule.

For me, work revolves around life, not the other way around.

But for the sake of my uncrowded weekdays, carry on...

6. Likes Taylor liked this post
    In my opinion, Canyoneering season starts January 1 and ends December 31.

I do the same things you listed above and plan canyons for each season, only the planning isn't confined to any time of the year, but throughout. I'm thinking of some good ones for Spring and Summer, but have some I want to complete before the winter is over as well.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    That's why it's a beautiful thing to only work 2-3 days a week. 12hr shifts.

Mon-fri, 9-5 is for the birds. I don't know why the developed world is so hung up on that paradigm of their work schedule.

For me, work revolves around life, not the other way around.

But for the sake of my uncrowded weekdays, carry on...
    Good thing the rest of the world works so all the other days so you can have a "flexible" job ;)
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

I make sacrifices for my own schedule as well. To me, it's worth it.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Scott,
    It seems like a lot of people canyoneer year-round, which is freakin' awesome. I've always meant to make it to Freeze Fest, but never have.
    'Cause I live in the Front Range of CO, the already numerous challenges to making a canyoneering trip happen become too numerous for me in winter time. This Oct or early Nov we sat on a closed Vail pass for 3 hours before turning around and heading home in the 3" of snow.
    Maybe I'm just making excuses for being a fair-weather friend to the activity of canyoneering. I know there's plenty of other CO canyoneers who get out all year long.

Taylor,
    Work to live, don't live to work. I'm with you on that one.

Cool idea for a thread, Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    For me the most enjoyable part of pre-season planning is finding and analyzing unpublished canyons via satellite imagery and other geo-data, then selecting the most promising one and plotting an approach route. The appeal of this comes from the unknown... any given slot could be a dud or it could contain the most beautiful, difficult or unique feature I've ever seen in a canyon.
    The most enjoyable part of my planning is the sharing of dreams, what other people want to see, the crazy things we might do. I'll probably exchange email talking about 300 different adventures this year, and only actually do 30.

But none of that email is a waste. As the saying goes, sometimes it is more fun to shop than it is to buy. Could we be the first to ascend Kolob Falls? Oh, YOU haven't done Choprock either?? Heck yes, I'd love to have somebody show me how to survive Sleepy Hollow! Heck no, I won't do Imlay without you on the team.

A superb way to pass the time AND prepare, IMO.

12. Likes SRG liked this post
    I think about canyons year round, but have no desire to do canyons in winter when the snow is good in our local mountains. I love canyons, but the overall fun of snowboarding blows it away (to me). Add to that XC skiing and snowshoeing and maybe even modest winter mountaineering. In the heat of summer, I am biking in the mountains or on the river/lake in a boat. I could do canyons in summer if there is water. I love canyons for their beauty, but consider them spring/fall destinations for the most part. I love having variety of activities with each season. I have done quite a bit of advanced planning for a 2-week canyon trip once, but most times it's just a month or two out from the actual trip.

I am jealous of Bootboy in ways... but that's life. I do get 3-day weekends every other weekend, so that's a bonus.
    As always, YMMV

14. Likes SRG liked this post
    We do a little preseason training to go with the planning. It helps the kids stay familiar with hanging from a rope and basic rope skills. The overhang transition is a challenge. This is where I work on self-rescue techniques, passing knots, etc. Good times.

Name:  20140208_184439_resized.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  68.2 KB
    Name:  20140208_184351_resized.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  91.6 KB
    Name:  20140208_182909_resized.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  77.7 KB
    Name:  20140208_183556_resized.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  75.1 KB

16. Likes SRG liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    good looking helmet on those kids...

18. Likes Dick Dangle liked this post
    I guess I never thought about wearing helmets at the climbing wall. Fixed it anyhow. ROCK!!!!

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  52.4 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  52.4 KB
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  47.4 KB
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  58.0 KB