Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Goblin Valley vandals Charged

Quote Originally Posted by canyoncaver View Post

For me, this falls in the same category as Goblin-toppling. It is only a slightly different flavor of ignorance. I would support charges against the people that willingly did it. Maybe not a felony conviction....
    "Maybe" not a felony for these footprints? Imma hafta say definitely not a felony, unless a law exists stating the opposite.

This is where the contrast between emotion and law come into play. You should get a felony conviction if certain laws were broken and that they are punishable by felony conviction.

There are many policies, rules, and suggestions that shouldn't have a felony tied to them, and in my opinion this is one of them. Should there be a consequence? Absolutely. But when you start pushing for felony charges every time a rule is broken by some dumbass, then the significance of a felony starts to decrease and everything is a felony.

So when our buddy Scott Card successfully defends these idiots in keeping them out of felony zone, we'll have a bunch of armchair lawyers that think they know how the law should really work and "what Scott Card did wrong".

It's similar to how I work for a School District, when I hear somebody did 10 over in a School Zone, and that person should be arrested, I just roll my eyes. It doesn't mean I support speeding in School Zones, I just support the documented punishment that fits the law.

I've never said, nor even suggested it's ok to break these rules. I support the notion that it doesn't take a felony charge to make these idiots sorry for what they've done, and that this whole incident has taught a lot of people these acts of vandalism are unacceptable.

The publicity of this case has done more to reform them and many others, than a felony could have EVER done. I do support due punishment though.

2. Likes hank moon, xxnitsuaxx, ratagonia liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

when the sentencing happens (assuming they are found guilty) there should be another wave of publicity that should hopefully send another message about how wrong it was to even think about doing something like this

I can end the speculation if you would like. Yes it is the Scott Card that posts on Bogley, John Wayne avatar and all.
    No he won't discuss it here.
    Yes the accused deserve the best possible defense team as does anyone accused of a crime. (Regardless of anyone's feelings about the crime.)
    I agree with Austin, He owes no one an explanation of any kind, unquenchable curiosity or not. (Regardless of anyone's feelings about the crime.) I will not discuss his reasoning to take the case either. (Not my place)

Scott Card is a Great attorney, but a much BETTER man. Tread Lightly.

Take Care, Spidey

6. Likes xxnitsuaxx, Kuya, MrAdam, ratagonia liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by deagol View Post
    This has been posted elsewhere, but
    http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57...-rock.html.csp
    From the link:

"The men were sentenced Tuesday afternoon to a year of probation and no jail time after pleading guilty to knocking over an ancient rock formation in the state park."

Nice job keeping them out of jail, Scott! I hope the warning signs don't diminish the beauty of the place.

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    From the link:

"The men were sentenced Tuesday afternoon to a year of probation and no jail time after pleading guilty to knocking over an ancient rock formation in the state park."

Nice job keeping them out of jail, Scott! I hope the warning signs don't diminish the beauty of the place.
    We have no say in how the restitution will be spent but the word is that it will be for signs. Ya, I know, signs......<sigh> I offered to build trails, fix campgrounds, remove trash or graffiti, etc. but our offers to actually help the community were summarily rejected by the powers that be in the state. So we get signs.
    Life is Good

11. Likes ratagonia, Kuya liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    We have no say in how the restitution will be spent but the word is that it will be for signs. Ya, I know, signs......<sigh> I offered to build trails, fix campgrounds, remove trash or graffiti, etc. but our offers to actually help the community were summarily rejected by the powers that be in the state. So we get signs.
    (sigh)

Yes, a bunch of signs is a REALLY GOOD WAY to enhance the natural beauty of Goblin Valley.

Perhaps it goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway -

If you can't figure out that a goblin or two might fall over once or twice a year, and that you should not be underneath it when it does; or that it is not your job to push over goblins because "it's awesome yeeee haaaaawwww"; then... (facepalm)

Tom

hopefully they will put the signs up at the parking lot and not down amongst the goblins...