Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Goblin Valley vandals Charged

And more to the point (if he is even the same person of the same name... and we can't nor need be 100% sure of that...), his profession, and what he does in that profession, has no bearing upon his standing here in this forum which to my knowledge is of the highest order.

2. Likes phinux, dude9478 liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Dontcha think SC would have shown up by now to clarify??
    Really? I don't know that much about the legal system, but I do know that posting on a public forum such as this would be a huge no-no.

I'm pretty sure it is him. The odds of having two lawyers in the same town with the name of Scott Card are pretty slim.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

5. Likes dude9478 liked this post
    Scott is right, it would be a really bad move for an attorney to post on an public forum about a ongoing legal matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Really? I don't know that much about the legal system, but I do know that posting on a public forum such as this would be a huge no-no.

I'm pretty sure it is him. The odds of having two lawyers in the same town with the name of Scott Card are pretty slim.

Vandalism is such a casual thing and I expect most vandals don't really think about the consequences and are under little risk of getting caught. These guys destroyed a natural formation, not just tipped over a porta pottie, and deserve to be punished. If a felony fits they should wear it.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

8. Likes deagol liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by cchoc View Post
    If a felony fits they should wear it.
    The point is that a felony and jail time DON'T fit. It fits about as well as incarcerating pot smokers.
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Dance View Post
    The point is that a felony and jail time DON'T fit. It fits about as well as incarcerating pot smokers.
    Nope. That formation is gone forever, smoking pot is not a valid comparison. Nor is them turning your car upside down or tagging your house. since man made objects can can be repaired. Letting them off easy gives sends the wrong message, but you're probably right that they will skate.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

11. Likes deagol liked this post
    Fine. Give the guy that tipped it a felony. No one will ever do it again, at least while allowing themselves to be filmed. You can only legislate good behavior to a point. All scofflaws that really want to will find ways to commit crimes and not get caught.

How about his filming buddy? Does he deserve a felony too? Since when did it become illegal to film something, as long as the party being filmed gave consent? What kind of Nazi Gestapo police pig state do we live in?
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

And smoking pot IS a valid comparison, as far as the DEA is concerned. You smoke pot, your brain cells are gone forever, thus negatively impacting society to the point we must incarcerate them to avoid the opportunity cost.

Its not just that he filmed it, but he obviously didn't try to stop it either and so was complicit in the act.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    Its not just that he filmed it, but he obviously didn't try to stop it either and so was complicit in the act.
    So what? What obligation do I have to stop a crime I see happening? Last I checked, our government went out of its way to encourage us to not interfere with criminals in the act, lest we get hurt. And if it's a crime to not report a crime you happen to observe, even that you stood and watched, I call bullshit. The reaponsibility lies with the person that committed the act, no one else.

And is the filming buddy guilty of the same degree of crime? Really? You're going to slap both with equal felonies? Something doesn't add up. Obviously the judge will have common sense and give the main perp the higher sentence, but the state park bureaucrats had to make a statement.

Sure if its a random criminal on the street, but this was his friend I highly doubt he would get shived for telling him to stop. You are probably right about the legal obligation, but he damn well had a moral obligation to tell him to stop and so I say go for the charges. If they stick great, if not maybe it will at least make him think twice about standing around cheering on his criminal friends.

Oh and I do agree that the guy standing around should get the lesser sentence. I'm sorry for not being clear on that. I do think he should be charged with something though.

Oh good grief. I guess people should just have the right to go around Utah knocking things over to prove we don't have a police state.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

^^^THIS^^^

There is only one lawyer registered with the name Scott Card in the state of Utah.

You are probably right about the legal obligation, but he damn well had a moral obligation to tell him to stop and so I say go for the charges.
    So does that mean it's OK to start using the state to force my moral views on people? Haven't you been watching the gay rights movement over the last few months? Is it now OK for me to throw someone in jail for giving his wife oral sex because I think it's wrong and will degrade society? I hope you see the hilarity, ridiculousness, and futility of this kind of thinking. This is the reason we have laws - so we can tell the difference between morality and legality.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Dance View Post
    And smoking pot IS a valid comparison, as far as the DEA is concerned. You smoke pot, your brain cells are gone forever, thus negatively impacting society to the point we must incarcerate them to avoid the opportunity cost.
    Humans are replaceable... natural features are not..

Quote Originally Posted by dude9478 View Post
    Scott is right, it would be a really bad move for an attorney to post on an public forum about a ongoing legal matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    ^^^THIS^^^

There is only one lawyer registered with the name Scott Card in the state of Utah.
    I think that was Bob's point. The fact that Scott hasn't shown up to clarify ( for this obvious reason) points to it being him.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    How dare he(SC) take a case without first consulting the bogley attorneys..
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Looks like the scouts visited Death Valley too:

Name:  1622472_740474725976812_1298990173_o.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  98.7 KB

Too bad they'll never catch these jerks unless someone turns them in.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

26. Likes dude9478 liked this post