Thread: No kidding

No kidding

Wondering if anybody has done no kidding in the last week or two. Dry? Muddy? Any guesses? I know it's been at least 2 weeks since any significant precip.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Right now, I'd bet dry.

When you first arrive at No Kidding you will go down a short slot that places you at the top of the first rappel. From there you will have a good view into the canyon. If you've seen any water to that point, I would turn back. IMO that canyon is meant to be done when completely dry.

If you do see water from your perch at rap #1, turning back is easy. Little time would be wasted, and there are many great canyons in the immediate area you could do instead. I'd recommend Monkey Business as your backup.

Please consider bringing a couple sections of garden hose, cut open lengthwise, to put over your pull rope in order to prevent rope grooves.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

No kidding

I've walked past the top of it so I know what you're talking about. So if no water in that first section, it should be good?

I just was t sure if there were any big holes down low that could be a deep wade or even a swim. That, I'd like to avoid.

Thanks bob

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    I've walked past the top of it so I know what you're talking about. So if no water in that first section, it should be good?

I just was t sure if there were any big holes down low that could be a deep wade or even a swim. That, I'd like to avoid.

Thanks bob
    Mud.

If it is wet, it can be very muddy. Muddy makes it very difficult. SandTraps do not work well in the mud, and there is very little other anchor work, other than SandTraps.

Tom

We'll peek in from the top and assess the situation. I've done lesser canyons in the mud, which is nothing I'm anxious to do again in a more difficult canyon.

We did No Kidding on December 31 at Freezefest. At the first couple rappels, the top layer of sand was frozen and we had to use an ice axe to break thru the frozen layer in order to farm sand for the sandtrap.

I am not sure what the weather has been like in the area since then, but I would assume it has warmed up and the frozen sand thawed out and is now muddy.

I'm anticipating filling potshots up top before rap 1

The area has seen no precip in nearly 3 weeks. If wet at all, it's likely to be frozen with current temps. Should be interesting.

No kidding

Just finished a one day trip to the wash. We completed No Kidding car to car in about 4.5 hours with a group of there. Not a hint of water in the canyon itself. Farming sand was a non issue. Only a little mud in the plunge pool at the last rap. Fantastic canyon.

More to come...

11. Likes Slot Machine, MrAdam, ratagonia liked this post
    Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    More to come...
    Well?
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

I'll see if I can get Bryce to post the pics. I don't have any.

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

Interesting trap placement in photo 39. Did that work ok?

No kidding

Yep, it worked great to keep that sand trap up high near the lip. I understand that this has traditionally been a tough placement as the geometry complicated the pull. I just held it up high as my partners weighted it. Then when it was my turn, I had my buddies hold just a little tension on the retrieval line, just enough to let me clip in with it falling down. I then knelt on the lip, lifted the sand trap ever so slightly with the rap line, then moved over the edge without letting the sand trap slip back down. I kept the rap line weighted for the pull so the trap didn't slip. The pull was a piece of cake.

17. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Nice set, and nice job. Snow out there, or were you before the storm?

We sometimes use a 3rd rope to hold the SandTrap in position from below.

Tom

No kidding

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Nice set, and nice job. Snow out there, or were you before the storm?

We sometimes use a 3rd rope to hold the SandTrap in position from below.

Tom
    We beat the storm.

We considered the 3rd rope option but weren't sure we had enough rope. (We totally did)

Pics are awesome.

Is that the rap devise you designed and fabricated? If so, how well did it work?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    Pics are awesome.

Is that the rap devise you designed and fabricated? If so, how well did it work?
    Yes it is. It's flaws have been revealed. But so have it's strengths. I'm hoping to get v2.0 out this summer. Although I'm slightly discouraged by the advent of the CRITR. I would be interested to know if anyone involved in the development of the CRITR has any exposure to my device through one of my testers. Hmmm