Thread: critical beta for TOD canyon

critical beta for TOD canyon

I'm looking for any critical information on descending TOD canyon; e.g. longest drop, keepers, particularly tricky anchors.
    Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by cynhermit View Post
    I'm looking for any critical information on descending TOD canyon; e.g. longest drop, keepers, particularly tricky anchors.
    Thanks.
    Welcome to Bogley.

TOD is a "Ram puzzle", where select pieces of the route are published, so one must do some sleuthing to discover its location. Do you even know where it is? (seems most critical to me)

I've burned some calories trying to figure it out. But first, where do YOU think it is?
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Predicting 7 page thread. Go!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

5. Likes jman, Slot Machine, SRG liked this post

I have wondered if this is one of those naming situations. Kelsey calls it one thing, others call it something else (i.e. a canyon hiding in plain sight). Just speculating.

Ken

I do in fact know where it is as I have peaked into it from various places over the past decade. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that my assumption was confirmed by photos from a trip report. Obviously I won't mention it's location as it's not mine to give away. Regardless of whether folks are willing to share "critical" beta, I'm confident in an exploratory descent this spring. Mighty temping to go sooner with the fine weather here in Boulder!

I am curious about the name, too...

Quote Originally Posted by spinesnaper View Post
    I have wondered if this is one of those naming situations. Kelsey calls it one thing, others call it something else (i.e. a canyon hiding in plain sight). Just speculating.
    Not in this situation. This canyon doesn't look good enough to justify the misdirection.

I do in fact know where it is as I have peaked into it from various places over the past decade. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that my assumption was confirmed by photos from a trip report. Obviously I won't mention it's location as it's not mine to give away. Regardless of whether folks are willing to share "critical" beta, I'm confident in an exploratory descent this spring. Mighty temping to go sooner with the fine weather here in Boulder!
    Okydok, let me help you answer your own questions, using clues from the mentioned trip report, as a way to help you prepare. Fill in the blanks:

1. People always include rappels greater than ______ feet in their trip reports. Therefore, I should prepare for rappels up to _______ feet.

2. The TOD group (in the trip report) included ___ people, so I should bring ___ people.

3. The TOD group brought a ___________, which means there might be at least one difficult anchor placement.

4. True or False. People normally mention tricky potholes in their trip reports.

Anything else?
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

10. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Good point(s), right under my nose. Your logical thinking leaves me feeling a bit sheepish about unnecessarily seeking an easy answer.

Good point(s), right under my nose. Your logical thinking leaves me feeling a bit sheepish about unnecessarily seeking an easy answer.
    No worries. Ask away! If you go, be sure to post a trip report upon your return.

One last thought... The escape from the river might prove to be more challenging than the canyon itself. If Eric broke a hold and almost fell 40 feet, that is saying something. I do not know Eric personally, but I'm pretty sure he is a solid rock climber.