Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody done Waterholes Cyn?

I'd be interested as well. And I have two 360' ropes.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I've wanted to do Waterholes for a long time, but every time I was in the area it was closed.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

how is the river going up to the exit point. I'm sure I could get somebody to bring a boat up and get us. That is if this turns into an invite yourself type of trip

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I've wanted to do Waterholes for a long time, but every time I was in the area it was closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    how is the river going up to the exit point. I'm sure I could get somebody to bring a boat up and get us. That is if this turns into an invite yourself type of trip
    Quote Originally Posted by mzamp View Post
    Do you have exeact dates yet? I would be interested in going and could bring my 360ft rope.
    Well boys...So far I've been unable to contact the Navajo folks to see what is open and what isn't. I'll PM you all when I get a little more info.

As for the boat idea, I've seen trip reports of people being picked up. Looks cushy. My plan was this:

Name:  61lhT5vmBNL._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  38.8 KB

Unless, of course everyone prefers floating to victory in this ( VVVVV ) hot rod instead.

Name:  913Lzopz3mL.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  96.4 KB
    canyon to the face??? CANYON TO THE FACE!!!!

Do you leave us any choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What if I throw in a nights stay at Amangiri resort?

Back in 2012 I seem to recall that you could pendulum to rappelers right (canyon left) on the big rap and gain maybe 6-8' in elevation, so if you were only a little short that may be an option perhaps. Or re-belay off the ledge anchors, which look like this:

Name:  P6210822.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  123.7 KB

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojave Silence View Post
    Name:  P6210822.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  123.7 KB
    Niiiiice, as in, classic F'd UP anchor rigging!

9. Likes Erik B liked this post
    See also: Junk show

11. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    You guys do understand that any shuttle will me a monumental effort...
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    You guys do understand that any shuttle will me a monumental effort...

At least the 89T landslide bypass road is paved now...

http://www.azdot.gov/media/News/news...o-restrictions

So perhaps only an hour and a half drive-around, Lee's Ferry to top of the canyon.

Tom

14. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    At least the 89T landslide bypass road is paved now...

http://www.azdot.gov/media/News/news...o-restrictions

So perhaps only an hour and a half drive-around, Lee's Ferry to top of the canyon.

Tom
    Yea--maybe monumental was to much.....

But still significant
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

16. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post

Who are you asking? I've obtained permits for WH on several occasions over the previous years and never had an issue. I usually just stop in the Cameron Visitor Center along the 89.

Who are you asking? I've obtained permits for WH on several occasions over the previous years and never had an issue.
    Usually the website itself keeps up with current closures:

http://navajonationparks.org/permits.htm#7

Recently, the Kaibeto Chapter community has prohibited hiking and camping in the entire area of Upper Kaibeto, Navajo Canyon, Choal Canyon, (Kaibeto Creek), Peach Wash, and Butterfly Canyon. Also, the area around the Inscription House community and Tsegi Canyon, (Dowozhiebeto and Long Canyons) are closed. These Closures are due to trespassing across residential areas, NO PERMITS, DISTRUBING LIVESTOCK, LITTERING, AND THE POSSIBLE DISTURBANCE OF FRAGILE ARCHAEOLOGICAL RUINS

Right now Lower Waterholes Canyon is not closed, but it has been in the past. Lower Waterholes Canyon has opened in recent years, while Navajo Mountain has closed.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Even if one acquired a permit to hike Water Holes Canyon, how does one get to it?

According to ADOT website (http://www.azdot.gov/projects/north-...s-89-landslide), US 89 is closed for 23-miles--from milepost 523-46

Water Holes Canyon crosses under US 89 at milepost 542. (I am assuming it is strictly verboten not to drive on the closed highway.) Would one have to park at milepost 546 and hike four miles to where the canyon crosses under the highway?

Quote Originally Posted by townsend View Post
    Even if one acquired a permit to hike Water Holes Canyon, how does one get to it?

According to ADOT website (http://www.azdot.gov/projects/north-...s-89-landslide), US 89 is closed for 23-miles--from milepost 523-46

Water Holes Canyon crosses under US 89 at milepost 542. (I am assuming it is strictly verboten not to drive on the closed highway.) Would one have to park at milepost 546 and hike four miles to where the canyon crosses under the highway?
    I don't believe the road is closed there.

There is a detour sign just South of Page but there is way to many Navajo homes that are accessed from 89 to be closed.

The slide was approximately 18 miles South of Page. Were as Waterholes is around 4 miles South.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by townsend View Post

It's open and you can park at the usual spot. Getting there and shuttling just takes a little more time due to the closure. Still well worth it!

22. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Thanks both of you for the information. I've hiked the non-technical eastern portion twice before. I have explored the canyon west of US 89 as far as the first rappel, wanted to do the first four rappels (maybe more now?) and then exit down canyon right, but didn't have a partner at the time. I really like Water Holes Canyon . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Erik B View Post
    Fantastic beta guys! Really, all of you, thanks! I've emailed Navajo Parks & Recreation about the permits. Haven't heard back...ugh. Were hoping for end of March on this guy.
    Did you ever go through in March??

Quote Originally Posted by mzamp View Post
    Did you ever go through in March??
    We havent yet. I DID however talk to some guys that had just come out as we were finishing a trip through Paria. They told me pretty much this: http://candition.com/canyons/lower-water-holes-canyon

I was extremely envious. My crew isnt available again until September, at which point we will be ABSOLUTELY doing it, unless someone wants to cruise through there with me somewhere between May 8-11th. Anybody game?
    canyon to the face??? CANYON TO THE FACE!!!!