Thread: Utah's Fantasy Canyon - Gardens of Bone FILM

Utah's Fantasy Canyon - Gardens of Bone FILM

Back in August I decided It was time to stop procrastinating, and make the drive to Eastern Utah. I've always wanted to visit the eastern deserts, but kept shelving it in order to pursue other sites. I had seen a few photos of Fantasy Canyon, but had no idea where it was, and the photographers I asked wouldn't give up the location, giving me misdirection as to the difficulty and accessibility. When I finally found the site location, I was happy to learn that you can drive right to it on dirt roads... and I was a bit ticked off that I had put it off based on misdirection given by dishonest and stingy photographers.

I had a friend lined up to go with me, but he backed out, so I just pushed ahead alone.

There were some beautiful discoveries along the way, including herds of wild antelope, and numerous herds of wild mustangs living in the desert. But the canyon itself was truly the highlight, not just of this trip, but of ALL trips I've done in Utah. The site is so unusual, so ALIEN, that words can't really describe it. The sandstone formations look like a mixture of dinosaur skeletons and weird alien carcasses.

I got there in the evening and realized I would need to camp overnight to shoot it at sunrise as well. Talk about an eerie place to stay the night! I'm considering making this a Halloween weekend annual event.

As an aerial film maker, I couldn't have been more pleased with the scenery. It was a delight to film those odd forms.

When I got home and reviewed the footage, I realized this film needed a special soundtrack, something haunting with vocals describing memories of past creatures revealed in gardens of bone. So I spent the better part of a week writing and recording an original soundtrack for this film.

It's one of my best films, and hopefully a few Bogley nature lovers will appreciate the effort put into it.

If you do visit the site, be aware that the formations are smaller than they appear in photos, and some are quite delicate. I am positive that the splendor and fragility of the place is the reason photographers keep it a guarded secret. Please be careful and treat the site respectfully. Keep pets on leashes, and energetic children on shorter leashes. :) and for the love of all that's holy, don't drag drinking buddies or scout troops to this location, the damage would unimaginable. :P There is a rest room on site and a few tables for eating.

Cheers!

- TJ Sheridan
    - Birds Eye Videos

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Very cool! Loved the video! You have definitely piqued my interest since I grew up in eastern Utah. :)

-Luke

4. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Awesome video! I can't wait for the day when I can own my very own GoPro drone! :)

This is an amazing video! Very good job! When I am in Naples next, I think I will have to make the drive to check this place out! :D Very Cool!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

The twilight footage was spectacular!

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

Awesome...shared it on FB...more please?
    Keep your lens clean and your mind open

Stunning. Thanks.
    Life is Good

That was incredible to check that out, never knew that area existed. Much thanks for the investment and time needed to make that film. The terrain looks a lot like Entrada... Similar to Goblin Valley and the Red Cliffs on the western portion of the San Rafael Swell. I'd love to visit this area some day soon.

Blog Entries
    Very cool TJ! Thanks for sharing your films with us.

Pretty neat to get those close shots of the mustangs, and great job with the score too!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Inspiring video TJ. I'm just starting to explore the world of video with my 5DmkII and a GoPro. Aerial drone technology is incredible.