Thread: Trip Report-Livin' it up in Trinidad and Tobago

Trip Report-Livin' it up in Trinidad and Tobago

Note: Click on photo for full caption.

Introduction

My beautiful wife Kimberly and I had some free plane tickets that we decided to use in order to celebrate our 20th anniversary. We were thinking that we would go somewhere in the Caribbean. I was thinking of Saba and Sint Maartin, but after Kimberly read about the wildlife in Trinidad and Tobago, she wanted to go there.

Trinidad and Tobago is full of lots of fantastic wildlife and has some great hiking and beaches as well. Both islands are extensions of the Andes Mountain chain so are well endowed with mountains.

It sounded like a great place to celebrate our 20th anniversary so off we went! (Our anniversary was actually in August, but we couldn’t get away then, so we had to wait until December).

Trinidad is the southernmost country in the Caribbean and is just off the coast of Venezuela. The trip was a great adventure and we definitely got off the beaten track from what most tourist do in the Caribbean.

The beach as Speyside which is near the trailhead for Pigeon Peak and Man of War.

December 9: Asa Wright Nature Reserve (Trinidad)

After a long day of travel, we awoke the next morning to head by taxi up to the Asa Wright Bird Sanctuary location in the Northern Range of Trinidad. Even before we started the guided hike (a guide is required for most of the trail) we saw countless birds, an agouti, and a big monitor lizard. We saw several lizards and bats as well.

The guided hike was interesting and we were shown many other birds (hummingbirds, honey creeper, oriole, trush, etc.) and different kinds of plants and flowers (the monkey ladder plants were really neat). There were many small birds, and then some larger ones such as parrots. There was also the biggest ant colony that we had ever seen.

After returning back to the lodge for lunch, there was a big downpour. After lunch, Kim and I hiked to the freshwater pool where there was a large pool and a small waterfall. There were many small frogs around. I took a swim.

Purple Honey Creeper.

A big monitor lizard we saw while hiking in the Asa Wright Nature Reserve.

One of the birds we saw while hiking in the Asa Wright Nature Reserve. I do not know what kind of bird it is, but if you know, please let me know!

An Agouti we saw while hiking in the Asa Wright Nature Reserve. It is kind of a strange creature and about the size of a large rabbit.

One of the birds we saw while hiking in the Asa Wright Nature Reserve. I do not know what kind of bird it is, but if you know, please let me know!

One of the strange flowers we saw while hiking through the Asa Wright Nature Reserve.

The Asa Wright Nature Reserve was full of birds, more than I have ever seen in the wild. The purple one is a honeycreeper. I do not know what the black one was, but if you know, please let me know!

A huge and beautiful flower we saw while hiking through the Asa Wright Nature Reserve.

One of the birds we saw while hiking in the Asa Wright Nature Reserve. This one was a little shy. I do not know what kind of bird it is, but if you know, please let me know!

This is the gigantic ants nest we saw while hiking in the Asa Wright Nature Reserve. It is by far the biggest one I have ever seen. It is maybe 10 meters/33 feet long?
    December 10: El Cerro del Aripo (Trinidad)

Today we set up to climb El Cerro del Aripo, the highest mountain in the country of Trinidad and Tobago. It sure was an exciting climb! Because the road was in poor condition, we had to walk a ways to the trailhead. It took us a while to find the correct trail, but once on it we made good progress through the rain forest and up to the saddle between Morne Bleu and Cerro Aripo, often while walking through the pouring rain. From here, the route would become much more challenging.

There was no real trail to Cerro Aripo after the saddle, and it was all through really thick rain forest and pouring rain. There were also several steep and significant subpeaks to climb along the way. The route was somewhat marked with the occasional piece of flagging tape on the trees. The steep sections were extremely slippery, especially with the pouring rain. We were also completely covered in mud.

Along the way to the summit we saw many strange plants and flowers. We were also startled by a mountain crab. When the rain briefly would taper off, there were plenty of butterflies and bats as well. I had one huge caterpillar on my shoulder, and only noticed that it had stinging spines after touching it to brush it off.

We reached the summit right at 1 pm. There were no views in the thick rain forest and rain, but it was still really beautiful. Because we were pressed for time, we had a very quick lunch and then descended the mountain.

The climb back was even more slippery than the climb up and we still had to reclimb all the subpeaks, still in the rain. We also got off track a few times in the thick jungle.

We got back to the trailhead and rushed along the road on foot in order to not miss the ridge that was supposed to pick us up. We were a little late, but it wasn't a problem. It sure was a good climb.

The little waterfall at the trailhead for El Cerro Del Aripo. There are actually two waterfalls, so we had to find the right one in order to find the correct trail.

This is the easy section of the trail to saddle between Morne Bleu and Cerro Aripo. The route will become much more challenging after the saddle.

Kim navigating through the jungle on the west ridge of Cerro Aripo. There wasn't a real trail, but we could follow old blazes on the trees and an occasional piece of old flagging tape.

Kim on part of the route through the jungle in order to climb Cerro Aripo.

Blue butterflies such as this are all over Trinidad and Tobago. We saw several of them on our climb to Cerro Aripo.

Climbing though the jungle on Cerro Aripo.

Kim on part of the route on El Cerro del Aripo. It was a rugged jungle climb. Cerro Aripo is the highest mountain in the country of Trinidad and Tobago and appears to be seldom climbed.

Navigating the thick jungle in order to climb Cerro Aripo.

Despite the fact that Kim has been bushwhacking through the jungle and mud in the pouring rain for the past several hours, she is still smiling.

Kim on the summit of Cerro Aripo. It was a challenging climb to get here!

After climbing through the jungle during pouring rain, the steep slopes were so slippery that the only thing you could do was slide down through the flowing mud.
    December 11: North Coast/Paria Bay (Trinidad)

The original plan was to explore the Guanapo Gorge, but heavy rains but an end to those plans. Instead we decided to hike the North Coast to Paria Bay and Falls since it was thought that it would be safe in the rain.

The ride to the North Coast was longer than the original plan and several parts of the road were washed out. The trail was in mostly good condition, but some sections were washed out or had trees fallen across the path. Because of the heavy rain, there were also several river crossings as well.

The coast, beaches, forest, and waterfalls were really beautiful. There were actually three waterfalls that we found and I took a swim in one pool (though we were already soaked from the rain!).

The walk back was about the same as the walk in, though I got a big thorn caught between my eyebrow and eye lash from a low hanging branch. It stabbed be good and I was lucky that it didn’t get my eye.

We say several parrots, other birds, butterflies, and bats along the way. It was a beautiful, but long day, mostly in the pouring rain.

Kim crossing one of the streams along our route to the Paria Bay on the north coast of Trinidad.

Kim is actually walking on the trail when this photo was shot. That's how hard it had been raining!

Paria Bay. This was part of our North Coast hike on the island of Trinidad. Most of the time we experienced heavy rain.

A waterfall at Paria Bay.

Kimberly on the beach at Paria Bay, Trinidad.

One of the waterfalls created by the heavy rainfall at Paria Bay.
    December 12: Nariva Swamp/Bush Bush (Trinidad)

Today we finally saw some sunshine! It was decided to go to Bush Bush (island) in Nariva Swamp in order to see the wildlife (which was Kim’s primary motivation in choosing Trinidad as a vacation destination.

After getting up very early, we headed for the East Coast and the Nariva Swamp. After arriving at the national park we arranged a boat ride through the mangrove swamp in order to reach Bush Bush. The first thing that was noticed was the mosquitoes, so we really put on the bug juice.

After riding a small motorboat through the mangrove swamps, we arrived at the island and set off to explore. The first things we saw were some gigantic snails and then red howler monkeys. We spent quite a bit of time hiking and looking for more monkeys. We never did see the Capuchins since because of the recent rains they were out in the swamp looking for more snails. I had really wanted to see and Anaconda as well (I still haven't seen one in the wild), but no we didn't see any.

We saw a lot of birdlife and some giant cicadas. We also saw different trees and plants, including the incense tree which has flammable (but good smelling) sap. After exploring the jungle on the island we returned to the water, but since the boat was not ready, Kim and I explored around and saw some more howler monkeys.

On the boat ride back, we also saw a caiman. Once out of the swamp, we headed to a nearby mud volcano to check it out before heading back to Arima.

That night the bed and breakfast threw us a surprise anniversary party since they knew we were there to celebrate our anniversary even though it was back in August (we celebrated it late this year). They made us a cake, other food, sparkling juice (since they knew we didn't drink alcohol), and played us some music on the steel drums. It was really nice.

Mangroves as seen on the boat ride through Nariva Swamp in order to reach Bush Bush island. Bush Bush has great hiking and is full of wildlife.

A red howler monkey as seen while hiking on the island of Bush Bush in Nariva Swamp.

A giant snail shale on Bush Bush island, Trinidad. These are by far the biggest snails I have seen anywhere in the world.

A red howler monkey on Bush Bush island, Trinidad. We saw several of these monkeys on this day, but they are fast little buggers, so they are hard to photograph.

This is a church near the East Coast of Trinidad. It was a very friendly country and the people really warm and welcoming. The country does have its problems, such as a high crime rate and poverty, even though there is much wealth from oil. The country has a large percentage of Christians, Hindus, and Muslims. One thing that was really neat though is that the different religions seem to get along very well. Here is a photo of the church in east central Trinidad. The Muslims, Hindus, and Christians actually all share the same church building that they built together. They each use the building on different days of the week. I though it was really neat that they do this.

One of the strange mud volcanoes on the east side of Trinidad. This unusual natural formations are prevalent in Eastern and Southern Trinidad and are caused by decaying organics.
    December 13: Mount Tabor (Trinidad)

Today we climbed Mount Tabor since it was thought that it would be a good choice with the threat of rain. We caught a ride to the Saint Benedicts Monastery and took a little bit of time to wander around and locate the trail up Mount Tabor. We did find it and climbed up the steep trail past the old fire lookout and through the pine forest. The views were good and we saw several big vulture like birds. We also saw a gigantic grasshopper that was more than 6 inches (15 cms) long.

After reaching a small summit, the trail became less distinct. It actually got more difficult the higher we went. We also ran into a gigantic spider and after that a huge millipede. There were many razor sharp ferns (that would draw blood!)and some of the plants really stung like stinging nettle, but much worse. Thinking the trail would eventually improve, we continued up by bushwhacking. The route became more miserable as we climbed.

We eventually reached the top of the mountain, but couldn’t find the alternate route down, so we set off back the same way. It was a relief to get through all the sharp plants and the stinging ones as well. We had rain on and off, but as soon as we got down it really began to pour.

Mount Tabor was the only climb we did in Trinidad and Tobago that wasn’t that fun. It was fun climbing up to the first peak at the top of the pine forest, but beyond that it wasn’t very pleasant. I don’t think I’d repeat that part of the climb again!

After the climb, we head for the airport for our late evening flight to Tobago.

These are the lower and more pleasant slopes of Mount Tabor on Trinidad. It is going to get a lot more difficult higher up!

View from the slopes of Mount Tabor.

Some kind of huge vulture in the tree on Mount Tabor on Trinidad.

This is the pleasant part of the forest on Mount Tabor. Up higher there is much sharp vegetation and stinging plants.

This is the biggest grasshopper I have ever seen. It was more than 6 inches/15 cms long!

There were many of these huge vultures in the trees on Mount Tabor.

Views from the first sub-summit of Mount Tabor. The views were actually better on the sub-summit than on the real one.

Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

December 14: Pigeon Peak/Man of War (Tobago)

[FONT=Verdana]Today Kim and I decided to attempt Pigeon Peak and Man of War, two of the highest peaks on Tobago. We were weary of our experience on Mount Tabor the day before, so we weren
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

4. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Scott, you amaze me with all your adventures. Thanks for the report.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2