Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just Released - Arches Climbing & Canyoneering Management Plan

Quote Originally Posted by peakbaggers View Post
    Matt,
    If the tree in the photo is the one you mean, then would you think the rappelwould probably require a full 200 ft rope and equal pull cord??
    Yeah, I would think 200 would probably be plenty but it might not hurt to throw in a little extra. Although now that I look at that picture more, there is a big rock right that you could probably also use.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by deagol View Post
    Fiddlestick would solve most of the friction problem
    Your typical weekend canyoneer is never going to adapt the Fiddlestick as standard equipment, nor should they. As this is a trade route the rappel needs to be set up with a safe anchor that can be safely used by your typical rap-n-swim canyoneer.The LAST thing the canyon community needs is a death at this rappel.

One of the reasons the rangers at Arches are so easy to work with is the canyoneering community has been very helpful when a problem arises.

4. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by canyondevil View Post
    There is a tree just on the other side of the arch that would be an ideal spot for a Fiddlestick/Smooth Operator:
    Anchoring from the tree would still require that your ropes run over the buttress of Abbey Arch, which probably won't make the rangers real happy.

might as well be afraid of your own shadow...

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Anchoring from the tree would still require that your ropes run over the buttress of Abbey Arch, which probably won't make the rangers real happy.
    If you go back up canyon about 30 ft there is a nice pine tree that is not to far from the edge. We use to use it when Desert Highlights was using the arch. It is not quite as cool as Abbey rappel but still pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    If you go back up canyon about 30 ft there is a nice pine tree that is not to far from the edge. We use to use it when Desert Highlights was using the arch. It is not quite as cool as Abbey rappel but still pretty good.
    Does that rappel drop you into the head of the canyon?

I know there are several options that don't include Abbey Arch. I've looked at them before but never used them.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Is this route doable in winter?

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    It depends.

Hehe

I imagine it probably is allot of the time though.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Does that rappel drop you into the head of the canyon?

I know there are several options that don't include Abbey Arch. I've looked at them before but never used them.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3
    Not right at the head but close. It's been awhile but it seems like it is free hanging.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Yes, but there are two spots that become a little tricky if there is snow on the ground.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

There is probably snow on the ground. Elephant Butte was really sketchy Saturday and I would bet that the Fiery Furnace routes are as well.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Yes, but there are two spots that become a little tricky if there is snow on the ground.
    Snow on the ground? Snow in the air? Since when did you care?

Shane rapping from Abbey Arch. February 2012.
    Name:  IMG_3423.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  59.0 KB
    Last edited by Slot Machine; 01-21-2014 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Date corrected above. The great thing about having a crappy memory is that I won't remember being embarassed tomorrow.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

15. Likes Iceaxe, Sandstone Addiction, Kuya liked this post
    nice picture

17. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Shane rapping from Abbey Arch. October 2011.
    February 20, 2012

Here is another pic from that day. That's Stormy in the picture.

Name:  IMG_5053.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  138.1 KB

Arches National Park - Fiery Furnace Access Regulations

After reading through the new Arches NP Climbing & Canyoneering Management Plan and looking at the existing regulations, the list below represents our understanding of the current regulations in regards to the Fiery Furnace. Some regulations only pertain to canyoneering, which was within the scope of the plan. Other regulations, particular those regarding hiking were not part of the scoping process and remain from the past. We feel this is an ongoing process with the park and will be subject to review and possible adjustments. The Coalition of American Canyoneers remains committed to following up and working with Arches NP as issues come under consideration. Current and historical information can be found on the CAC web site: http://www.americancanyoneers.org/arches-np/

• The daily limit in the Fiery Furnace is 75 people
    • This does NOT included the ranger guided tours
    • Limit for canyoneering is 6 people per permit
    • Limit for hiking permit is 25 people per permit
    • Total daily quota for canyoneering and hiking permits is 50 per day
    • 25 permits are reserved daily for commercial use authorization holders (CUA's).
    • Commercial use authorization holders are both local businesses in Moab and out of area tour groups who have applied for a CUA and acquired a Fiery Furnace permit
    • Commercial use authorization holders are for profit businesses
    • CUA holders are commercial operations who are authorized via a federal permit to provide a visitor service like guided day hiking in the Fiery Furnace
    • Commercial use authorization holders are restricted to the ranger guided tour route
    • Commercial use authorization holders make up 17% of the annual Fiery Furnace use, ranger tours excluded
    • The stated reason for these imbalances are that that the Arches Management Plan did not have the scope to address hikers and CUA's access numbers
    • The park plans to create what is called a "Site Strategy" for the Fiery Furnace to balance those usages.

Potential service projects:
    A volunteer based resource stewardship program could be developed in partnership with the canyoneering community to enhance monitoring capacity and resource protection. Our chance to actively take care of the canyons we visit.

Establish communication in both directions on all information that impacts Arches NP canyoneering.

Rick Demarest
    Coalition of American Canyoneers

Quote Originally Posted by water View Post
    • Limit for canyoneering is 6 people per permit
    • Limit for hiking permit is 25 people per permit
    Yeah, cuz that makes A LOT of sense!

6 Hikers with ropes are so much more impactful to the area than 25 hikers without
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    Yeah, cuz that makes A LOT of sense!

6 Hikers with ropes are so much more impactful to the area than 25 hikers without
    Ram's response to this issue on http://canyoncollective.com/threads/...n.19046/page-2

Yeah, me too. Its crazy out of balance. Here is the reason

"Some regulations only pertain to canyoneering, which was within the scope of the plan. Other regulations, particularly those regarding hiking were not part of the scoping process and remain from the past."

In other words, hikers and commercial users were not part of the scoping process so those numbers exist from the past. I suspect that in time a comprehensive program will be in place. The park called it a "site strategy."

Some caution here. In the Grand Canyon, user groups tended not to support each other, in the past. There was a sense that if one group got something, then it had to have been taken away from another group, thus river people, hikers and later canyoneers did not support each other. It is through the herculean efforts of Rich Rudow and the CAC that mentality has shifted and the hopefully will result in pack rafting being allowed. It better be or half the canyons in the ditch become impractical. The river people, who wait years for a thru canyon river permit were very against these pack rafters jumping in front of the line, as they saw it. It didn't matter that the canyoneers were doing 5 miles and they were doing 250. That has changed. Most support pack rafting now. My point? Just because the group size is unbalanced now, canyoneers can still get all the permits they want on a daily basis up to the 50 allowed. The fact that a hiker group can have 25 in a group is NUTS. But it is access and it would be a shame if total non-commerical access were reduced. Given time, I am sure that the "25" per group number will go down to reasonable numbers. We have to make sure the 50 per day doesn't go away. Besides, if you avoid the three rappels in the Furnace and leave the rope and harness behind, then you ARE a hiker.

By the way, the park settled on the 6 per permit because of the statistics. Over 80% of the groups were 6 or less for canyoneering. They didn't pull the number out of a hat. Personally, I would like to see the # on the permit go up to 8. We will have our opportunity to advocate for what we want, as these issues come up on the park docket.

Join the CAC and swell our numbers and our influence

http://www.americancanyoneers.org/join-now/

Ram