Thread: Helmet Stand???

Helmet Stand???

So I consider myself an intermediate canyoneer with a decent amount of experience but I have done very few really narrow canyons. I have been hearing a term thrown around that I am unfamiliar with called "helmet stand" and it sounds like it is a useful trick for those really tight spots. Can someone explain the uses and technique of a "helmet stand"? Is someone wearing the helmet when you stand on it? That sound uncomfortable.
    Thanks ahead of time,
    Dev

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nobody is wearing the helmet, in a helmet stand. As a non-midget sized canyoneer at 6’ 5” and 250 lb, I have used a helmet stand once to get me out of a jam. The technique is as simple as it sounds, place the helmet or helmets on the ground and stack as many helmets as needed to get the stuck canyoneer over the pinch point. Slot canyons are in a V shape, so being able to move ones chest up 6” vertical in a skinny canyon could add 1” of additional width to enable a big guy like myself to defeat the obstacle.

In my case, I was in Alcatraz canyon at a 15 foot long, narrow corridor shortly before the crux of the route. I was climbing above the obstacle, but slipped about 3’ short of the end of the corridor due to the mud on my shoe. My chest became wedged to the point that I couldn’t move. Someone in my group stack 2 helmets, which got me high enough that I was no longer stuck.

4. Likes Slot Machine, ratagonia liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Additionally, in tight canyons, it helps to have someone small to help the big people through the canyon. The small people sometimes manage the helmet stand, and/or retrieve the helmet once the big person is past the pinch point. A trekking pole can be useful in retrieving the helmet.

Worse - the underwater helmet stand!

Teamwork can get you through tight places or up difficult climbs at times.

Tom

6. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Thanks guys. That is pretty simple then. Just something to stand on. Have you ever broken your helmet by standing on it?

Quote Originally Posted by PhysWiz View Post
    Have you ever broken your helmet by standing on it?

No, although my brother said his helmet was flexing pretty good and was worried I was going to break it.

Helmet stands are what some folks use after they run out of skill....

LMAO

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

10. Likes Taylor liked this post
    Maybe use a Trango Big Bro #5?