Thread: What is the best way to mount a GoPro to a Helmet?

What is the best way to mount a GoPro to a Helmet?

I am going snowmobiling in a couple of weeks. Last year I tried to use the normal GoPro helmet mount (seen here) but I felt like it was going to fall off in the cold. Does anyone have any tips for mounting GoPros on helmets for the cold?
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I used the strapy mount thingy to go through the holes in my helmet for mine http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/vente...FTDhQgodjG0AuA
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

I use the head strap http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/head-strap-mount

It fits underneath the little tabs on my Petzl helmet, and grips to the helmet surface with grippy rubber stuff.

Name:  pdp_image_HeadStrap_QuickClip_5.jpg
Views: 2795
Size:  23.0 KB

Certain mounts can have a hard time in freezing temperatures. I'd get some parachute cord to tether it off somewhere.

The best view while snowmobiling, if you're going to keep it in one place the whole time, would be either from the chest harness, or mounting to the side of your helmet catching just a tiny bit of the visor in the frame.

Bad footage consists of seeing the snow only, you'll have no scale of how fast you're going, how big the bumps are, it's just a shaky white nightmare with loud engine noises.

So yeah, take some test shots trying to catch a bit of the visor in the frame, not too much though. Having something unmoving in the frame really helps stabilize it for the viewers.

Good luck!

I use the chest mount instead of the helmet, you get more impression of speed and the trail ahead rather than the 'floaty & detached' view of helmet mounted.

I also have started to mount it rear facing under the saddle, using the after market bar mount fixing on the seat post, so you get the rear wheel moving around on the bottom of the screen and your mates following you behind. Looks quite good but the screw fixings alone cannot be tightened enough to stop it dropping on big hits, so you need to zip tie / tape the camera housing to the bottom of the saddle to offer additional support.

My bet is on the side cause when you eat it you always forget to bring a new sticky. Not to mention them darn lower branches and all.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

When I was jetskiing, I used a fixed mount on the engine cowl of my stand-up, and tethered it off to a hood bracket in case the mount failed. This offered a great perspective. When mountain biking, I go with the chesty harness, which gives a great view, but your hands are always visible which can be somewhat distracting. The best mount is the helmet mount GoPro offers, which can be cinched down providing you have a ventilated helmet. Most M/C helmets are not vented, so I am guessing you're going to want to mount it using the stick-on mount and then use a 90 degree assembly to point the camera forward and upright. I use this setup on one of my MTB full-face helmets and it works perfect. Use a wrist strap from a small digital camera, thread the loop through the GoPro's hinge on the cover, and then tie off the other end to your helmet. That way you won't lose your camera if the mount fails/freezes off.
    Mountain guy trapped in the wetlands of Florida.

Then again if you use the contour stickies they do work best but I have torn more off the most.
    Maybe I need to learn how to ride and save the stickies and my ribbs.

I did loose my go pro 2 for a minute but then the neighbor screwed my day up by finding it. Says they knew who it. (Full of off road dirt bike vids).
    I was not so happy. Thaught I had the perfect excuse to get something better. But what the hell? I'll buy into the go pro but still have the biggest POS phone .
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.

I think half the battle with the sticky mounts is cleanliness & temperature. The other half is contour.

The sticky mounts shown in the attached picture (on wingtips) have no other attachment, and they stand up to 250mph winds, + and - 9g and bouncy landings. Perhaps not the same shock loading as for example knocking a helmet against a canyon wall, but not far off.

Name:  dhl_6.jpg
Views: 2567
Size:  54.1 KB

Awesome, my buddy has a plane and we've talked about mounting it to the wing. We just don't trust it though. Maybe with a tether of some sort. Maybe I'll volunteer my GoPro 1 since I was thinking of selling it anyways

I've used the GoPro rubber sucker on my own plane up to 140mph. I'll try to find a photo. Mention to your buddy that a tether will cause a camera to bash around an awful lot...better to lose it than cause consequential damage.

Edit: here's some photos using the rubber sucker (I'm flying, same day, two different aircraft, neither of them mine, but GoPro camera was not lost!!!):

Name:  BUUC1.jpg
Views: 2230
Size:  21.0 KB

Name:  BUUC3.jpg
Views: 2435
Size:  49.8 KB

Name:  BUUC4.jpg
Views: 2476
Size:  45.6 KB

Wow, I've got the suction cup mount, I guess I just don't trust it to stick! I would be tempted to place silicone around the edges or something.

It's this mount that I have:

Yes, that's the one. Anecdotal evidence suggests it's OK up to 200mph, but I'm sure that depends on how good the surface is.

You try pulling it off by hand (if you pardon the expression )...you'll likely break it first. Try using it on your car.

Hmm I have one of them and thought the same thing.
    But I have never found one on the trail.? Just saying.
    Guess it is worth a try.
    I did give away a chest mount unit Hated it.

OK, so @Rob L, would you prefer a sticky mount on the wing, or the suction cup mount? I would trust the sticky, but it's more of a permanent fixture and would that cause any long term effects?

For a low-profile, low-drag installation on a painted metal surface, or fibreglass, I'd prefer the sticky mount, but you would have to consider it to be permanent. Removing it might well remove paint too. Not a good idea on a "borrowed" aeroplane / car / boat etc.

For windows etc (be they glass or acrylic/lexan) then the suction mount is better as it won't be permanent.

For any high-g loads (say on a fast speedboat crashing through heavy waves), a hard mount is best (i.e. bolt the camera to a hard point...I use lots of RAM mounts with mine. Or use a sticky, but drill a hole through the middle & use a countersunk screw & nut to make darn sure the thing won't fall off (this last one is also permanent...it leaves a drilled hole through the structure).

Is this for you Justin or your buddy with the plane? Feel free to pass him my email address (you can find it through the Admin Control Panel).

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post

Is this for you Justin or your buddy with the plane? Feel free to pass him my email address (you can find it through the Admin Control Panel).

Rob
    Thanks, this is for my buddy Dave. I'll give him your email, thanks!