Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Robbers Roost Distance to Lodging

Oh yeah, about your moronic response, Bootboy, what does it matter to you why we'd prefer lodging to camping? Is your life that shallow that you cruise forums to post ignorant responses?

BTW, I'm from NJ not CA and your woman thought my pair didn't need to grow anymore.

Go brush your tooth.
    Last edited by LJF; 01-09-2014 at 10:33 AM. Reason: left something out

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ok Scott, I never claimed to be an expert in canyoneering so no need to redicule me. My buddies are and I'm looking to get into it more so I'm sure the roost will be a great way to do that.
    Last edited by LJF; 01-09-2014 at 10:34 AM. Reason: left something out

Well put Slot Machine. Boot boy probably has inappropriate relations with his sister in his tent that he's so proud of sleeping in so what should anyone expect from a tool like him?

Hey, I saw one of those nice RV's in the Roost last year - we could not figure how they made it in due to the some of the sand bars needed to drive over.
    Amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    There is a newly reopened restaurant across the road from the Hanksville Inn. It is under new management, and the food is superb!
    Hmmm, don't want to go all sissy here, but you need to be a raging carnivore to 'like' the new menu. But if so, it might be great food. Just a heads up for those not so gastronomically inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by LJF View Post
    Oh yeah, about your moronic response, Bootboy, what does it matter to you why we'd prefer lodging to camping? Is your life that shallow that you cruise forums to post ignorant responses?

BTW, I'm from NJ not CA and your woman thought my pair didn't need to grow anymore.

Go brush your tooth.
    While bootboy wasn't nice about his reply you seem to have stooped to his lvl in this response and the one to slot machine. Just ignore stuff like that and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    While bootboy wasn't nice about his reply you seem to have stooped to his lvl in this response and the one to slot machine. Just ignore stuff like that and move on.
    Bah! What is the sport in that, Tom? (friendly tone)

LVL just needs to learn the ropes around here. Flinging poo like a monkey is frowned upon (your woman thought my pair blah blah), while being clever with your words earns bonus points.

Imagine yourself as a cranky canyoneer that is trying to be civilized. Then you will fit right in.

Quote Originally Posted by flatiron View Post
    Hmmm, don't want to go all sissy here, but you need to be a raging carnivore to 'like' the new menu. But if so, it might be great food. Just a heads up for those not so gastronomically inclined.
    Compared to Blondie's or Stan's, it is world-class cuisine!

But you are right, it is carnivore oriented. I normally eat a vegan diet, and there were no vegan options. However, the food my friends and I had was VERY tasty. Being in such a remote area, we were shocked at the selection and quality.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

@Slot Machine, I guess you do have a point. Aside from the freezefest reports, things have been a little slow around here lately. Its almost like no one is doing any canyoneering lately. Guess I'll have to break down and post a report from my trip to DV

12. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Ok Scott, I never claimed to be an expert in canyoneering so no need to redicule me.
    No, I hope I didn't really ridicule that much, at least not harshly, but only thought the question was "weird" (not because of canyoneering and hotels, but because the Roost and hotels combo). The Meet Up thing is an ongoing joke. Perhaps it was harsh, even if meant to be funny. I also made some suggestions on canyon areas close to hotels.

Trust me, us canyoneers like to rib, poke, and tease each other a lot and even get into the occasional flame war. If you do get rescued or injured (regardless of experience level), for God's sake, don't post it in a trip report. And certainly don't post any photos without helmets. It's probably not a good idea to take a tuxedo either.

(PS, I do think Bootboy's post was a bit harsh).

My buddies are and I'm looking to get into it more so I'm sure the roost will be a great way to do that.
    Well, yes and no, and depending on the canyon. There are some easy canyons in the Roost, but it's a long way from rescue service and does seem to be a magnet for mishaps. As Tom mentioned, it's one of the worst places to go if you want to stay in a hotel. Keep in mind that you will also be losing 2-4 hours per day (round trip) in drive time for most of the canyons, if staying in Hanksville or Green River.

Assuming you do want to stay in a hotel to go to the Roost:

For the main part of the Roost, Bluejohn is probably your best bet. For the greater Roost, Moonshine, Three Canyon complex, the canyons near the Angel Trail, Poison Springs, or North Wash are all good bets.

Most of the Bluejohn system, minus the Squeeze Fork is pretty good for competent beginners. Moonshine is great for beginners. North Fork Robbers Roost is really good for competent beginners, but the climb out can be intimidating for some. If you go to the Roost, I'd start with those.

For staying in hotels, I think the other areas I listed in a previous post are better bets, but wherever you go, have a good, fun, and safe trip.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

14. Likes LJF liked this post
    this could be a good opportunity to show an example of the preferred Robber's Roost canyoneering attire to those unfamiliar with it...

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I think beginners could focus on the poison spring area out of Hanksville and be quite content for several days, while getting in some nice canyons.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

17. Likes Taylor, Slot Machine liked this post
    How has no one mentioned the Motel 6 that is right at the trailhead for the Blue John canyons? That is five star lodging right there.

19. Likes deagol liked this post
    How has no one mentioned the Motel 6 that is right at the trailhead for the Blue John canyons?
    Oldno7 mentioned it on the previous page. I've actually set up my tent inside it a few times when it was really windy. I've also slept in there without the tent. The only reason for the tent was to make sure that there were no mice.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Robbers Roost Distance to Lodging

Quote Originally Posted by LJF View Post
    Well put Slot Machine. Boot boy probably has inappropriate relations with his sister in his tent that he's so proud of sleeping in so what should anyone expect from a tool like him?
    You're totally right. That's why I sleep in a tent.

I guess you would need a place to plug in you curling iron and blow dryer...

Iceaxe, too funny regarding
    "Camping is just an additional hassle you have to deal with.... kinda like having to buy your date dinner before you can bang her"

You're a brave Bootboy spewing all your crap from behind a keyboard. Face to face, I highly doubt you'd be talking the same stupid crap. Remember, your the one that initiated my responses so if you're going to talk trash, be man enough to accept what comes back at you, little Bootboy

Thanks for that advice oldno7
    Last edited by LJF; 01-09-2014 at 05:07 PM. Reason: forgot to post name

Little Bootboy with more brave talk from behind his keyboard. You're right, I need to plug in the curling iron, blow dryer & don't forget, my electric blanket in case I get cold out there.