Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Robbers Roost Distance to Lodging

Robbers Roost Distance to Lodging

Looking to determine how long of a drive under good circumstances from Robbers Roost to Hanksville or other lodging. Into canyoneering but not into camping out. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Plan on 1-2 hours, depending on which canyons and road conditions.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

nearest is going to be Hanksville or Green River. Might try to map it with Google maps. I know doing that really helps me get a good estimate when I'm planning my trips.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Quote Originally Posted by LJF View Post
    Looking to determine how long of a drive under good circumstances from Robbers Roost to Hanksville or other lodging. Into canyoneering but not into camping out. Thanks.
    From the HWY 24 turnoff about 20 miles north of Hanksville, it's a minimum of about 45 minutes to one hour driving one way on sections of frequently and badly washboarded roads to get in the vicinity of Granary Springs and canyons like Blue Johns, Mindbenders, Larry, Alcatraz, etc. Hanksville has very limited lodging choices, Green River has numerous choices. You can also drive in directly from Green River on graded dirt road that has some slower sections and some fast. Takes more time to drive in that way than to stay on pavement from Green river down HWy 24 to the turnoff north of Hanksville and drive in from there. Maybe 15 minutes extra. After you drive both dirt roads, you may change your mind about camping. Some vehicles handle the washboards with little problem. Other vehicles, like our pickup with stiffer suspension, get rattled to death.

To do the Roost you really need to camp. I always option for a motel when given a choice, but when we do Roost canyons we camp.

And your motel options suck.... Hanksville has got to be the biggest shit hole in Utah, and about the only thing that saves Green River from earning that title is that Hanksville exists.

YMMV

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

7. Likes DOSS liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    To do the Roost you really need to camp. I always option for a motel when given a choice, but when we do Roost canyons we camp.

And your motel options suck.... Hanksville has got to be the biggest shit hole in Utah, and about the only thing that saves Green River from earning that title is that Hanksville exists.

YMMV

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3
    Mexican Hat gets my vote

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LJF View Post
    not into camping? Robber's Roost would then be your WORST choice of a place to canyon.

From the "charming" motels in Hanksville, it is a half-hour drive to North Wash and a wide selection, wide variety of canyons.

If you have not worked through the minislots, they offer an alternative to the normal squeeze and scrapefest canyons in North Wash:

http://www.math.utah.edu/~sfolias/minislot/

Tom

10. Likes Byron liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

The place on 95 heading out of town toward North Wash really isn't that bad... and they used to give Sunday night free (don't know if that is still the case but I'd ask about it).

Quote Originally Posted by davehuth View Post
    The place on 95 heading out of town toward North Wash really isn't that bad...
    I believe you mean not that bad compared to the other Hanksville options, which isn't saying much.... the motel of which you speak is called "Whispering Sands", and it's where I stay when forced to stay in Hanksville. It is often outrageously priced for what you get, but I guess you can price gouge when you're the only cockroach free motel in town.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Hmm I don't know but i thought that the motel in Hanksville was great. Didn't really feel like a motel but rather a hotel. Especially after a long day in the Roost.

Distance to lodging depends on where my tent is.

Robbers Roost Distance to Lodging

Oh yeah, about your question...

What kind of panty-waist claims to enjoy canyoneering and visiting these remote and hidden places but isn't willing to spend a night in a tent as the price of admission to wilderness?

Grow a pair and sleep in a damn tent.

How far away does lodging have to be from a given location for you to consider not going there at all?

Sheesh...

Are you by chance from out of state? Say... California maybe?

16. Likes mzamp liked this post
    I wouldn't go as far as Bootboy goes, but something does seem slightly weird.

What kind of panty-waist claims to enjoy canyoneering and visiting these remote and hidden places
    This was posted a few months ago:

A buddy in Park City and I are heading out to southern Utah in late October and targeting the Escalante area as it seems there are a lot of great looking non-technical slots. I've done close to half of the Virgin Narrows and it was amazing so now looking at other slots.

So it seems the original poster has done "close to half of the Virgin Narrows" and perhaps one or two non technical slots, is now into canyoneering, and is heading to the Roost.

I'd highly recommend a meetup group.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Shane
    You want to get started on plans for refurbishing Motel 6?
    I'll arrange my schedule for construction once we get approval.

Seriously--go camp, it creates memories and the bad ones you remember and talk about the most.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

I always marvel at dudes that attach distinctly different activities as if they were inseparable. For example, redneck NASCAR dude attaches drinking Bud Light, listening to country music, wearing Wranglers and chewing tobacco to their sport, as if inseparable.

Canyoneers do this with camping, like you are insulting your own genitalia if you don't take shelter in a tent. Why the fetish for sleeping on the ground after doing a canyon? Not sure. I like a hot shower and a warm bed after a canyon (and cold beer in the hot tub, if an option). Setting up camp and cooking my own food is a pain in the ass. Camping has its nice moments, and we do when we must, but I'd rather spend those calories battling a canyon.

However, I might approach things a little differently than the unemployable -I think of my time as being worth $$$ an hour, every hour of the day. If I spend two hours setting up camp, then I should have purchased a room and a meal. Not to mention time wasted loading the car with all the camping supplies.

So, my two cents on motels in the Hanksville:

The Whispering Sands is nice. We've stayed there about 15 times in the past two years. Use a AAA card, then split the room with a friend to save some cash.

DO NOT stay at the Hanksville Inn, it is the definition of a shithole. Please see my review:
    http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUse...ECK_RATES_CONT

There is a newly reopened restaurant across the road from the Hanksville Inn. It is under new management, and the food is superb!

In Green River, stay at the Robbers Roost Motel. Super cheap, and not gross. The folks that run that motel are very nice.

The Knights Inn is also OK in a pinch.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Canyoneers do this with camping, like you are insulting your own genitalia if you don't take shelter in a tent.

It appears only one canyoneer eluded to that, and perhaps it was tongue in cheek or he was just in a bad mood at the time. Not that big of a deal, really.

I think a lot of us have stayed in hotels while on a canyoneering trip. The Roost is just a weird place to do it. I guess if you include places like Moonshine Wash or North Wash as part of the Roost (some people do), those places are more accessible to hotels. There's also the Ticaboo Lodge that is near some good canyons.

When Lake Powell isn't in season with boaters you can actually get good deals at places like Whispering Sands or Ticaboo Lodge. When Lake Powell is "in", rates skyrocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    However, I might approach things a little differently than the unemployable -I think of my time as being worth $$$ an hour, every hour of the day. If I spend two hours setting up camp, then I should have purchased a room and a meal. Not to mention time wasted loading the car with all the camping supplies.
    This has always been my approach.... Time=Money.... For the time I waste loading and unloading camping gear I can stay in one of the nicer motels in Moab or Springdale.

Camping is just an additional hassle you have to deal with.... kinda like having to buy your date dinner before you can bang her.

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    In Green River, stay at the Robbers Roost Motel. Super cheap, and not gross.
    I used to stay there sometimes, but last time I did the sheets looked more like used toilet paper, so I haven't been back. That was probably 7 or 8 years ago.

I've been reading the reviews of the Hanksville Inn for years, they are always good for a laugh.

Just for the heck of it, here are the canyoneering areas in Utah that are generally close to hotels:

Zion (especially the Zion Canyon area)
    Moab
    Escalante/Boulder-areas around the towns, not the whole river complex
    Capitol Reef (northern sections of the park)

If you count places like the yurts in Goblin Valley, parts of the Swell too.

23. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    This thread has been a good laugh. Carry on........

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

25. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Take your carefully driven luxury hotel with you and pick your view.

Best to inquire about road conditions before you head out though, but usually not a problem.

Name:  CA 1-front.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  79.6 KB

Name:  CA 2.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  83.8 KB

Name:  CA 3-4(2).jpg
Views: 594
Size:  94.4 KB

27. Likes ratagonia liked this post