Thread: Illimani, Bolivia; Cordilla Range, Andes.

Illimani, Bolivia; Cordilla Range, Andes.

My next adventure is planned! The mountain is Illimani near La Paz, Bolivia.

21,122 Feet, in the Cordilla Range (a branch of the Andes). For several months my party has been training and researching - we have opted to use a reputable guide service. Our tripped is planned for the first week in July (assuming I am done with chemo and ready to roll by then).

Does anyone in the Bogley family have experience in the Andes? Is there any chance anyone on our forum has been up Illimani? If you do/have, please comment below or send me a private message. I'd love to hear more first hand experiences with the Andes.

I'm looking for broad advice on acclimating, gear, etc.

Thanks friends!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Does anyone in the Bogley family have experience in the Andes?

Yes; I've been to the Andes several times. I haven't climbed Illimani yet though.

What kind of info are you looking for.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Venzuela, Peru and Argentina for me (the tallest in those countries).

Been contemplating a trip to Bolivia for a few years...no shortage of neat peaks/areas there. I have most of the current guidebooks as well.

In my youth (Peru was in '86), tended to run right out and get as high as soon as possible, with little regard for altitude issues. Got HAPE in Peru at Pisco basecamp. Was pretty grim. Went down to Huarez to clean out, immediately started Diamox, and, probably not the best idear, when back up high after my lungs were clear.

Go slow and stay hydrated. I've had good luck with Diamox but as I've gotton older, didn't really need it as much (probably 'cause I slowed down a bunch...ha ha). Anyhoo, for some of us with limited time off from work, its a must have in the med kit. Nifedipine too. And, maybe some dexamethasone. Too high too fast can be fatal.

Anyhoo...specific questions?