Thread: Rope Lengths

Rope Lengths

I have 200', 120', and 100' ropes and a 200' pull cord. I'm thinking of cutting the 100' rope into two shorter lengths such as 60' and 40'. Any thoughts on the best combination of rope lengths, given what I have, would be greatly appreciated. I canyoneer throughout Utah.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by kokopelli99 View Post
    I have 200', 120', and 100' ropes and a 200' pull cord. I'm thinking of cutting the 100' rope into two shorter lengths such as 60' and 40'. Any thoughts on the best combination of rope lengths, given what I have, would be greatly appreciated. I canyoneer throughout Utah.
    You have a good combo. Messing with it would probably lessen it's utility IMO, depending on the canyons you want to do of course.

I would buy another 200 footer and dice it up 100, 60, 40. You can't have too many 100 footers, so don't sacrifice the one you have.

Then buy another 200 footer.

Then buy a 300+ footer.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

4. Likes Taylor liked this post
    ^^^^
    What he said. Also, you will be forced to cut your ropes into smaller pieces eventually, due to damage. Wait until then.

I'd just work with what you already have.... soon enough you will have an abundance of short ropes if you stick with the sport for any time at all.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

You may find this thread useful.

Good point. I've only been going sporadically for a couple years and using others' ropes sometimes, so wear and tear wasn't at the forefront of my mind. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond.

I currently have a 330ft, 200, 120 and an 80 and a 40. The 120 seems to be the most used as a workhorse rope, it seems to cover the most drops in most canyons. The 80 rarely gets used and the 40 never gets used. There just aren't enough drops that the 40 can cover. Even if there are drops it can cover you have to bring another rope to make the pull so I find I just bring the 80 or 120. But shorter ropes may work better for you in your specific area.