Thread: SLC Smog

SLC Smog

I came to Utah for a wedding and decided I would like to shoot some photos of the lights at night. However, I was definitely foiled. No way to get sharp shots of distant lights when it looks like this. I think winter may not be the best time to try this.

Name:  Smog.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  42.4 KB

2. Likes accadacca liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

winter is the best time to do this I think.. just have to get it right after a storm
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Cool shot. I agree with desert duke - everything clears up after a good storm. Where did you shoot this shot from I'm curious?

Quote Originally Posted by nicodamus View Post
    Cool shot. I agree with desert duke - everything clears up after a good storm. Where did you shoot this shot from I'm curious?
    Ensign Peak and cool shots are possible from there.....the attached just isn't one of them. When smoggy or hazy like that the lights will look fuzzy and will seem out of focus. I don't like night shots like this without tack sharp focus.

I have some shots from there that I like but they are on an external drive that I don't have with me right now. Here is a different shot that is mediocre. I blamed it on the lens and sold it but later found out it was my cheap tripod that couldn't handle long exposures. Still, you can see the difference on a clear night. A great photo spot and I recommend it.
    Name:  DesertDuke SLC Night.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  110.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images