Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Live and Learn

Hey, I worked with some Ex- British SAS guys years ago on Outward Bound and what they could do with a compass and pacing in low visibility over mountain terrain was UNBELIEVABLE. You sound like one of those guys! Using ones pace or steps to estimate distance is kind of a lost art these days. Do you have a formula for how you change up on slopes or rugged terrain?
    Todd

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm not as good as those guys but wish I was!

On an upslope, your pace will obviously shorten so maybe I would count every other pace. Its really just trial and error but try it and see how accurate you can become. The pacing is a guide to confirm distance but you must use terrain detail as well.

On featureless terrain, to find a point, head maybe 20 degrees off to the right, then when you have paced the distance, turn left 90 degrees and hopefully find your target. Using the '1 in 60 rule' will enable you to work out how far to walk after the 90 degree turn.

Your cone of error is reduced, sailors have used this method to find isolated islands for centuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    FWIW: I HATE using time estimates, they vary greatly. Personally I'll take any type of distance estimate over a time estimate. Anyone who has spent any time in the outdoors will has a good felling for how far they have walked.
    I guess I use time as much as anything...given what I think my pace might be, constantly adjusting for known locations on a map. Which is why my notes on canyons I've done all contain times to drops, etc.

Requires a focus that can be fun, but, sometimes its nice to go with someone who knows the way too...

Quote Originally Posted by Brit Beermonster View Post
    On an upslope, your pace will obviously shorten so maybe I would count every other pace. Its really just trial and error but try it and see how accurate you can become. The pacing is a guide to confirm distance but you must use terrain detail as well.

On featureless terrain, to find a point, head maybe 20 degrees off to the right, then when you have paced the distance, turn left 90 degrees and hopefully find your target. Using the '1 in 60 rule' will enable you to work out how far to walk after the 90 degree turn.

Your cone of error is reduced, sailors have used this method to find isolated islands for centuries.
    Must be a British thing...ha ha. Can't recall why the subject of mapping came up recently, but, was a discussion on how the British used spies dressed as monks to map areas in India, Tibet, etc. Taught them a certain pace for distance, and, they kept track on what at a glance looked like prayer beads. Wild stuff.

Ahhh...quick google search:

http://www.geographical.co.uk/Magazi..._-_Sep_11.html