Thread: Looking for Southern California Beginner Canyons in February

Looking for Southern California Beginner Canyons in February

Hi Bogley. Girlfriend (Nat) and I (David) are heading to San Diego in February and hoping to do some canyoneering in the area. We've done a couple beginner classes from Zion Adventure Company and we did Subway and Keyhole on our own. Looking for some beginner canyons to try on our own when we're out there. We'd be up for some additional coursework as well to dust off the cobwebs, if any is offered in the area in February. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries

Looking for Southern California Beginner Canyons in February

@Canyonater I believe lives in So Cal. He might be able to help you out....

-Brett
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

On Meetup, go to California Canyoneering/Uber Adventures, there are some classes listed there for Feb. Also on the same site is a group from San Diego that has practices there every month. Most of the beginner canyons are going to be up in the San Gabriels/Big tujunga north of LA; Rubio, Bailey, little santa Anita, fall creek, classic etc etc

Like Mojave Silence says....Uber Adventures has classes in February if you need the refresher...ATS should have some as well. I would recommend Rubio, Stone Plus One, LSA, Bailey and Classic/Fall Creek combo in that order ....When I did Classic and Fall Creek a few weeks ago, it was quite the bushwhack. Bailey can be a bushwhacker also. Rubio has great effort to payoff especially if you approach on the eastern ridge that drops into the East fork of Rubio above the 140ft Leontine Falls. There was some water flowing as of 2 weeks ago. Pretty much brush free all the way through. Of course if you have lots of time no reason not to do them all!

We will check out Meetup thanks! And thanks for the specific canyon suggestions. If anyone's around that area in February around President's Day (2/17) we're happy to have company out there, since we're newbs. We'll be out there for a week or so.