Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Utah Football 2014

The question is.....are they gonna be any good this year? Cuz last year they were supposed to have a kick ass team. Unfortunately, the only ass kicking was the one their opponents were laying on them both at Rice-Eccles as well as abroad. Hell, last year's claim to fame was the Stanford game, but aside from that it was a shambles to say the least. Even with a vaunted OC and a returning line-up they sucked pretty bad. Is redshirt Wilson back to 100%?

I predict they'll slaughter Idaho State and Fresno State to start the season, and then the losses will begin on the road at Michigan, then UCLA, and then USC and Washington State will come to town....yada yada yada
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Utes will be lucky if they can make 6-6 with their schedule this year. I predict a 5-7 year. Their 2015 schedule will be more favorable with Michigan at home and the extra PAC12 game at home.

Travis Wilson looks HUGE!

Pictured: Brian Blechen (left) Travis Wilson (right)

It sure would be sweet to have a QB durable enough to last a full season.

I believe Brian Johnson and the Sugar Bowl team was the last time Utah played a full season with one QB.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Look like a tough schedule for the Ute's.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Serious question and I am not asking to poke at anyone or make any comparisons to BYU or other schools. Utah became a contender every year in the Mountain West and did some awesome things against the big boys in the BCS bowls. In those days it was great to be a Ute. Now, Utah is one of the the big boys but is struggling in conference play and has a high probability of another losing season. So here is the question(s). Excluding the money to the program as your point of argument, has the move to the PAC 12 made you happier as a fan? Why or why not?
    Life is Good

The money can't be taken out of the equation as the numbers are just to large. There is no way you can ignore $20 million a year.

As for the team... everyone knew depth would be an issue the first 4 years, and the revolving door at OC has not been good. I don't think it's the move to the PAC 12 that has been Utah's biggest problem. The fact that Utah has not had a QB play a full season since Johnson and the Sugar Bowl team, now that is a big problem.

And I have to say I enjoy seeing USC, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, ect coming in to play. It used to be we got one big name a year if we were lucky. Now more then half the season consists of big names.

So long as Chris Hill is AD the ship will be righted, it just takes some time. Utah finally got their basketball program fixed. So long as they are willing to spend the money the football program will get fixed.

Patience is a virtue! I would rather play with the big boys, then beat up on the underdogs. It will take time to get up to speed....story of life on anything. I LOVE being part of the Pac and watching these awesome schools come into SLC. I really enjoy visiting their stadiums too. Utah came really close to beating a few of them.
    Utah will get there in time and be back to bowl games. Mark my words on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Serious question and I am not asking to poke at anyone or make any comparisons to BYU or other schools. Utah became a contender every year in the Mountain West and did some awesome things against the big boys in the BCS bowls. In those days it was great to be a Ute. Now, Utah is one of the the big boys but is struggling in conference play and has a high probability of another losing season. So here is the question(s). Excluding the money to the program as your point of argument, has the move to the PAC 12 made you happier as a fan? Why or why not?
    Wouldn't change a thing.... Soooo awesome to watch the Utes play this schedule. Every year having multiple major programs come into RES, let alone when they travel, watching those games on television. There is no denying that losing isn't fun, but I wouldn't go back if given the choice, seems unthinkable to even consider it.

Granted, I've consumed the Kool-Aid... I was the biggest "Go undefeated in any conference and you're in the conversation for the Championship Game." I REALLY believed that and that the difference between the conferences/schedules was something the BCS Conferences hid behind. Going through it for years now, it became VERY apparent that it is just different football.

Kind of like being an average starter on the Varsity, as opposed to an All Star on the JV.

I also don't think Utah will ever be a major player in the PAC12, year in and year out contending for Division Championships. I said it even when they received the invite, the Utes will be an Arizona, ASU, Washington like member. Every 10ish years they'd have a team that may contend for a Championship, other than that, they'd be middle of the pack. Note, I didn't say win a Championship, but contend, be right there. I'm fine with that. This football is AWESOME!

Being the smartest kid in the dumb reading group is nice but not really a life long goal to aspire to.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Ouch! the Bleacher Report isn't giving the Utes much of a chance....

Bold Prediction: The Utes will win just four games.

That's probably not the sort of bold prediction that Utah fans were hoping to see here, but unless quarterback Travis Wilson can take about five steps forward from his play toward the end of last season, the Utes will struggle.

Yes, Wilson was banged up, but while he showed flashes in several early games, it wasn't as if he was playing at an All-Conference level. The defense is led by Nate Orchard up front, but again, playing in the Pac-12 tends to make even tough defenses look poor and occasionally awful.

Let's assume Kyle Whittingham's team will be up to the challenge against Idaho State to open the season. After that, there are no guaranteed wins. Fresno State will be tough, as will Washington State and even Colorado. The coaching staff may get this team to five or six wins, but I'm not sure the talent level is there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looked pretty good last night against the mighty bengals. Call me crazy but I think the Utes have a decent shot at starting the season 4-0. Did you see the Cougars get beat by Rutgers? LOL
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Looked pretty good last night against the mighty bengals.
    Are you crazy? Someone must have watched the game through crimson colored glassess. The defense looked like shit. If that had of been a real D1 school the Utes would have had 400 yards rushing and 600 total offense hung on them. The Utes have some serious fixing to do

And BYU looked really good against UConn. If Hill is just mediocre in the passing game that team can go far, particularly if you look at the extended cupcake portion of their schedule.

YMMV

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Utah Football 2014

I wasn't impressed with the defense either. They rushed for 200 yards using two different guys who both averaged over 5 yards per carry. Our secondary got burned on several occasions too. They looked like rookies, not turning their head around to locate the ball.

The offense looked pretty good, but sputtered out of the gates. It should have been at least 21-0 in the first quarter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk