Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson is suspended from show by A&E

Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson is suspended from show by A&E

"Duck Dynasty" dad Phil Robertson has been suspended indefinitely by the A&E Network following his recent comments on homosexuality, the network announced Wednesday night."We are extremely disappointed to have read Phil Robertson's comments in GQ, which are based on his own personal beliefs and are not reflected in the series 'Duck Dynasty'," the network said in a statement.
    "His personal views in no way reflect those of A&E Networks, who have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community. The network has placed Phil under hiatus from filming indefinitely."
    Earlier Wednesday, Roberston had responded to critics who had slammed him forvery graphic statements he made about his preference for heterosexual sex over homosexual sex.
    “I myself am a product of the 60s; I centered my life around sex, drugs and rock and roll until I hit rock bottom and accepted Jesus as my Savior,” he said in a statement sent to FOX411.
    “My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.
    "However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.

In a wide-ranging interview with GQ, Robertson didn’t hold back when sharing his thoughts about homosexuality and sinning.

“Everything is blurred on what’s right and what’s wrong... Sin becomes fine,” he said. “Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men.”

Click here to read his entire interview in GQ.

Paraphrasing Corinthians he added: “Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers—they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.”

The gay and lesbian rights group GLAAD was quick to criticize Robertson for his comments and called on A&E to take action.

"Phil and his family claim to be Christian, but Phil's lies about an entire community fly in the face of what true Christians believe," said GLAAD rep Wilson Cruz. "He clearly knows nothing about gay people or the majority of Louisianans – and Americans - who support legal recognition for loving and committed gay and lesbian couples. Phil's decision to push vile and extreme stereotypes is a stain on A&E and his sponsors who now need to reexamine their ties to someone with such public disdain for LGBT people and families."

Robertson also told GQ his family has lost its privacy since they were thrust into the limelight as the stars of the hit show, but it was well worth it because the series has given him a platform to spread his religious beliefs.
    “For the sake of the Gospel, it was worth it… All you have to do is look at any society where there is no Jesus. I’ll give you four: Nazis, no Jesus. Look at their record. Uh, Shintos? They started this thing in Pearl Harbor. Any Jesus among them? None. Communists? None. Islamists? Zero. That’s 80 years of ideologies that have popped up where no Jesus was allowed among those four groups. Just look at the records as far as murder goes among those four groups.”
    Still, he doesn’t expect his fame to last forever.

“Let’s face it, three, four, five years, we’re out of here. You know what I’m saying? It’s a TV show. This thing ain’t gonna last forever. No way.”

Though the network did not officially fire the Robertson patriarch, many fans are taking news of his suspension to mean his job as a reality star is done for good

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

What's Duck Dynasty ??

Is that like a Kardashian Dynasty ?

Or is it like 19 Kids and Counting ?

I've heard of Naked and Afraid, but never seen it, though it sounds interesting.

And what the heck is Survivor ?

Just give me "Running Man" and get the rest of that crap off off the air !

Seriously, I've never seen Duck Dynasty, or Kardashians, or....,or....or....or....or...or....or....or..... and I'm perfectly happy that I haven't !

I posted this somewhere else and is a cut and paste. Hope it doesn't drift off topic.

While course, I agree that Phil's comments were just his opinion and that he was answering the question honestly. If they didn't want to hear his answer, they shouldn't have asked him the question.

On the other hand, I find Glenn Beck's stance hypocritical. Glenn Beck has said over and over again that he would fire anyone with any opinions that are not his own. The most recent one was that he would fire anyone who buys a fluorescent light bulb.

Here is his exact comment:

“I am dead serious. I fire the person that starts to purchase fluorescent light bulbs unless that is the only light bulb for a specific reasons and I want to be CC’ed on what that reason is.”

So Glenn Beck is a hypocrite for going after A & E for firing Phil over his comments. (The same is true for many politicians/political commentators from all parties).

Freedom of speech should work both ways. It seems that people (including A & E and Glenn Beck) only have a problem with it when it goes against their beliefs.

Of course since it's just a TV show, life will go on and the solution is simple. If you don't like what A & E did you can just not watch them. If you don't like what Phil said, you can just not watch the show. It's still a free country.

There are better things to do than watch TV anyway.

“For the sake of the Gospel, it was worth it… All you have to do is look at any society where there is no Jesus. I’ll give you four: Nazis, no Jesus. Look at their record. Uh, Shintos? They started this thing in Pearl Harbor. Any Jesus among them? None. Communists? None. Islamists? Zero. That’s 80 years of ideologies that have popped up where no Jesus was allowed among those four groups. Just look at the records as far as murder goes among those four groups.”
    I do think that above comment is silly though. In recent decades Christian nations generally have higher murder rates than many other nations that include Shintos, Islamist, etc., even when terrorism is taken in account. (The key didn't copy right, but the darker the color, the higher the murder rate). (PS, I am a Mormon, so this isn't meant to bash religion).

Description English: Murder rate per 100,000 inhabitants most recent year.
    0-1
    1-2
    2-5
    5-10
    10-20
    20<
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

While Glenn Beck and A&E can both fire whomever they want, A&E will suffer more than Glenn Beck's show would, because nobody is tuning in to watch Glenn Beck's production manager. A&E went and suspended one of their current top stars just because they got their feelers hurt.

Glenn Beck would fire somebody for the wrong kind of light bulb, but A&E has probably turned over hundreds of staff members too. They'll regret their decision. Duck Dynasty has one of the biggest followings right now. You don't screw with that line up for some politically correct crusade and expect your fans to now turn away from their loved celebrities.

6. Likes Sandstone Addiction, Scott P liked this post
    They'll soon regret suspending him. I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of their fan base are conservatives like me who happen to agree that homosexuality is a sin. They'll lose viewers pretty quick. Either that or the cast will get fet up with their freedom of speech being restricted and quit the show.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Colorful character's attract viewers and colorful characters are seldom politically correct.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

9. Likes DiscGo, rockgremlin, Scott P liked this post
    Colorful character's attract viewers and colorful characters are seldom politically correct.
    Very true.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Personally I think this is a huge business mistake on the part of A&E. They would have been much better served to issue a statement saying we as a network do not support Phil Robertson's personal views.

I mean get serious.... most actors are bat-shit crazy. How many of us really support Mel Gibson, Jane Fonda, John Travolta or Tom Cruise's personal views?

This isn't going to hurt Phil Robertson in the end, as controversy sales.... they will just take the already highly successful show to anther network, with a larger reach, and bank even more coin....

12. Likes DiscGo, Scott P liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Personally I think this is a huge business mistake on the part of A&E. They would have been much better served to issue a statement saying we as a network do not support Phil Robertson's personal views.

^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^

I hike the Y trail in Provo quite often and without a doubt, when I just wear an ordinary shirt, hardly anyone even notices when I pass by. But the times that I wore my Duck Dynasty shirt at least 1/3 of the folks I passed by would say hi and how much they liked my shirt. Seems to put a smile on everyone's faces.

I only wish people were as friendly when I wear my UTES shirt.

14. Likes Taylor, Sombeech liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

This isn't going to hurt Phil Robertson in the end, as controversy sales.... they will just take the already highly successful show to anther network, with a larger reach, and bank even more coin....
    And to keep in mind, this show is just a convenient byproduct of their multi million dollar business. The Robertsons will not suffer at all. A&E, and anybody else that thinks this, are quite foolish to think Phil's career or finances will suffer in the least because of his views. He is retired. That show is basically gas money for them.

I usually could care less about stuff like this, but I've been watching this story with great interest. I think Phil is free to say whatever he wants and A&E is free to boot him off the show. Really stupid on their (A&E's) part though, since the show is very popular. What I am curious about though is the families reaction. If I was on a show, money was not an issue, and they booted a family member off for speaking his mind, I would tell them to F-off instantly. In the show they always seem to have a strong sense of family and togetherness. If the show continues despite this, my only conclusion is they are actors out for a buck and everything else is BS. the thing that attracted me to this show was they seemed pretty authentic and genuine. To me, that would be lost if they allow one of their own to be booted and don't take a stand for "family".
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

I suspect A&E is more worried about audiences for the rest of their lineup. That said, I've tried to watch the show a couple of times but it didn't seem much different than a trip to Wal-Mart around here.

And just how many of his fans read GQ anyway?
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    So you hire a conservative family to be on your t.v. show, then fire them for being too conservative.....
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

19. Likes BruteForce, Absolute Gravity liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    So you hire a conservative family to be on your t.v. show, then fire them for being too conservative.....
    He was probably a democrat until LBJ signed the Civil Rights Act.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

21. Likes Absolute Gravity liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    “My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the bible teaches....

Christ and the Bible teach intolerance and discrimination? What Bible is he reading from?

He's lumping homosexuality together with bestiality? He's WAAAY out of line.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Yeah but he can say he makes love to squirrels, walnut style. He has the right to be a complete idiot, or genius.

A&E pays staff to get more viewers. Either one of these parties may have acted inappropriately, but only one of them made a mistake.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

My guess is that A&E will still make a nice chunk of change selling Duck Dynasty licensed gomer-wear after all this; they probably put him up to it or at least had to expect him to voice his views sooner of later.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

Cracker Barrel reacted to the growing controversy around “Duck Dynasty” star Phil Robertson’s comments on homosexuality by removing some products from their stores, the southern themed restaurant chain announced Friday.

“We removed selected products which we were concerned might offend some of our guests while we evaluate the situation,” Cracker Barrel said in a Facebook post. “We continually evaluate the products we offer and will continue to do so.”

The restaurant chain noted, however, they “continue to offer Duck Commander products” and highlighted their mission is to “operate within the ideals of fairness, mutual respect and equal treatment of all people.”
    File-This Nov. 7, 2013 file photo shows Phil Robertson, the Duck Commander, holding the 1 millionth duck call assembled for 2013 at company’s warehouse in West Monroe, La. (AP Photo, The News-Star/Margaret Croft)
    Nevertheless, one of the shows largest sponsors is sticking with the “Duck Dynasty” crew.
    Under Armour, denounced Robertson’s comments, but told TMZ they have “no plans to change our current relationship.”
    “We are obviously aware of the situation,” the sports apparel company added. “And his comments are not indicative of Under Armour’s views.”
    Some items on Under Armour’s website are currently sold out. That is not surprising though.
    As TheBlaze reported Friday, retail giant Walmart is selling out of “Duck Dynasty” gear as fans flock to show their support of Robertson.
    On Wednesday, A&E placed him on indefinite hiatus following a number of comments where Robertson gave his brutally honest opinion about homosexuality.

Did you guys read that? By the title it looks like Duck Commander / the Robertson Family took a little ding.

On the contrary. It's A&E taking the ding, although Cracker Barrel is trying to show their political correctness.

"The restaurant chain noted, however, they “continue to offer Duck Commander products”" .... so really, the Robertson Family is still making money with their products while A&E's merchandise sales are taking the hit.

But then again in Walmart, Duck Dynasty merchandise continues to fly off the shelf.

A&E, just like anybody else making a stupid decision for the Political Correctness cause, is on the losing end of this battle.

They lost Cracker Barrel?

I just can't get worked up about a deep south redneck reality show 'star' saying deep south
    rednecky stuff. Super ignorant, but I didn't hear anything malicious. Maybe I didn't hear everything, but if so I don't really care to.