Thread: HURRY--Your Very Own Drone

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have actually used one of those drones, they are really cool for filming video's. All the aerial shots in the video below were done with that drone and a Go-Pro camera. Watch the video and you will be amazed at what the drone can do.

Name:  51eWSxI8hcL._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  27.6 KB

Name:  dji_phantom-600x337.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  40.1 KB

I've been looking at these, I'd love to get some boating shots from out in the middle of the lake, plus some panning mountain bike shots.

The problem is, you're buying the drone without the controller. Plan on a couple hundred dollars more for a good one.

If you plan on viewing on your smart phone, make sure the remote doesn't interfere with the live feed.

My son took one up to Montana this summer while filming a documentary - to get some lake edge flyby shots. The Forest Ranger wouldn't let them use it and even threatened to confiscate it. Said on federal property it is unlawful to use an unmannned drone. He called the Forest Service office and the Ranger's comments were echo'd. Evidently only the gov has the right to use unmanned drones on the public's land...Don't want he public shooting missles at folks I guess... WTF?

So how many of them have been used on federal property? maybe every one ever created..

The ranger was wrong!!! I'm sure that is no big surprise.

Private and commercial drones or UAV's (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) are legal in the US provided you do not exceed 400' elevation. You must maintain line of sight with the drone. And you must maintain control of the drone at all times.

It is also legal to mount a camera on the drone provided the other rules listed above are followed.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

FWIW- Nine states have laws regarding the use of drones and I believe Montana is one of the states. I'm not sure what the state laws are exactly and each state is different. Utah currently has no state laws regarding drones.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

I can see prohibitive use on Forest Service land if it's in a designated wilderness area. Heck, in the Mt. Timp Wilderness Area (where I deal with the USFS on a consistent basis) even the Ranger's themselves aren't allowed to cut downed trees with a chainsaw. No motorized use of any kind. I'm guessing a drone would fall under that designation. That being said, there has to be an airspace ceiling on overflight.
    Are we there yet?

The laws are all but clear on drone use. There may be a ruling in 2014, but until then, keep going!!!!!

But for the love, dont be stupid!!!!!!!

If you are going to do water shots, make sure it floats!!!!!!!!! Most drones sink pretty fast. In fact there is a real drone up in one of the great lakes that the military "Lost"

PS, there have been several drones up on timp, even up next to the shelter at the top. If pressed, I have no idea what you are talking about!

PS, Utah probably has the highest concentration of civillian rc drone stuff in the country. Some pretty cool stuff being down along the wasatch front with these. I would share some videos, but more eyes is not always the best thing for some videos.

A couple years ago there was a Bogley member that had some great video shot from a drone in Snow Canyon.

The drone will never replace the tried and true solid head board mount.

Does a paper airplane classify as a drone?

Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.