Thread: Tran Zion Hike - Chance of Getting a Permt in May?

Tran Zion Hike - Chance of Getting a Permt in May?

I am trying to handicap the odds of scoring backcountry permits to do the Trans Zion hike.

We hope to begin hiking Thurs, May 8, 2014. I know we can camp at Lava Point without a permit, and on the East Rim portion -- so I think we just need a spot at LaVerkin and West Rim . . .

There are five of us. I know we can apply online three months out. I also see half the permits are for walk-in only.

We are all flying from Iowa to Vegas, driving to Zion, and like to know our chances before we buy plane tickets

I have hiked the Grand Canyon and, Good Lord, there was no shortage of information on your chances of getting a backcountry permit. I applied for Rim to Rim last year and was immediately denied, and applied minutes later for Tanner-Escalante-Grand view and immediately got a permit

Anyone want to share your experiences in getting a permit?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I believe Lava Pt still has only has 6 campsites and is acccessible by road, i.e., campground likely will fill up especially during the weekend. Perhaps seek a permit for camping at-large along the Wildcat Trail. Likewise, seek a permit for at-large camping in the Stave Spring area on the East Rim Trail.

Someone with recent designated site experience will hopefully respond, but I would think you'd have an easier time getting a La Verkin permit for Thursday nite than a West Rim one for Saturday nite. For the latter, you could always have a backup plan of doing the whole West Rim trail in one day and taking the shuttle to the main canyon campgrounds and hopefully finding or reserving a site there.

I did the hike in June with campsites on the Wildcat, West Rim and East Rim. After doing it I would probably change the site I had on West Rim to one closer to the end and skip the East Rim site. Two nights are plenty. That being said, I did lose my hiking partner after the first day due to blisters so whatever is good for you. I didn't think it was hard to get permits at all. A little warning though-even in June it can get really cold at night in the higher elevations. Good luck and enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by pshey View Post
    I am trying to handicap the odds of scoring backcountry permits to do the Trans Zion hike.

We hope to begin hiking Thurs, May 8, 2014. I know we can camp at Lava Point without a permit, and on the East Rim portion -- so I think we just need a spot at LaVerkin and West Rim . . .

There are five of us. I know we can apply online three months out. I also see half the permits are for walk-in only.

We are all flying from Iowa to Vegas, driving to Zion, and like to know our chances before we buy plane tickets

I have hiked the Grand Canyon and, Good Lord, there was no shortage of information on your chances of getting a backcountry permit. I applied for Rim to Rim last year and was immediately denied, and applied minutes later for Tanner-Escalante-Grand view and immediately got a permit

Anyone want to share your experiences in getting a permit?
    I've done it 3 times without a permit ;-) but that is doing the whole traverse in 1 day. I've never backpacked the R2R in Zion, but for a breakdown of times on my last hike maybe it'll help you choose whether to do it in 3 days or 4 days (2 nights or 3 nights).

I left Lee Pass at Kolob Canyons at 3:05AM and arrived at the TH at Hop Valley at 7:05AM continuing on to arrive at West Rim TH at around 9:30AM, and continued down the West Rim Trail. My goal was 14 Hours for the whole R2R so I didn't want to take a break until the halfway point (7 Hours into the journey). I stopped at 10:05AM a couple miles down the West Rim to take off cold weather gear, remove headlamp, take in some calories and then pushed on at about 10:20AM. Pushed down The West Rim to arrive at The Grotto sometime around 1:30PM. Walked the road to Weeping Rock and started up the East Rim Trail. The sun had warmed it up considerably and I had a rough time going up. Kinda lost track of time but I do know I made it out to the East Rim TH on Rt. 9 at exactly 5:30PM......25 minutes shy of my 14 hour goal. Now......Keep in mind I did the hike without any support, drops or filling of water. I started the hike with 2 1/2 gallons of liquid, emergency supplies, change of clothing, high calorie foods, headlamp and batteries, etc. My pack weighed 24 lbs. and decreased as I pushed forward. I kept a moderately fast pace and powerwalked almost the entire way. Hopefully these times will give you an idea as to how far an fast you might feel comfortable travelling?

And PS: If you camp in the Park (within park boundaries) you'll need a backcountry camping permit.

6. Likes BlakeC, tanya liked this post