Thread: Our First Cave

Our First Cave

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I are heading up to Fulford Cave this coming Saturday. From what we've read this seems to be a good beginners cave. We have the helmets and light sources. No harness yet but it's coming soon! We were going to go a couple weeks ago but decided against it due to all the fresh snow and the still present winter weather advisory. We figured this all made it less than ideal for our first trip into a cave. Any suggestions or input on this cave in particular?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have never been to this cave but Based on the numerous pictures and information online it seems to be very popular non technical cave. if you are going in for your first time alone I suggest not doing so. but if you are dead set on it, study the cave map, take it with you, don't touch anything in the cave if you can help it etc. take your time and enjoy Name:  fulfordmap.jpg
Views: 3683
Size:  100.1 KB
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Blog Entries

Our First Cave

Looks fun! X2 to what DDOS said.

Please report back from your adventure. I have some cousins about 30miles from here who might be interested in going.

-Brett
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

One idea - take a roll of pink survey tape, loop it gently around a formation if you feel that you might get lost, retrieve it on your way out.

We did this on a certain public a and remote cave, we were not the first, as we found out.

Leviathan Cave in east NV is well worth a look. Camp overnight before and after. Take the regular route!! And mark your car's location with GPS (one bush looks much like another at dusk).

we have already applied for our permit, it appears just about every cave in the Colorado requires it now. We are familiar with the decontamination steps for WNS as well.

We will likely pick up a roll of the survey tape, that's a great idea and sould be fairly cheap!

We are not members of the local caving club, though we will likely join. When we applied for a permit a couple weeks ago we asked the USFD their thoughts on the road, they said it is plowed to the campground (though low priority) and then it's about a 2 mile hike to the cave entrance. Our forecast lately has been pretty mild, not much snow over the past couple weeks and it's been "warm" so we're hoping to be able to get to the campground and go from there.

Whenever we go out we always have plenty of water, some snack foods at the least, my backpacking stove, extra clothing, and our beacon.

I will definitely put up a trip report, whether we make it in or not!

Last edited by caverdan; 12-18-2013 at 04:09 PM. Reason: For clairity

How tight is this cave? I've done a few caves myself, but I'm a big guy and have a friend coming into town and would like to take him somewhere relatively easy later this month.

Quote Originally Posted by HardSciFi View Post
    How tight is this cave? I've done a few caves myself, but I'm a big guy and have a friend coming into town and would like to take him somewhere relatively easy later this month.
    We never made it in. We decided against going in alone for our first trip.