Thread: Rockslide in Rockville, UT

Rockslide in Rockville, UT

Sue Reynolds has just posted pictures on Facebook of a horrible rockslide in Rockville, Utah. Huge boulders broke off the mesa north of the highway and crushed a home. Two persons have died.

Anybody else in the area have any more info? This hasn't hit the local media yet. (Photos from Larry Heywood)

Name:  1459942_489517377828379_1393512204_n.jpg
Views: 2351
Size:  80.4 KBName:  936570_489517391161711_1899787677_n.jpg
Views: 2683
Size:  113.4 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Looking at the before picture.... where in the hell did the home owner think all those huge rocks in his yard came from?

This is not the first rock fall in Rockville to take out a house.

Reminds me of the dumbasses in St. George that build houses in the Virgin River flood plain and than express surprise when their house is flooded.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

7. Likes Absolute Gravity liked this post
    Got this from the article, google maps view. Also an interesting report about a rock that smashed a home next door in 2010.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=300+W...tah+84767&z=20

http://geology.utah.gov/online/ri/ri-270.pdf

On the bright side, the property now has 7 huge "house size" boulders instead of 6. Should make it even more aesthetically pleasing when they rebuild it.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

9. Likes Absolute Gravity liked this post
    That is one HUGE rock! VIDEO

Blog Entries
    Traveled 1/4 mile! Scary! Imagine hearing that thing tumbling down not knowing where it was until it was too late.

-Brett
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Looking at the video and Google satellite views, I think the circled section is what broke off. Also, another video had a view of the whole mesa and house from across the highway and you could see the lighter trail down the mesa left by the slide. Just to the right of the section I circled is a huge piece that has cracked away from the top; if that broke off, it would surely run clear across Highway 9.
    Name:  Rockville Rockslide.jpg
Views: 1117
Size:  58.4 KB

After seeing the google maps view I'm surprised anyone would even be allowed to build a home in that location, and even more surprised that an insurance company would insure it.

Insurance company do not insure against rock slides as it is an act of God. I know the Zion NP biologist who also happens to live in Rockville and who's house was also hit by a truck size rock about 10 years ago and the insurance company refused to pay for the damage. The rock pulverized his living room.

Big car size rocks rolling into Rockville is a fairly common occurrence. This is just the first to kill someone. But those who have been around Rockville for very long knew it was just a matter of time.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Similar happened in Italy yesterday, fortunately with no injuries:

Name:  _72644320_020843727-1.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  173.7 KB

Name:  nearmiss_zpsc5f6d68e.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  79.7 KB

BBC report

Bogley BigShot
    That was close!

rock n roll !!!!!!!!