Thread: Singe rope rap off stone knot/fiddlestick

Singe rope rap off stone knot/fiddlestick

I don't see a problem with this, but have never heard of anyone doing it so I figured it would be worth asking:

If I tied a water knot with one strand being a couple of feet and the other being the extent of the rope ~190 ft. And rappeled down the long single strand, are there any safety issues? I have only done this using double strand, but would be useful to do this to maximize rope length.
    Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hopefully, this question is being sent from the top of a rap! I got no answer, but just doesn't sound right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Hopefully, this question is being sent from the top of a rap! I got no answer, but just doesn't sound right to me.
    No, sitting in class thinking of creative ways to be super efficient and just thought of this. I don't see why it wouldn't be fine but figured I'd ask some more experienced canyoneers!

Thanks for the reply.

ummm... the isn't that one of the major benefits of a Fiddlestick? you are able to use the end of a rope to attach to your anchor, and then use the rest to rappel with.

I'm not sure I understand your question.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Brill,
    Your question may lack specificity, please provide additional information.
    Thanks,
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Brill301 View Post
    No, sitting in class thinking of creative ways to...
    English 1010??

Your thread title is very misleading because it contains 'stone knot' and 'fiddlestick'... and your questions contain neither one.

Care to rephrase your questions?
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    To me, the problem with the question is it indicates a low level of understanding of how ropes and canyoneering works. Which is not a problem unless you are leading canyons or otherwise claiming a certain level of competence.

Perhaps you should run through the basic knot section of my Tech Tips:

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/techt...e-eight-knots/

... and I hope you are going out with people that know what they are doing.

Tom

Any input on this knot that I have used in place of a Stoner. Very easy to undo too. Have also done a side- by- side rap off this beaner/knot. Could it be used with the Fiddlestick instead of the beaner? I don't have a FS so have not tried it. Just wondering....Name:  2013  Canyons, Kanab and hikes 054.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  136.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by sasteve49 View Post
    Any input on this knot that I have used in place of a Stoner. Very easy to undo too. Have also done a side- by- side rap off this beaner/knot. Could it be used with the Fiddlestick instead of the beaner? I don't have a FS so have not tried it. Just wondering....Name:  2013  Canyons, Kanab and hikes 054.jpg
    First impression of this knot is... uh..... I don't like it. It looks messy and complicated. Stone knot is very easy to tie, it works well, and it does't look confusing thus allowing my canyon team members to easily check my work (or vice versa).

What inspired you to use this knot instead of a Stone knot or other block?
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

11. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sasteve49 View Post
    It is just a more complex variation on a Stone Knot.

Not sure what the point is???

Tom