Thread: X-Country Skiing 2013 / 2014

X-Country Skiing 2013 / 2014

First x-country ski outing of the season Saturday morning. I went with a group of friends who were going to snowshoe from Tibble Fork Reservoir to Silver Lake Flat. I went with the intent of snowshoeing also, but threw my x-country ski gear in just in case. When we met up at the reservoir, I checked the road above the gate and decided there was enough snow to give the skiing a shot. It was snowing heavily with 4" or so of fresh powder at the reservoir. The other members of the group snowshoed up the trail to the reservoir- a much more direct route, whereas I ski'd up the road and probably double the distance. The first half of the trek I was following some other ski tracks. About halfway up, the tracks stopped and turned around so, from then on I was breaking trail. For about the last mile and a half there was about 12" of new powder, which made the trek pretty arduous, especially for my first time out this season. We didn't stay long at Silver Lake Flat as the wind was blowing there and we were getting cold from not moving. Skiing back down the road was slow going because of the fresh, deep snow and I was really working the upper body to propel myself. It was an awesome morning, we all had a blast and got in a great workout! http://www.strava.com/activities/99090980#Name:  Dec. 7, 2013 SLF.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  68.0 KB
    Are we there yet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice... Planning on breaking some trails above corner canyon tomorrow if I can find time :)...
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Skiing or snowshoe? Which trails? Because I've only x-country ski'd (no alpine) before, and that for only 3 seasons now, I would not do well on tight, steep singletrack trail.
    Are we there yet?

Excellent. Nice to have the place to yourself, huh? Not sure if snowmobiles are allowed on that side.
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

Snowmobiles are allowed past Tibble Fork, just not yet. Not sure when the Forest Service will open it up to them. I'm guessing there has to be a certain snow depth. It was nice not having to worry about getting the skis stuck in a snowmobile rut. Not a knock on snowmobiles. Sometimes they help the skiing (when there's fresh powder), sometimes they hurt it (when it's icy). If I x-country ski above either the Tibble Fork or Alpine Loop gates, I just know I'll need to deal with them and plan accordingly. We're all just having fun!
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    Skiing or snowshoe? Which trails? Because I've only x-country ski'd (no alpine) before, and that for only 3 seasons now, I would not do well on tight, steep singletrack trail.
    X-country... I am not great on singletrack either but I figure I won't get better without doing it HEHE.. Not sure what trails yet.. if Anns hasn't been trampled (doubtful) I wanna give it a shot -- I live in Suncrest so I figure I should use the trails in my backyard as much as I can :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

man I haven't been X-Country skiing forever. Each winter I plan on getting out though. Keep posting pics as you guys head out, maybe that will give me motivation to commit.

Yeah.. that turned into a HIke today... I waited tooooo long and every trail seems to have already been trampled down :(
    @tallsteve if you ever head up this way send me a message so I can tag along :)

Sounds good, Doss, and if you find anything in CC decent enough to ski, please pass it on. Sometime soon here, I'll start heading up to ski Round Valley in Park City most Saturday mornings. It's easy to get to, FREE, and there's 25 miles or so of groomed track.
    Are we there yet?

Went out today with the puppy here in the Corner canyon area.. only did about 3 miles when the dog decided to start bleeding at the paws (someone forgot the dog booties and is a terrible dog care provider :( ).. anyhow started on anns trail and it was a beautiful rolling fun :).. totally doable the entire way and will probably head out on Sunday and do a long trek sans dog :)

I have had a few cross country ski days this year. Mostly up around Snowbasin on the Ogden overlook and Sardine loop single track.

Also a little fatbiking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my favorite photos from last year xc skiing up at powder mountain before they opened.

Spent some time this afternoon hitting up the corner canyon trails.. Only did a few miles but the snow is perfect for breaking trail ! Taking my daughters out for a mile out and back tomorrow :)

Hey @eric, did you go all the way up to the Ogden Overlook?

Yeah I went all the way to the overlook, another day I skied the sardine loop.

Here are a few pictures if my recent XC trip in Yellowstone.

The x-country skiing has actually been pretty good at Little Mill (AF Canyon) the past week, even without fresh snow. The track is fast without being too icy. I've set a couple of Strava PR's the last 3 trips. Faster than some of the skate skiers even.
    Name:  1920368_10205583121762295_2185151440832120519_n.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  78.1 KB
    Are we there yet?

Perfect conditions at Round Valley (just outside of Park City) this morning. 1st tracks on most routes after being groomed.Name:  10801947_10206066872495761_2950394145140456271_n.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  49.4 KB
    Are we there yet?

Thanks for posting, I really need to try and get out this year at least once