Thread: Winter hike suggestions in St George / Zion area.

Winter hike suggestions in St George / Zion area.

I need some help picking a fun, moderate level canyon/hike in Southwestern Utah.

I'm headed south next weekend with my son to explore some canyons. I am experienced but looking for a fun canyon for my son and I to explore in the cold. Son is only 10 but climbs like a spider and a strong repeller.

Anybody have a suggestion for a winter hike in the St. George area?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Canyons will likely be miserable for a minute after the snow storm.

That said, do you want a hike, or a canyon?

I think a canyon would be great if the snow can clear out by then but a hike/scramble may be a better/safer option.
    I was looking at the North Guardian Angel hike but having not been there before, I don't know if is should be attempted if there is a potential of ice on the slope.

Thanks,

Cherry Canyon in the VRG is reasonable this time of year. You have to cross the Virgin River on the way out an back other than that it's generally dry.

What about Boltergeist or Yankee Doodle in the current conditions?
    Would the exit out Water Canyon still be wet?

We still have a decent amount of snow (for us). 4 inches on the ground maybe? But yeah everything gonna be slippery and wet.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    We still have a decent amount of snow (for us). 4 inches on the ground maybe? But yeah everything gonna be slippery and wet.
    Thanks for the on-location info. Any chance it will melt off by Sat./Sun?
    I'd love some hike, canyon suggestions for the weather. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionPacker View Post
    Thanks for the on-location info. Any chance it will melt off by Sat./Sun?
    I'd love some hike, canyon suggestions for the weather. Thanks.
    NP man! Yeah I think it will be mostly melted by this weekend, maybe just some left in shady spots. But I think the melting off will leave everything wet and muddy. So Yankee Doodle and Boltergeist will likely be full of water. Have you done Kanarra Creek yet? It will have quite bit more snow (being further North 40 mins), but that is an easy hike with easy access, and I bet it's breathtakingly gorgeous in winter, haven't gone yet though to see for myself.

Edit: sorry forgot Water canyon... I would not try water canyon personally. The entrance hike is very steep, and in snowy conditions possibly fatal. Plus the road getting there is super nasty unless you have 4wd. Again though havent tired that one on winter either. Same with the exit for Yankee doodle, although that will likely be clear by this weekend. :)

Edit 2; Here is a pic of what my full sun backyard looks like right now. I'll try to come back Friday and give you another update. :)

Name:  PC100032.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  90.4 KB

Great info, thank you. I'll steer clear of Bolt and Yankee until it dries out or warms up.

I think I will give Kanarra Creek a go on Saturday. and look for another option for Sunday. Maybe North Guardian Angel.

An update on the weather on Friday would be AWESOME!

Thanks,

With conditions right now, I hike St. George Blvd. and stop in for some custard at Nielsen's.
    Life is Good

Water Canyon is beautiful in the snow, but I wouldn't do it with a 10 yr old.

Pics from Feb. 12 https://www.facebook.com/TJCottam/me...8871500&type=3

No change, it's been freezing cold every day and pretty no snow has melted. I'd say a pretty solid 3 inches left, even in sunny spots. Good luck man!

Thanks for the update. I am coming south snow or no snow, so I guess we will see how it goes.

Thanks for the thread, I'd like to know where you ended up going. I've taken my 8 year old backpacking quite a bit (his biggest trips are 6 days up the back side of mt. Whitney and 5 days in Zions last year), trying to ease him into climbing and rappelling. We're also looking for places down south to go this time of year.